cairns

junglegreen

• 1 month later...

A number of them felt like trail markers to me. Others seemed to mark a site of importance either aesthetic or other.

Would be cool with us collecting stones now if we could craft one or two ingame. Like next to those who passed on or places we find special.  Just do it the same as campfires, even in the same pie menu.

I love the cairns, but I wish more of them had personal text (all of them, if I'm honest).  It's amazing how a scrap of paper or a little pile of rocks can add such a powerful human dimension to this lonely game. 

1 hour ago, Samsonguy920 said:

Would be cool with us collecting stones now if we could craft one or two ingame. Like next to those who passed on or places we find special.  Just do it the same as campfires, even in the same pie menu.

This would be wonderful addition to the game. 

15 hours ago, Samsonguy920 said:

A number of them felt like trail markers to me. Others seemed to mark a site of importance either aesthetic or other.

This is a cool idea, but I feel like it should be distinquishable from the "backer cairns" ingame, so maybe the crafted ones would look somewhat differently?
This would be one of a few ways to mark a location that is important to you, rather than having "signs" like people suggested, this seems to be more "natural" way to make a personal mark on the TLD world.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found 119 stone cairns in Survival Mode after a very thorough search of all areas, and many sprained ankles and wrists.  May have missed one or two but there is no way to get to 165 (has anyone found more?), so I presume the rest are in the locked Mountain Town area.  Waiting for it to be unlocked...

cairns.jpg

Yes this is indeed a lovely addition! :D

I agree that some of the cairns probably will be in hidden in the currently locked mountain town area and the roads leading towards it. I've already found some in the Broken Railroad section in a area which seems to be 'empty' compared to the rest of the map. There's a small wooden bridge across a ravine, but it's a dead end with a invisible wall and a locked gate, I assume this will be used in the future to access this mountain town map. But you can find number 28 'The Golten' and number 106 'Lost Cairn' in this area.

There's also a hidden cairn below that area. It's locate straight below the ravine where the wooden bridge lays on top. It's hidden in a rock blockage on the river which goes through the ravine and it can't be reached. At least, I couldn't reach it. I've attached two screenshots with location details (on the map/cart you can see this area in the visible section at the right, there's a huge rock drawn ontop of the river).

I love find these cairns, really adds something to the game. Like some one was there before. :)

screen_(247, 194, 890)_7a5d9a6d-f72e-4fb0-b0d9-d4e0467ab538.jpg

screen_4842d2c7-42fc-4773-923f-ecd32dc4ba80.jpg

I found 14 cairns in the Broken Railroad area, including the ones you have mentioned, and a total of 126 so far in Survival Mode.  I know the system says there are 165 but I can only conclude that there are a bunch in the currently "locked" Mountain Town area.  Also, I've had over 150 sprained ankles and wrists in the search process.  I sure would like to know if anyone has found more than 126 so far... 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived