What Are Some Of Your Future Mod Ideas?

UwUMachine

What would be some mod ideas that you would like to see in the future whenever the game gets offical support, if ever? I say mods and not features cause you may have an idea that sounds good as a mod but not an offical feature. In my personal opinion, even if I do like the art style of the game, I feel like a mod making the game look more realistic looking would be nice. Also, a mod which turns it to summer would be fun. 

• Upvote 1

The best mods, in my opinion, were the ones that added new items to craft and gather.

The food mod expanded the menu, including rice, new kinds of canned fruits, SPAM, canned chili, and corn flakes, among others.

There was a statuette mod that let you carve wolves, bears, moose, and I think a couple other things. It was a good way to pass time, and worked the same as crafting.

The instruments pack was nice, giving you a guitar and harmonica to find and practice with, adding a new skill that improved the quality of the song you played. It was also nice because you could actually add songs to the mod folder that the game would randomly pick from to play when you practiced. I think there was plans to add other instruments beyond the guitar and harmonica.

Binoculars were good, and something the game really would benefit from even as an added feature.

Other than those, there were other mods that sped up drawing speed when mapping, made chopping wood faster, made killing rabbits easier with rocks, rather than just stunning them. There was a mod that balanced water collecting by requiring you to have something to carry it in, not just automatically creating a bottle when emptying a toilet, for instance. It also added a craftable waterskin.

Those are all the ones that come to mind now, but I know there were plenty more.

On that note I did see that someone has created a modloader that works with the current 1.69 version, but from what I could see there wasn't much in the way of mods available.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Silverhour said:

The best mods, in my opinion, were the ones that added new items to craft and gather.

The food mod expanded the menu, including rice, new kinds of canned fruits, SPAM, canned chili, and corn flakes, among others.

There was a statuette mod that let you carve wolves, bears, moose, and I think a couple other things. It was a good way to pass time, and worked the same as crafting.

The instruments pack was nice, giving you a guitar and harmonica to find and practice with, adding a new skill that improved the quality of the song you played. It was also nice because you could actually add songs to the mod folder that the game would randomly pick from to play when you practiced. I think there was plans to add other instruments beyond the guitar and harmonica.

Binoculars were good, and something the game really would benefit from even as an added feature.

Other than those, there were other mods that sped up drawing speed when mapping, made chopping wood faster, made killing rabbits easier with rocks, rather than just stunning them. There was a mod that balanced water collecting by requiring you to have something to carry it in, not just automatically creating a bottle when emptying a toilet, for instance. It also added a craftable waterskin.

Those are all the ones that come to mind now, but I know there were plenty more.

On that note I did see that someone has created a modloader that works with the current 1.69 version, but from what I could see there wasn't much in the way of mods available.

I never knew there were so many mods in the past! :o

Guest jeffpeng

Personally .... mods that either re-imagine existing gameplay mechanics - like the one that indroduced a new, and in my opinion better, calorie system, or the one that eventually drowned the world in perpetual darkness (yes I know their names, yet I will comply with forum guidelines and not advertise them) - or that add genuinely new content to the game like expanded or totally new maps, new challenges or even a community made story.

I feel like there isn't much use in having cat food in the game if it's just different dog food, of a can of chili if it's just different Pork'n'Beans. In my eyes those are superfluous things that only clutter up an otherwise pretty clean game. Also I don't consider mods useful just because they make some aspect much harder/much easier without actually introducing something interesting. 

But everyone their own.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:57 AM, jeffpeng said:

Personally .... mods that either re-imagine existing gameplay mechanics - like the one that indroduced a new, and in my opinion better, calorie system, or the one that eventually drowned the world in perpetual darkness (yes I know their names, yet I will comply with forum guidelines and not advertise them) - or that add genuinely new content to the game like expanded or totally new maps, new challenges or even a community made story.

I feel like there isn't much use in having cat food in the game if it's just different dog food, of a can of chili if it's just different Pork'n'Beans. In my eyes those are superfluous things that only clutter up an otherwise pretty clean game. Also I don't consider mods useful just because they make some aspect much harder/much easier without actually introducing something interesting. 

But everyone their own.

Oh for sure. You're not wrong there either. A 3rd party map would definitely be interesting, to see what a non-dev came up with. It would also be interesting to see someone work out mechanics for the various animals that have been suggested in the past (foxes, mountain lions, Canadian geese, etc) and the benefits/risks of pursuing them.

• Upvote 1

Ones I'd Use for every playthrough:

More base customization: candles, moving containers, fixing holes, and arranging furniture, but I wouldn't build log cabins or anything. 

Better snow shelters: They don't become completely ruined but instead just fall into a state of disrepair. 

New Maps: I want a Glacier/Moraine, A First Nations reservation, 

Better custom mode settings

Meaningful new food items (they cant just be a re-skinned, higher calorie pork and beans, unless they're PANCAKES)

Fishing Overhaul: A flag pole one, bait, Fish bone sewing kit??

Quality of life mods (mostly to deal with UI issues or certain workarounds

Scent mechanic overhaul that makes carrying SOME meat viable. 

Bear proof containers.

More crafting: Heavy Bow, 

Scavenger Animals so you cant leave out meat unless its in a bear-proof container (like pre-made ones and car trunks. )

More animals in general

Better Item Placement and rotation

THUNDERSNOW

Mending skill requires less repairs

And much more...

Ones I'd use for the experience/novelty a few times:

Funny Mods

Cryptids: Sasquatch/Wendigo/Werewolf

Other Survivors (Moving to top list if they're implemented really well)

And much more...

• Upvote 2

I tend to be interested in things that make it so I can see myself getting into trouble but also have time to fix it. Obviously I would only know how things play if I tried it, but my ideas are things like:

Making wildlife much more rare but also drop more meat. You can see your food supply dropping and know you need more, but you won't find deer and wolves around every corner.

Having buildings get colder/warmer depending on the temperature outside. This could be part of a larger thing where you can do things like improve the insulation of a home, have fires warm buildings with larger houses taking more wood to keep warm than smaller ones, etc.

Extra long blizzards could be interesting too, possibly.

Fat. Your character can put on or lose weight over time, depending on how much you eat. If you lose too much weight you start to lose carry capacity and eventually die.

non-T1000, but existent, sleep regen. Currently our options are no regen at all or healing insanely fast

Some things that just make sense. Using a big rock to break the ice at a fishing hut for example.

Making it so even the best loot can be found on low loot settings(though very rarely). This would give more reason to explore.

Greatly reducing or removing things like clothing decay inside houses. This would also encourage exploring even late game.

• Upvote 2

Nice suggestion^

Must say,I have been away for awhile and like what I came back to.I suggested stuff way back in 2015 like the paper doll and its in and superb! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Removal of the joke lines when near death.Fading out at 1% health and telling jokes just ruins the feel.

Thermos that holds 3 drinks warm for 12 hours.Watched a Utuber make 15 various teas and wondered where he stored it all.

Hand up blocking wind when you are traveling against strong winds.Annoyance can be removed with found goggles.

Actual temp always on screen to give a sense of the actual cold you are traveling thru.

A very slight blue tinting of screen when player starts losing condition from cold,constant shivering hen losing condition from cold and the shivering goes away if you become hypothermic and the line plays "so cold I think I am getting warmer".

• Upvote 2