Make fishing great again

Starving_Deluxe

As the title says, fishing is now - let's say it frank - a dumb job: sitting in front of the ice hole waiting for the fish to bite.

In my opinion, a little more effort and skill is needed to get maritime calories - as it is when you are deer hunting: spear-fishing.  Just see the pics below and tell me, what do you think about this idea.

index.jpg.fab53392dc23a48f5cbc7754bed4e50a.jpg1982.jpg.7d8d19107e3ded6d61c9029f594bc257.jpg

not sure if they could implement this type of fishing into the game without great difficulty.

However you did get me thinking about it and, I think they may be able to at some point add another type of fishing by making them like snares, I think we should be able to break the hole in the ice ,then using a few sticks leave the line tied to the sticks, then same as rabbit snares check them next day by breaking the ice again and pulling the catch out. Make it luck of the draw, so you can catch 0-maybe4/5 fish.

Upside : Dont need to risk the cold / expend lots of wood resource to keep warm.Can be doing other things while fishing.

Downside: More tool usage(breaking ice twice). And more hooks required to craft the new type of fishing line.

1 hour ago, sierra 117 said:

However you did get me thinking about it and, I think they may be able to at some point add another type of fishing by making them like snares, I think we should be able to break the hole in the ice ,then using a few sticks leave the line tied to the sticks, then same as rabbit snares check them next day by breaking the ice again and pulling the catch out. Make it luck of the draw, so you can catch 0-maybe4/5 fish.

Love this idea. Makes much more sense in a survival setting to have multiple stationary baited hooks rather than sitting there ice fishing. You could also make if so that after the fish has been caught on any particular hook it has a small chance every few hours of being lost to other aquatic predators. Or even just have some of the hooks/lines get lost in the same way snares break.

The loss of hooks might eventually be a bit hard on the scrap metal supplies, but only in the ultra long term. Plus if combined with some of the crafting hooks from bones/antler suggestions this would be completely renewable.

Overall I think this would create a far more realistic and enjoyable means of obtaining fish.

I´ve always found the fishing in this game is a bit ridiculous. Who would be sitting there, freezing their bum off waiting for a fish to hopefully fall onto the fishing hook, when you could just latch together five lines with five hooks and put a tiny bit of bait on them, latch it to a stick which you proceed to secure in the ice. Additionally one would put sticks around the wall of the "ice hole" so when it freezes, it can be more easily broken by simply breaking the weaker ice around the sticks. 
Then you wait overnight and check it in the morning, and boom - you have some fish with minimum effort and no icicles on your bum.

I don't know about the spear fishing. I mean, I get it - it would be rather cool, especially if you were to fish with a torch because a thousand years old fishing trick takes exploit of a fact that fish are attracted to fire. But the effort it would take to fish this way would not make it very efficient way to fish. And if you had to use saplings to create said fishing spear, I would definitely not take advantage of it (bow necessities are much more important than a fishing trick)

If anything, I would leave this "strange method" of fishing that is currently within the game, and I would also add a chance to create a "fishing trap" which would be similar to how rabbit snares work, in a way it would take 12 hours to trigger and could catch from 0 - 5 fish, it would take reclaimed wood, cured gut, 5 fishing tackles (fishing line + hook) to make, and if it "broke", you could fix it with a new fishing tackle.

If the fishing spear was an item you could find and would never break or was repairable with scrap metal and renewable woods, then heck yea, I would spear some fishes. (and like I said, maybe combine it with a lit up torch to increase the "fish encounters". (but I doubt they would make a tool that can be renewable in this way. Miss the old days when you would fix guns with fir wood and scrap metal :D)

On 7/28/2017 at 1:53 AM, Mroz4k said:

I would also add a chance to create a "fishing trap" which would be similar to how rabbit snares work, in a way it would take 12 hours to trigger and could catch from 0 - 5 fish, it would take reclaimed wood, cured gut, 5 fishing tackles (fishing line + hook) to make, and if it "broke", you could fix it with a new fishing tackle.

This idea, I like very much.

13 hours ago, Piers Arkan said:

if nothing else...why not allow players to use bait? perhaps rose hips or small portions of meat or old man's beard? 

Fish would not go for either rose hips or the old man's beard (at least as far as I know with my limited fishing knowledge). Most of the fish devour either each other, or insects, so as far as the bait goes in The Long Dark, small stripes of meat or uncured gut would make for best bait. 

But really, the bait could be a craftable item one could create in their hands. Fishing with an empty hook just seems very desperate. 

10 hours ago, JAFO said:

Fixed that for you.. ;)

:D

Not a great fisherman myself, so I wonder if a plastic torch light would also be effective.
Also, since it's like the only "air hole" on the whole lake, the fish would likely be attracted to the hole itself on its own just to draw breath.

13 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Also, since it's like the only "air hole" on the whole lake, the fish would likely be attracted to the hole itself on its own just to draw breath.

Fish actually breath by pumping water across their gills to draw dissolved oxygen out of the water itself; they can't breath air. But your point about being drawn to the open hole stands, as some would be drawn by the possibility of insects, and others by the greater amount of photosynthetic diatoms that the extra sunlight would allow to prosper.

4 hours ago, Fitz said:

Fish actually breath by pumping water across their gills to draw dissolved oxygen out of the water itself; they can't breath air. But your point about being drawn to the open hole stands, as some would be drawn by the possibility of insects, and others by the greater amount of photosynthetic diatoms that the extra sunlight would allow to prosper.

You are correct, I probably voiced it wrong - the fish don't breathe air like we do, it works pretty much how you described it, but they would be drawn to the hole and not for the insects. The air in the water is being used up by the fish that live in the lake - but in order to replenish it, a hole must be cut in the ice to allow for a new, fresh air to dissolve in the water. Imagine it as if the fish were being held in a room for days and the air inside was heavy and unpleasant. And then someone opened a window to let the fresh air in. Most fish would swarm the area around the hole because it would have higher concentration of air in it.
That is why fishermen often go and break a hole in ice during winter to allow for fresh air to get inside. The fish would not necessarily need it, they could probably live under the ice for an extended period of time, but if the opportunity arises, they are drawn to better air. Fishermen get a better catch, it would actually make sense to spear the fish through the hole.

Fishing is fine as it is. Maybe they should add the usage of a bait and a mini-game to spice it up a little otherwise it is fine. Also as it is in real life too, fishing is boring.

On 25.7.2017 at 1:08 PM, sierra 117 said:

not sure if they could implement this type of fishing into the game without great difficulty.

Upside : Dont need to risk the cold / expend lots of wood resource to keep warm.Can be doing other things while fishing.

Downside: More tool usage(breaking ice twice). And more hooks required to craft the new type of fishing line.

They can't make it like the snares because fish could get free in the water if you leave them like that the whole day or  the bigger fish will eat them since they can smell the blood for miles away.  

25 minutes ago, vancopower said:

They can't make it like the snares because fish could get free in the water if you leave them like that the whole day or  the bigger fish will eat them since they can smell the blood for miles away.  

Thousand years old fishing snare techniques, used by native people all over the world prove you wrong.

Also, "hooks" are bent in order to make it difficult for the fish to "unhook" themselves from it. And how is that different from snares or rabbits? A caught rabbit can also get free, or a predator can drag it off with themselves - that is why the snares can get ruined as well.
The comment about "blood" is just bullcrap, that is only true for sharks and some specific carnivore fish like piranhas.
As for the "bigger fish would eat them" - how exactly is that a bad thing? Big fish eats a smaller one, gets stuck on the hook instead, you get a bigger fish this way. Why do you think that the fishermen use small fish for baits all the time? To catch those bigger fish, of course! :D

LWrdnp8.png

Took this small screenshot of a webcam from my favorite survival book, SAS "How to survive" by John Wiseman. It shows the "general" idea of what I had in mind for a snare. It depicts a fishing snare trap for overnight fishing, where you tie something to the rope to make it go down, and several fishing hooks are tied to the stronger line to allow for more fish to be caught. I remember Ray Mears used this in one of his first episodes of Extreme survival, they left two snares like that and caught two fish on the same snare.

Spoiler alert for show "Vikings"

If you watch the show "Vikings", somewhere during season 4 when the grown Bjorn went on his survival quest, he tied a similar trap to this idea as well. You can see he let a stick freeze into the ice, and tied a long, thicker rope to it, and on the side of it tied several small lines with hooks to try for a fewl fish at the same time.

bjorn-ice-fishing.jpg

Not a bad idea with introducing something new to the fishing mechanic, but how about a real world scenario, instead of making something like a new overnight line or something. Maybe take some of the sticks you find along the way and make a fish basket.

• 4 months later...
On 06/08/2017 at 5:21 PM, Mroz4k said:

Thousand years old fishing snare techniques, used by native people all over the world prove you wrong.

Also, "hooks" are bent in order to make it difficult for the fish to "unhook" themselves from it. And how is that different from snares or rabbits? A caught rabbit can also get free, or a predator can drag it off with themselves - that is why the snares can get ruined as well.
The comment about "blood" is just bullcrap, that is only true for sharks and some specific carnivore fish like piranhas.
As for the "bigger fish would eat them" - how exactly is that a bad thing? Big fish eats a smaller one, gets stuck on the hook instead, you get a bigger fish this way. Why do you think that the fishermen use small fish for baits all the time? To catch those bigger fish, of course! :D

LWrdnp8.png

Took this small screenshot of a webcam from my favorite survival book, SAS "How to survive" by John Wiseman. It shows the "general" idea of what I had in mind for a snare. It depicts a fishing snare trap for overnight fishing, where you tie something to the rope to make it go down, and several fishing hooks are tied to the stronger line to allow for more fish to be caught. I remember Ray Mears used this in one of his first episodes of Extreme survival, they left two snares like that and caught two fish on the same snare.

Spoiler alert for show "Vikings"

If you watch the show "Vikings", somewhere during season 4 when the grown Bjorn went on his survival quest, he tied a similar trap to this idea as well. You can see he let a stick freeze into the ice, and tied a long, thicker rope to it, and on the side of it tied several small lines with hooks to try for a fewl fish at the same time.

bjorn-ice-fishing.jpg

I love this idea! I could be another use to the otherwise rarely used climbing rope, plus would make fishing actually worth it

While some of these ideas make sense IRL, I would rather see them spice up the fishing by making you use actual bait and lures.  I think fishing should be something in game that requires you be there and active.  I am not really a fan of another set it and forget it type of way to get food.  While the ideas being thrown around are good and realistic, people constantly complain about how easy the fishing is already.  I would like to see them expand on the fishing at some point with bait, the ability to craft lures from scrap metal and the heavy hammer.  The best lures could only be crafted using the forge.  Make it so there are several different depths for you to fish, requiring you to tie a rock into the line for weight.  Make a better variety of fish which bite at certain time of day or night and at varying depths.  Make it so your fishing gear is not just line with hook, but make you craft enough actual line to reach a depth worthy of catching something.  Make the fishing gear a combination of things, so many feet of line, a can, stick, or hand carved sapling rod to hook your line and hooks to.    Get rid of fish oil from fish, because it just isn't realistic with the type of fish we currently have.  Replace the fish oil with animal fat and allow you to make candles.  Finally let us craft hooks and lures from metal, bone, and wood/metal.  There are other things, but it just leads me towards the argument that we aren't doing enough with the animals that we do kill.  I can tell you from experience that Alpine lake trout will eat other fishes gut/intestine on a hook.  NOT ENOUGH CRAFTING PERIOD!!!

I wouldn't mind harvesting bones and antlers using the hacksaw to craft more things either. 

Adding bait and lure could be good if it is done in a way that makes it worth the time, with a better chance of catching fish. All the ideas sound great, but one thing that all people seem to agree is that fishing is simply not worth doing right now

• 5 weeks later...

A lot of good ideas here !! I hope hinterland is reading.

There can be 2 ways of fishing :

1) The trap/snare : just like the rabbit snare, crafting an item with 5x fishing tackles + 1 rock + 1 reclaimed wood. Putting it at the hole (only 1 trap per hole), and coming back a few hours later. Low risk, low gain, only small fishes can be cought (or less often).

2) The "active" fishing : sitting by the side of the hole, actively fishing with a QTE or a mini-game. The player can't do anything else, is exposed to cold, but fishing this way can be more rewarding.

Archived