Favorite Location In The Long Dark

Tri13

I'm posting this wondering about everybody's favorite location in The Long Dark personally my favorite place to go is the town that has the Quonset Garage in it or just coastal high way in general. Not asking for favorite region, Favorite specific location pls say down below.

I really like the Mountaineer's Lodge and Crystal Lake.  Manageable amount of wolves, with clear lines of sight; plenty of wood; rabbits, deer and a bear over the hill.  Not to mention fish.  About the only things missing are coal and cloth.  Oh, and it's pretty too.

Another favorite is an unnamed cave on the east side of PV, near the picnic and pond.  Not the forest cave, but a more secluded spot on the edge of the map.  Not sure why, i just like it.

I always like visiting Crumbling Highway for its rock formations and cave down on the beach. Monolith Lake and Milton Basin are also very nice. I like the wilder-feeling places, I guess.

But there's also something very homely about the wooden hut in the clearing just down from the collapsed railway tunnel in Coastal Highway.

4 hours ago, Pillock said:

I always like visiting Crumbling Highway for its rock formations and cave down on the beach.

I just found that a couple of weeks ago! I've got a good thousand hours on the game, and somehow missed it completely for that long.

The Forest Cave in PV is an awesome base. Once you get up to fire five, you just run a permafire, and there's plenty of wood around there. Just up the hill there's fishing, there's deer, and sometimes the moose spawns on the pond.

The cave near three strikes is also a good long term base on PV.

I like Trapper's on ML, and the addition of the cave to Milton just ups its value.

I don't like living in places like the dam or the maintenance shed; the crumbling industry thing doesn't really do it for me. I had my Voyageur guy up in HRV for three months or so, and it was great. But he went in as a tank... I've croaked a few times in there now when I've started there. Don't get me wrong, I'll go loot them, but the old industrial ruins aren't really my favourite places to hang out. The outdoor/indoor part of the maintenance shed is actually incredible from a game play perspective; one of the absolutely best locations on the map, but aesthetically I prefer to have less of that stuff in my FOV while I'm playing, not more.

Fishing Village on CH. The outdoor crafting table just makes it awesome.

Mountaineer's hut. You can live for a long time on TWM once you get yourself in shape. It's a beautiful map. The Waterfall cave is also a great place to live for a while, as is the cave in the Deer Clearing.

HRV is also incredible. It's all cave living there, but man, the views on that map are awesome.

You might be noticing a trend here :)

35 minutes ago, stratvox said:

just found that a couple of weeks ago! I've got a good thousand hours on the game, and somehow missed it completely for that long.

Don't feel bad. I also have a good thousand hours, and I only just went up to the summit of Timberwolf for the first time the other day!

I'd always known it's there, of course, but somehow never had occasion to actually go up and see for myself. Now my character is camped in the Tail Section wondering what the hell to do next...

Apart from the obvious candidates, another place that has grown on me is the Radio Control Hut on Signal Hill in Pleasant Valley. For me it works a bit like a Lookout, but it's less cumbersome to reach, and I like the shortcut (climbing down the cliff) that gets you to the main road near the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse. Overall, I find it to be a nice strategic position and I feel more protected than in the Farmhouse or Barn, especially when it's time to go outside.

For pure survivability, I like the Trapper's Cabin - easy access to hunting grounds, firewood etc., good storage options, stove with good cooking options.

My favourite region i probably Desolation Point, with the sad old whaling boat and processing plant, the derelict church and the iconic light house. For a single spot, I'd probably say the signal fire in Hushed River Valley. The view from there is fantastic, a great place to admire the scale and wonderful aesthetic of the game.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:30 AM, NardoLoopa said:

I really like the Mountaineer's Lodge and Crystal Lake.  Manageable amount of wolves, with clear lines of sight; plenty of wood; rabbits, deer and a bear over the hill.  Not to mention fish.  About the only things missing are coal and cloth.  Oh, and it's pretty too.

Another favorite is an unnamed cave on the east side of PV, near the picnic and pond.  Not the forest cave, but a more secluded spot on the edge of the map.  Not sure why, i just like it.

Wait whats crystal lake ive never been to it as I can remember.

My favourite location and of most of the player base I presume is the Mountaineer's Hut, not to be confused with the Hunting Lodge. B|

Something about watching a blizzard through the little mountain shaped opening on the door. We need more transitionless buildings like the Milton Park office, and the Maintenance Yard office. 

Archived