Change sticks to stack like bullets if dropped

Mroz4k

Would you like for ingame sticks to "stack together" as a pile of sticks when dropped in bundles?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is very simple (in theory) suggestion for quality of life, but I am certain a lot of people would be very happy with this.

Right now, bullets have "two types" of textures when dropped to the ground. A single rifle bullet if it is just 1 bullet dropped, or a box of ammunition if you drop more then 1 bullet at the same time.

I propose sticks work the same way.

If its a single stick, drop it to the ground and it will look like a normal single stick.

But if you drop 2 or more sticks (for example 15 sticks) at the same time, they would have a texture of several sticks lying together in a pile, and it would show up as "pile of sticks (15)", similarly as Bullets would, if you dropped 15 bullets to the ground at the same time (it would show up as "box of ammunition (15)").

This type of stacking would significantly reduce the frustration of having to pick up dropped sticks if there is a huge number of them (and significantly increase the life one gaming mouse, without needing to "click a hundred times".)

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

There are many topics about that (be it sticks or other items which get a number in the inventory), every one of them with nice suggestions, and I approve them all.

The main advantage to doing it this way, in my opinion, is that it could technically use most of the code-work that already exists in the game, with bullets :). Therefore, apart of having to animate the pile of sticks, Id guess this wouldn't take that much time to put it into the game :).

I think the problems with having variable number of sticks in a given "bundle" would make the suggestion unworkable, too many possible variables to keep track of, but if the number of sticks were fixed, say 25 sticks per bundle, it might not be a big problem. 

If it were implemented I would not complain, I  think.

30 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

I think the problems with having variable number of sticks in a given "bundle" would make the suggestion unworkable, too many possible variables to keep track of, but if the number of sticks were fixed, say 25 sticks per bundle, it might not be a big problem. 

If it were implemented I would not complain, I  think.

I dont get it. Why would it not work for sticks if this already works in the game for bullets? You can drop a bundle of 200 rifle rounds to the ground and it will note it as such. Well, technically, it will only say "bundle of sticks" if you attempt to pick it up, it would say how many sticks it contains.

20190429031947_1.thumb.jpg.37322878b5cdc81ea3da67de73f65472.jpg

Another example would be a box of matches.

Yes, and I'll take this opportunity to bring up a wish list item I entered on the Steam forums a long time ago: Craftable stick bundles that act as a single firewood item.  Solely for the convenience of managing large amounts of sticks.  3 bundle sizes: Small, Medium, and Large.  Small = 10 sticks, Medium = 20 sticks, Large = 40 sticks.  Crafting time 5 minutes, requires 1 fishing line and of course the requisite # of sticks.  The stick bundle simply counts as adding that many sticks to a fire, both in terms of duration and heat, and weighs the same amount as that many sticks plus the line.  It is in all ways identical to adding all those sticks, but it's done all at once instead of having to mash the button dozens of times.

(Edit: And of course you could harvest a stick bundle to get the individual sticks back in your inventory if you want.)

I looked at things differently.

I do not assume that there will be one convenient bundle (possibly of variable size depending on how many sticks it contained). That is where my comment would come from.

I typically have many hundreds of sticks at my long-term bases. Hehehe, I had so many neatly stacked up next to the upstairs Camp Office stove that just getting out the Camp Office took almost a full minute. Breaking that huge stack of 900 sticks into piles of 100 sticks solved that. I collected more sticks so I now have piles of 100 sticks all over the Camp Office.  :) 

10 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Yes, and I'll take this opportunity to bring up a wish list item I entered on the Steam forums a long time ago: Craftable stick bundles that act as a single firewood item.  Solely for the convenience of managing large amounts of sticks.  3 bundle sizes: Small, Medium, and Large.  Small = 10 sticks, Medium = 20 sticks, Large = 40 sticks.  Crafting time 5 minutes, requires 1 fishing line and of course the requisite # of sticks.  The stick bundle simply counts as adding that many sticks to a fire, both in terms of duration and heat, and weighs the same amount as that many sticks plus the line.  It is in all ways identical to adding all those sticks, but it's done all at once instead of having to mash the button dozens of times.

(Edit: And of course you could harvest a stick bundle to get the individual sticks back in your inventory if you want.)

I remember that idea showing up here on Wish list several times in the past, and while I see where the potential in this is as well, I don't think it's worth the spend time developing such an item, because as long as you can pick up sticks in bundles from the ground, adding them onto the fire is not that big of a chore, unless you plan to build a massive fire that lasts 8 hours or longer, using only sticks. Their main advantage is that you can sort of "micromanage" the fire burning time using additional sticks by adding them onto the fire individually. What you suggest is turning sticks into a sort of "craftable firelog", but that also means new crafting recipes and much more work with coding. But I can see how it could benefit the people who use mostly sticks for fires whenever possible.

Yeah that is my playstyle--stick fires.  I never chop firewood, I just Hoover up sticks as I go from place to place.  Since the overwhelming majority (99%+) of my fires are made primarily from sticks, craftable stick bundles would be a huge benefit to me.

8 hours ago, Hawk said:

I have autohotkey. I use it for walking. What would the code be, that could be added to the ahk file, for picking up a bunch of sticks?

I also wish we could either enter a number or use the arrow keys to designate a quantity  to drop or move to a container of a selected item.

I use this to turn the e key into a spastic-clicker.  And before you ask no, it doesn't work with wolf struggles ;)  It does however make picking up tons of junk, or quickly emptying my inventory, a lot easier on my nascent arthritis.

#IfWinActive ahk_exe tld.exe
e::
    While GetKeyState("e", "p"){
        Click
    }
return

3 hours ago, Hawk said:

Thanks! I'll give that a try. :)

I have the code for the wolf struggles, but I don't use it.

Edit 1: I tried it and I like it. Thanks! 👍

What is the "p" for in the 'While GetKeyState' line?

The P indicates "pressed".  The plain English translation of the code is "as long as the E key is pressed, click and repeat".

I think that for larger quantities of sticks (say... 25 or more) having them drop in "bundles" would be a nice touch.  After all when we boil water we suddenly have new bottles, why not materialize some cordage when we gather a sufficient a mount of sticks?  :) 

*yes I know this was discussed early on in the conversation, just thought I would add my two cents...

Archived