Items now respawning?

CaveDweller

Just wondering what every one else is experiencing re. respawning items?

I've been on TWM since well before and after the recent update and have now had moose, rocks and rosehips respawn. Anyone know if this is just a one-off side effect of the update, or if our beloved long-term medicinal plants are now able to regrow their bounty?

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2018 at 6:31 AM, hozz1235 said:

When was the last time you played the game?

Every day - seriously - can't remember the last time I didn't.

On 25/04/2018 at 1:05 AM, Ape88 said:

I didn't know plants respawned either. I wonder what the respawn rate is.

I'm not sure they do, but if they don't then they should. At least in some regions.

31 minutes ago, TheEldritchGod said:

harvested over a year previously had respawned.

Interesting. I usually get bored with my runs around the 350 day mark and then try to science something stupid that will almost certainly end in death. Was your experience also preceded by an update?

9 hours ago, CaveDweller said:

Interesting. I usually get bored with my runs around the 350 day mark and then try to science something stupid that will almost certainly end in death. Was your experience also preceded by an update?

Not that I recall. But we are talking at least 365 days before returning to find the cattails had respawned. But that is a possibility.

On 04/05/2018 at 1:53 AM, Drifter Man said:

Possibly - I don't have a strong opinion either way. I never faced the problem of running out of mushrooms :)

Maybe you didn't play for long enough;)

(I once munched my through Mystery Lake's entire supply of mushrooms in the space of a week or so, and then had to go on specific mushroom raids to neighbouring regions to get more, just because I accidentally ate some raw bear meat. Don't accidentally eat raw bear meat.)

3 hours ago, Pillock said:

Don't accidentally eat raw bear meat

LOL! Was it the old 'eat before sleeping and accidentally click on my wolf bait' trick? I've done that a few times. Ended a loooong loper run that way - hard way to learn the valuable lesson, 'take the extra second to eat from inventory not the radial menu'.

9 hours ago, Pillock said:

Maybe you didn't play for long enough;)

(I once munched my through Mystery Lake's entire supply of mushrooms in the space of a week or so, and then had to go on specific mushroom raids to neighbouring regions to get more, just because I accidentally ate some raw bear meat. Don't accidentally eat raw bear meat.)

:D

Actually, to be honest, I processed nearly every mushroom in TWM into hot mushroom soup during my Interloper run. But the timeframe was only 130 days.

Anyway, I think that activity of most plant should drop to zero in this environment - so should they ever grow back?

I suspect some plant respawns have occurred between version updates - but could never tell for sure.

Without implementation of seasons first, any plant respawn would be absurd. Currently, we are experiencing an everlasting, frigid winter.

3 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Anyway, I think that activity of most plant should drop to zero in this environment - so should they ever grow back?

Yeah, I think I agree with that. It's not as though 365 days in TLD is the same as a normal "year" - it's winter all the time, and it gets progressively colder as time goes on. Presumably rosehips, saplings, cattails need a spring and a summer in order to germinate and grow? Not sure about mushrooms and old man's beard? They might be dormant in those temperatures too, they might not, for all I know. Anyway, all that stuff's not really included in the game mechanics.

8 hours ago, CaveDweller said:

LOL! Was it the old 'eat before sleeping and accidentally click on my wolf bait' trick? I've done that a few times. Ended a loooong loper run that way - hard way to learn the valuable lesson, 'take the extra second to eat from inventory not the radial menu'.

Actually, I was harvesting the bear. I was doing it in batches and dropping it on the ground in between, and it was getting quite repetitive so I was clicking around the menus as quickly as I could. I can't quite picture right now what the interface looks like in the current version, but at that time the "Drop" button was right next to the "Eat" button...

But for all the initial anger and frustration at my own carelessness, it actually produced a situation that I found to be a lot of fun - it suddenly gave my game a very specific objective. It was like being given a mission in the sandbox: find mushrooms, or you're going to die. I knew I didn't have enough to last the course of treatment (for some reason, maybe unluck of the draw, there didn't seem to be very many antibiotic tablets about), and after scouring every corner of Mystery Lake I still didn't have enough - it might have been when reishi tea cost 3 mushrooms instead of 2. Everything else that I'd been doing prior to that - casually fishing, trapping, exploring, spot of hunting, etc - went straight out of the window, and my sole focus turned to finding mushrooms as my maximum condition level gradually got lower and lower.

I really enjoyed it! I think the game could do with a lot more such afflictions, occuring more frequently, that require this type of focused activity to overcome. People complain that the open-ended structure of the Survival Mode often leaves them searching for things to do in order to keep them occupied: well, here's a very obvious and natural way for the game to organically give the sandbox player something to focus their time on. Make them sick and/or injured, and then make the recovery into a serious, time-consuming, effort-consuming, planning-required task, with a serious penalty if you fail to keep up with the treatment.

Either I'm going mad, or the option to edit your previous posts has disappeared! I was just going to add this to the above:

I did overcome the parasites and the food poisoning, and when I'd nursed myself back to health after a couple of weeks, it felt like I'd achieved something. It's one of those adventures from playing The Long Dark that lives long in the memory ... like the first time I was chased by a bear; or when I got stuck in the Ravine with no sleeping bag, or the time I spent an entire night out on a hillside nursing a 9 minute fire during a blizzard so that wouldn't freeze to death, only for morning to come, the sky to clear and me to realise that I was a stone's throw from Pleasant Valley Farmhouse the whole time.

15 hours ago, Pillock said:

Either I'm going mad, or the option to edit your previous posts has disappeared!

Nope, I've had it happen as well, seems erratic. Probably some logic we're not aware of!

16 hours ago, Pillock said:

make the recovery into a serious, time-consuming, effort-consuming, planning-required task, with a serious penalty if you fail to keep up with the treatment

I second this, it's one of the few 'real life' things I'd really like to see in the game. Kind of goes hand-in-hand with the poor hygiene = scent marks until you clean yourself up idea.

I agree with @Drifter Man on updates causing harvested plants to respawn... But specifically, I believe that updates that make changes to a stage (world/map) or certain parts of a stage will cause plants that are affected by those stage updates to be instantiated as unharvested. I must assert that I have ample justification to have this belief not only because I have enough technically knowledge to come to this conclusion but also because whenever an update makes any change to a stage, I will go to the location where the stage changes have been made in an old game and harvest those sweet new plants (go ahead and judge me, but this is The Long Dark, it pays to be opportunistic).

On 5/10/2018 at 12:46 AM, Pillock said:

Not sure about mushrooms and old man's beard? They might be dormant in those temperatures too, they might not, for all I know.

Basically yes... Well sort of. The best way to think about what happens to mushrooms and lichen in freezing weather would be to liken them to microbe samples in a freezer, their metabolism slows down so much it can be difficult to tell if they're dead. The reason is because they are microbes... well, they're macroscopic manifestations of microbial organisms.

On 5/10/2018 at 12:46 AM, Pillock said:

Anyway, all that stuff's not really included in the game mechanics.

I saw an old development road map once that had "changing seasons" as one of the goals so hopefully it will be included in the future. Then reharvestable plants might actually become a thing.

11 hours ago, shade_grey said:

saw an old development road map once that had "changing seasons" as one of the goals so hopefully it will be included in the future. Then reharvestable plants might actually become a thing.

I think it just said "seasons". They should keep summer short though, that way it becomes a crucial time window to get things done and if you miss certain tasks you must live through the next winter without. 

However, I am very much content with everlasting winter. And Im sure many others are who appreciate how low poly the environment is. In the summer Im not sure how theyd pull off the same art style and system specs.

It seems items like saplings only respawn if you use an old world when a new update comes out and only in areas that have been changed. I just start a new world every time. Interiors sometimes reset and all your items inside disappear if youre unlucky.

I swear with every update theres a new wolf spawn homestly...

5 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I think it just said "seasons". They should keep summer short though, that way it becomes a crucial time window to get things done and if you miss certain tasks you must live through the next winter without. 

I agree with you on that but I think that Hinterland's plans when it come to the other seasons would be to give each season its own set of problems and difficulties, similar to the seasons in Don't Starve. Freezing rain in spring, melted ice making a lot of places inaccessible, dangerous fauna active only in certain seasons, etc.

5 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

However, I am very much content with everlasting winter. And Im sure many others are who appreciate how low poly the environment is. In the summer Im not sure how theyd pull off the same art style and system specs.

The community is very important but it's still Hinterland's game. If they have certain plans for the game, it would be a shame if they didn't endeavour to follow through with those plans. We'll just have to wait and see how well it turns out and provide criticism.

Although yeah, eternal winter is fine. It works...

Archived