Mod ideas

FunkyFuggerson

If modding was ever to come up for The long dark what would you add? id probably just make a mod which makes Mackenzie's beard get longer the longer you survive, with it being at your knees by day 500-700. Id also bring back the old skill book skins, as the new ones are garbage compared to what the old ones looked like. Also, would the long dark mod community become like skyrims? With tactical nukes you can send down upon wolves, and sonic the hedgehog being added as a creature wandering the wilderness. I think I cool mod idea would be you playing on the great bear and in all the regions, but 1 year after the aurora turned the lights off. It would be a harder interloper basically, and there would be more lore and locations. I know this thread has probably been done before but any cool mod ideas you wanna talk about? Also, I didn't put this in wish list because this isn't really a wish list sort of thing, maybe it is? Whatever.

Assuming I could figure out how to mod the game, I would basically start with wish list items I've entered in the past.  Being able to craft coat, pants, boots, mittens, and hat with any kind of hide, having benefits and drawbacks to the hide you've chosen for the project.  Having flashlights retain their charge after an aurora, but only charge when the aurora is in the sky.  Being able to heat up plain water and drink it, for a warmth bonus.  A "mount up" button, to allow you to climb up on top of small obstacles if you are pressed up right against them (like climbing on top of a box or over a fallen tree).  Eliminate sprains from walking, but treat them more severely when they occur from a freefall or animal attack.  Sprains take several days to fully heal, although you can take painkillers or drink rose hip tea for temporary pain relief.  A craftable loot bag that can be used for static storage anywhere. (Static meaning once placed, it's there until you break it down, like a snow shelter.) A sledge that you "wear" as a clothing item, for a substantial carry weight bonus, at the expense of sprinting or climbing, to simulate the fact that you're dragging it behind you through the snow.  The ability to harvest tinder plugs from hay bales.  Add binoculars as an item for long distance viewing.  Add a craftable prybar to the forge menu.  A static craftable bearskin bed, requiring like 4 bear hides and 20 gut, but becomes a +8C bed where placed, that does not degrade with use.  (Would be large, ideal for cave placement, too large for a fishing hut or something.)  A craftable static workbench, that consumes an entire toolkit along with reclaimed wood and scrap metal, in exchange for a workbench anywhere...like in a cave alongside your new bearhide bed and loot bags.

Lots of things I've thought of over the years...too many to remember on the spot though.  All of which would I think be good candidates for modders to implement.

8 hours ago, Skelegutplays said:

Pokemono GO mod so that u can go to TWM for pokemon instead of loot.

When Pokemon Go first came out, I had a dream where Hinterland released "The Long Dark Go", which you played on your phone using GPS.  You'd have to evade wolves in real-time, search local hotspots for resources, and if you wanted to shoot a wolf you did so using your phone's camera with an augmented-reality wolf overlaid over the camera's image.  Line up the crosshairs, tap the screen to shoot.

I mean it was a really detailed dream, to the point that I woke up and was angry that such a thing did not exist.

Post removed. 

As a reminder The Long Dark currently does not support modding. While we are fine with people discussing their support for future modding or talking about what mods they would like to see we do not allow directly referencing or linking to any existing mods.

Thank you for understanding.

I'd be happy with new items, like the binoculars, or new food/clothing varieties. New ways to pass the time would be fun too, like being able to whittle sticks/wood into placeable sculptures. Crafting more primitive/makeshift weapons would be useful, or improvising and using items outside of their currently restricted ranges. (A stick in the eye should deter a wolf as much as a knife in the side, and throwing clothes into a fire should burn.)

If people are skilled enough to craft whole new regions with new terrain I would definitely give those a look. Or even just new exploreable areas or places, like new vehicles (An RV or camper trailer) or adding new caves or houses to normally barren areas. New animals, like a mountain lion with harvestable claws/skin for tools and clothes, or a prairie chicken for a more reliable source of feathers and food, would be good.

I wouldn't look at game breaking mechanics or drastic overhauls though. I don't want a zombie threat or other alien and supernatural creatures roaming around, or suddenly have superpowers that let me fly or one-hit-kill anything.

4 hours ago, admin said:

Post removed. 

As a reminder The Long Dark currently does not support modding. While we are fine with people discussing their support for future modding or talking about what mods they would like to see we do not allow directly referencing or linking to any existing mods.

Thank you for understanding.

I dont understand, are you deleting this?

1 hour ago, Silverhour said:

If people are skilled enough to craft whole new regions with new terrain I would definitely give those a look.

I'm hoping there's support for exactly this.  A player-made region wouldn't have to connect to the rest of Great Bear either, just let folks load it like a challenge.

I say this as someone who has prototyped a small TLD area.  The fishing hut in my profile pic is from that build.   I'd love to try some world building with actual TLD assets, plus all the gameplay hooks of course.  :)

Fair warning!  I'm no game developer so I built this in the 'dimensions" housing system of the fantasy rpg mmo "Rift".  It was a ton of work to come even remotely close.   My blank slate was basically just a big circle of flat ice with some cyan colored ice mountains around the edges. Everything else I placed individually... often usually one little rock or rectangle at a time.  As you might expect from a fantasy game, the prebuilt assets were hilariously inappropriate for look and feel of TLD so I spent a lot of time tucking fantasy details behind rocks and snow. :P

2017-02-25_094457.thumb.jpg.de179069864359083cadb8bcb62196c8.jpg

2017-02-25_130030.thumb.jpg.d90392c82755b48fc62289f6622fad55.jpg

2017-02-25_125909.thumb.jpg.7cde4d763983e66683433a43198a89f0.jpg

2017-02-25_095852.thumb.jpg.1bce227a087bd3c301b1e46b88124274.jpg

2017-02-25_094707.thumb.jpg.a4201c38c951907c27680327fbe18edb.jpg

2017-02-25_101841.thumb.jpg.7a1d054f85338329300702f5300cc8b5.jpg

@Ruruwawa - nicely done there! 

I am hoping the new world/map building tool Raph showed a tease of in the Feb. 2018 Dev Diary:

Tools_001_small.gif.890258d58798523c4d23533f637b85bb.gif

... will be one of the Modding tools we get to play with, someday. I still have an Indigenous Peoples' Village map idea stuck in my brain, just waiting to be built. Someday... 

24 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I am hoping the new world/map building tool Raph showed a tease of in the Feb. 2018 Dev Diary:

... will be one of the Modding tools we get to play with, someday. 

One of the things I really liked about Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2; they included the Aurora toolkit with the game, and actively encouraged players to build their own levels.  There were some real gems that came out, and I even had my own module started, up until a hard drive crash cost me months of work, and ultimately destroyed my motivation to finish.

If we get some kind of map builder for TLD, that would just be amazing.  Especially if we can join those regions together, building custom game worlds.  I for one would be all over that like white on rice.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

One of the things I really liked about Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2; they included the Aurora toolkit with the game, and actively encouraged players to build their own levels.  There were some real gems that came out, and I even had my own module started, up until a hard drive crash cost me months of work, and ultimately destroyed my motivation to finish.

If we get some kind of map builder for TLD, that would just be amazing.  Especially if we can join those regions together, building custom game worlds.  I for one would be all over that like white on rice.

Id love to make my own region, though it seems like quite the daunting task.

2 hours ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Id love to make my own region, though it seems like quite the daunting task.

You certainly have to break it into segments.  Partition the work, and go from the ground up (literally--shaping the terrain is the first step).  I have no idea what it's like to build in Unity.  If it's anything like NWN2 map building, yeah it can take weeks or months to get a map just right, depending on the size and level of detail you want.  Although the toolkits in NWN and NWN2 were designed specifically to make it easy for untrained players to jump right in and start building.  Lots of prefabs, things snapped together kinda like legos.  Actually the snap-together parts were only for interior locations.  Outdoor environments it was kinda like stretching a plastic sheet to form your terrain, then adding in objects.  It felt very analog.

I would, and will if possible, make a mod to greatly reduce the animal population and respawn rates but also bump up meat levels to realistic amounts. I would also make wolves and bears more dangerous to fight but also make it so they have a much higher chance of not wanting to fight you in the first place. So pretty much a realism mod I guess.

9 hours ago, odizzido said:

I would, and will if possible, make a mod to greatly reduce the animal population and respawn rates but also bump up meat levels to realistic amounts. I would also make wolves and bears more dangerous to fight but also make it so they have a much higher chance of not wanting to fight you in the first place. So pretty much a realism mod I guess.

That would actually be something you could probably make in the custom difficulty toolbox. scept for the meat gains :(

Archived