Entire Great Bear Map

cullam

I'm working on a challenge playthrough where I'm not allowed to light any fires - try and find the max survivable time. To do this, I'll probably need to do some route planning through the whole map. So since I had to make this anyway, I figured I'd share it! 

GreatBearMaster.thumb.png.2639e02d4d79ef72e7026cec8ba1eb65.png

Edited by cullam
photo error
  • Upvote 4

Nicely done!  I'd also tried to do this in the past, using the rivers and lakes as guidelines to orient and resize the regional maps, to correspond to the world one.  We pretty much came to the same general conclusions.  The way the world is shaped, I would expect Perseverance Mills to be in the gap between MT and PV...but Astrid somehow managed to traverse that entire region without encountering the town.  So I'm wondering how that's going to end up in the game.

Edit: Without starting any fires, your main killer is going to be thirst.  You can power through food poisoning from raw meat, but even acquiring unpotable water requires a fire.  I'd put your max survival time at maybe 30 days, as a best case scenario.

frankenstein map.JPG

Edited by ajb1978
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I would expect Perseverance Mills to be in the gap between MT and PV...but Astrid somehow managed to traverse that entire region without encountering the town.

Astrid was found on the other side of the collapsed tunnel with the bus in Milton.  Molley lugged her back to the farmhouse in Pleasant Valley.   The road that leads to the Long Curve is currently a dead end which should open up.  As for the Big House my guess is the east coast urban area.  The road leads to another road collapse dead end, which might lead to Perseverance Mills.

screen_ef49425c-f2c5-4e9c-9646-45a324c30fea_hi.thumb.png.9cef3ad40839049c2a57834867b2539c.png

screen_5f05b967-5aab-4993-ac4e-8616f21412a5_hi.thumb.png.27c2a7192cf29319defc2b3bd8356a9c.png

In the image the bus can be seen in the tunnel.

screen_3478e294-8c3c-413d-b200-da77e881d64b_hi.thumb.png.533c185d0458ee4a2db0e7f65fce01e1.png

Went back and checked and either there are more than one bus or that bus is suffering from time dilation.

12 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The way the world is shaped, I would expect Perseverance Mills to be in the gap between MT and PV...but Astrid somehow managed to traverse that entire region without encountering the town.  So I'm wondering how that's going to end up in the game.

I don’t think that fits the narrative.

At the end of Elegy, the coal mine to CH is revealed as an alternative to get to Perseverance Mills.

That would place PersMills at the east or north-east of the map, potentially on the coastal highway past desolation point.

-t

Edited by turtle777

43 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

I don't think that fits the narrative.

Well it doesn't.  The point of contention is that the narrative doesn't fit the geography, unless the narrative has changed.  Which I suppose it might have...Predux Jeremiah described Perseverance Mills as a "shit nothing town a few hours north", but the Coastal Highway is to the southeast.  And looking at how far away from Pleasant Valley Milton is, you could fit two additional regions in there easy.  That's just not plausible that Molly would have walked THAT far in search of deer to hunt.

The narrative is that Astrid made it just past the collapsed tunnel, passed out on the other side, and was found by Molly.  But geographically, that just doesn't fit.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

That's just not plausible that Molly would have walked THAT far in search of deer to hunt.

Was just thinking of this while strolling over to The Long Curve.screen_bc161e50-630d-4497-96c4-248ebcf2b3f6_hi.thumb.png.2338198f7a193c21b65acd8043babbf9.png

There is a cave across from the Radio Hut and could open up as a cave system like the one to Winding River.  Maybe this cave system transition is a short cut to the Milton tunnel area.  There seems to be a lot of these cave systems similar to the one from Mystery Lake to Milton.  Also this new area could be a predator free zone similar to the Ravine.

Edited by Ice Hole

Here is the old map of great bear island.

tumblr_oh219uJPhc1qdwahko1_1280.jpg

There have been changes.  Timberwolf Mountain seems odd.

There is a road from Pleasant Valley and it follows the river which leads to the tunnel to Milton.  The Episode one location.

That pink coastal region might be Perseverance Mills. 

Wonder if episode two and three from this old map are the next two chapters(four and five) coming soon.

Edited by Ice Hole
  • Like 1

The world map has definitely changed over time.  Really the only solid clues we have as to the location and orientation of the regional maps are the waterways represented on the world map.  That's why on my version, some of the regions don't directly touch.  Like the gap between FM and ML--when I resized the maps such that the lakes and rivers were the same size and shape as the ones on the world map, those regions don't touch.  If they redraw the world map at some point, that would give a lot of flexibility on how the regions are laid out.

I feel like we're a bunch of frontiersmen gathering around a campfire trying to sort out what our maps say, vs. what the local legends say.

• Like 3

Yes it does seem odd the Molly dragged Astrid to the farmhouse after she escaped the tunnel collapse. Is it possible that Molly is a liar and was associated with the prisoners somehow and was somehow in Milton then brought Astrid who was sleeping all the way through some unknown region to Winding River then to farmhouse. 

FM to ML pretty much has to be zero gap, as the implication is that you're walking directly into the other one, when you cross over. The size of a lot of the mines is a big question mark. And of course, I might not have sized things correctly. I was doing a certain amount of gut feel - "Does this map feel about x% the size of this other map, when walking across them?"

It's silly, I know... but it does bother me a little bit, but it seems the orientation of the maps doesn't jive with the movement of the sun and the alignment of the cardinal directions (in relation to each region and the overall world map).  I can never trust that "sun rise east"  is going to correspond to the map in the way it appears the region should orient (at least in relation to the movement of the sun compared to all the other regions - there doesn't seem to be that consistency at the "world map" level).  As an old land nav-er it just bothers me... it doesn't affect gameplay or the experience at all so ultimately it's not an issue (since it's easy to say it's only locally significant anyhow... and you'd be right)  ...it's just the one little thing that bugs me. :D 

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
Altered a confusingly worded sentence...

34 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

It's silly, I know... but it does bother me a little bit, but it seems the orientation of the maps doesn't jive with the movement of the sun and the alignment of the cardinal directions (in relation to each region and the overall world map). 

Yeah I'd imagine that could be problematic for new players who would think (and rightly so) that they can use the sun for navigation.  Part of the problem is the regions aren't even oriented the same way with respect to the world as they were in the past.  For instance comparing that color map of Great Bear Island with the world map we have in-game today, using the river and Crystal Lake as our reference point, Timberwolf Mountain was rotated about 100 degrees counterclockwise.  Assuming the sun was a perfect east-west before, now suddenly the sun tracks north/south.

@cullam
Well, I'm specifically talking about if you were to make a simple "day arch" (a line representing the path the sun takes a cross the sky at any given latitude) and draw it across the world map... that is roughly how the sun should move across the sky in each respective region; from that base reference point.

I wasn't talking about the orientations of our charcoal maps with respect to the "world map" because that is not really relevant (as maps can be drawn from any number of different perspectives - that's why most maps have a Compass Rose on them)...  I was referring to the astronomical orientation.

And again... I'm not making a complaint per se, as it doesn't impact gameplay or the experience.  It's just something that stood out to a person who has done a lot of Land Nav.  :D  And as @ajb1978 mentioned, it was indeed a bit disorienting/jarring when I played way back in the earlier days (before I got familiar with the landscape itself).  However, I quickly acknowledged it and accepted that (to date) the sun is only really locally significant to each region individually...  Once one accepts that, then we can still easily use it to assist navigation within each region just fine. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I was also thinking that Perseverance Mills could be north, but also a little bit east. Astrid is going to CH to hit the road, and then she can go far north if there is a new region added north of DP. It would make sense since a larger town is likely to be on the coast and traversing the interior of the island (going from the Long Curve area north) would be harder than going around on the road. However, this contradicts the notion a lot of people had (including myself) about Perseverance Mills being north of PV. 

• 3 weeks later...

Actually something just occurred to me, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not noticing this sooner, but Timberwolf Mountain has a problem now.  Echo Peak West and Echo Peak East are misnamed, because Echo Peak West is in the east, and Echo Peak East is in the west, if you orient the map the way the current world map suggests.  If you look at the old color map where TWM is turned 90 degrees clockwise, then yes the peaks are named correctly, but current state they are not.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, ManicManiac said:

It's silly, I know... but it does bother me a little bit, but it seems the orientation of the maps doesn't jive with the movement of the sun and the alignment of the cardinal directions (in relation to each region and the overall world map).  I can never trust that "sun rise east"  is going to correspond to the map in the way it appears the region should orient (at least in relation to the movement of the sun compared to all the other regions - there doesn't seem to be that consistency at the "world map" level).  As an old land nav-er it just bothers me... it doesn't affect gameplay or the experience at all so ultimately it's not an issue (since it's easy to say it's only locally significant anyhow... and you'd be right)  ...it's just the one little thing that bugs me. :D 

If you go by the sun in Mystery Lake then north is actually the right side of the world map, not the top.  while that hurts my brain slightly, it hurts less now, I just need to spin the maps and they make more sense with what I'm seeing world wise. :D