add some differences between male and female character!

alone sniper

Ehh... While that does sound neat... I feel as though making the male be able to carry more as opposed to the female starting with higher base skills would make it to where Id never play as the female ever again because youd always be able to carry more ALL the time. Where as playing as the female would be super lack luster or boring cuz she already survives better than the man BUT thatd be only for early game (ie she wouldnt have anything that really makes her unique through the whole game). Like sure her skills would be higher alot faster but thats nothing compared to the static added carry weight for the man... Hope all that made sense... Again Id be all for it but it would have to be better balanced then something like that... This just seems (to me at least) like it would make choosing the male way too broken or OP

Like for late game man and woman would be the same skills wise MAXED but the man can carry more??? Id have a serious problem with that (Also this is coming from a fellow man)

10 minutes ago, TLD Survivalist said:

Ehh... While that does sound neat... I feel as though making the male be able to carry more as opposed to the female starting with higher base skills would make it to where Id never play as the female ever again because youd always be able to carry more ALL the time. Where as playing as the female would be super lack luster or boring cuz she already survives better than the man BUT thatd be only for early game (ie she wouldnt have anything that really makes her unique through the whole game). Like sure her skills would be higher alot faster but thats nothing compared to the static added carry weight for the man... Hope all that made sense... Again Id be all for it but it would have to be better balanced then something like that... This just seems (to me at least) like it would make choosing the male way too broken or OP

thanks. :)
but it was an example. i mean i don't know . but it should a diffrences

Indeed I understand and I wasnt meaning to go all "RAH!! RAH!! RAH!! Your idea is poo!" or anything like that... I would just want it a little more balanced is all... Plus I find myself playing as the female more often than not

And I didnt put in my own example simply because I couldnt come up with anything exceptional

Hm, this is a reeeeeally touchy subject. While I, personally, agree with the sentiment, gender equality in gaming is taken pretty seriously nowadays, at least that's my impression. As for the sandbox, I'm against it - it's just a sandbox. For the story mode, however, some difference would make sense - doesn't even have to do with gender! Will is a bush pilot, so he's probably a lot more efficient at fixing things, whereas Dr. Greenwood is, well, a doctor so she could probably be more efficient with first aid. Small bonuses that still make an impact in the game. However, this must not, under any circumstances, lead to any character being "better" overall - seriously, the internet would tear the game apart if this was the case.

As I said, touchy subject but worth exploring.

Yes, I would prefer to be able to select skill or "job" before starting the game  in order to start with basic skills.

Here are some examples:

A cook should have some cooking skills.

A butcher should have some carcass harvesting skills.

Gender equality is taken "seriously" only by social justice morons, like feminazis(and most of them are dead on retarded, i once saw a video of one of those sjw, who claimed that after she gets her degree is gender studies she would be eligible to work everywhere, among other thing mentioning law and medicine), who yell on every corner how women are being oppresses every step of the way, rape culture, male superiority complex, etc(with all of those claims have like 0 scientific backing). And im yet to see that they would actually create(or say) anything of value, instead of shitting all over the place.

Normal people, with working brain, just do what they think is best. Following "suggestions" of people like Sarkeesian havent really helped any1 so far. And i truly hope that devs will continue making a good game, without taking pointers from those people and eventually ruining this game.

On the subject, i dont really see a good way, nor i think its actually needed, to make some specific differences between male and female protagonists in sandbox mode.

Profession oriented perks, penalties or boosts would make much more sense. Be it extra item(s)/skill(s) from some category or some minor schematic for craftables.

Agreed, and good idea. Something simple that encourages different play styles. Maybe carrying capacity and speed...I'm sure there are better ideas out there that are appropriate.

And keep it civil ladies and gentlemen. This is only a touchy subject when you make it touchy. 

56 minutes ago, sir ice said:

Well you could be a strong woman or a weak man. Also why would a females skills be better. The differences would be arbitrary. 

I agree, and I think the only difference should be the voice overs, I tend to play the female as I prefer to hear her voice instead of the boof head man lol.

I always thought one way to make a game more interesting in respect to difficulty level would be to use pre-set characters rather than allow people to assign stats to a character (this is more an RPG thing than what we have in TLD).

So easy mode would be playing as the ex-military guy, fit, has some survival skills, can shoot well etc.

A little harder, average joe, might not be in as good a shape as the ex-military guy and may not have the survival skills, pretty much the guy we have now.

Middle of the road, someone not at the prime of life (me at age 55), can't carry as much, can not heal as quickly, not as much stamina. On the flip side I have been around longer and can fix more things that average joe. I would also put the average female at this level.  She may not have the same upper body strength, so climbing may be harder, can not carry as much.  

Hardest, kids, they have no skills, clothes don't fit well, they cannot carry much.  On the flip side they have great healing, are light so climbing is easier.

I am sure the average person might take this as sexist but there are ways for the game designers to get around this.  Don't make them generic profiles, give them names and backstories, maybe there is a reason why the old guy Mike is bad with building snow shelters and suffers from cold more, he grew up in Florida.  Maybe Sue can cook and mend clothes better, her mother died when she was young and she did all the cooking and mending of her families clothes.  Maybe Betty is the ex-Marine who is now a karate instructor, any wolf that comes after her will have it a little harder.

A new feat could be "I survived 100 days as a kid".

23 minutes ago, Mesha said:

I always thought one way to make a game more interesting in respect to difficulty level would be to use pre-set characters rather than allow people to assign stats to a character (this is more an RPG thing than what we have in TLD).

So easy mode would be playing as the ex-military guy, fit, has some survival skills, can shoot well etc.

A little harder, average joe, might not be in as good a shape as the ex-military guy and may not have the survival skills, pretty much the guy we have now.

Middle of the road, someone not at the prime of life (me at age 55), can't carry as much, can not heal as quickly, not as much stamina. On the flip side I have been around longer and can fix more things that average joe. I would also put the average female at this level.  She may not have the same upper body strength, so climbing may be harder, can not carry as much.  

Hardest, kids, they have no skills, clothes don't fit well, they cannot carry much.  On the flip side they have great healing, are light so climbing is easier.

I am sure the average person might take this as sexist but there are ways for the game designers to get around this.  Don't make them generic profiles, give them names and backstories, maybe there is a reason why the old guy Mike is bad with building snow shelters and suffers from cold more, he grew up in Florida.  Maybe Sue can cook and mend clothes better, her mother died when she was young and she did all the cooking and mending of her families clothes.  Maybe Betty is the ex-Marine who is now a karate instructor, any wolf that comes after her will have it a little harder.

A new feat could be "I survived 100 days as a kid".

Hi mesha.  
+1 for your great post. 
welcome to forum^_^

Okay, this is a suggestion which has surfaced in the past, and the discussion did not really go well.

This post was made well over a year ago, and there has been no move on the developers part to implement such as system, which suggests that There will be no such feature added.
Whilst sexual dimorphism does present some differences between how the two genders perform, on average, a fit adult male and a fit adult female can frequently come to a tie in their abilities. The only real differences as such is that for women, stamina and muscle development occurs more slowly, and for men the development ceiling is higher up (meaning that the average maximum strength and stamina a male can achieve is higher than the average maximum strength and stamina a female can achieve), but this is largely because men, on average, have greater body mass.

Personally, I am against the suggestion because:
A) I want to start my game from the same baseline regardless of which character I pick. I don't want to spend hours on end having to make up for the shortcomings of my character when the other character is physically more able

B) The negative publicity it would generate towards Hinterland Studios by litigious feminists who actively look for things to attack would be a blow to the company. You think I am joking, there are plenty of game developers who have been hounded by feminists who demand their pound of flesh because the developers had made reference to a stereotype in their game. For goodness sake, these are the same people who bullied and attacked Matt Taylor, a scientist who was part of a team responsible for landing a spacecraft on a comet, because he wore a shirt with anime women on it. (Note, however, I am not talking about moderate feminists here)

C) it's an unnecessary addition for minimal gain, and far to much potential controversy for what it's worth.

11 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

A) I want to start my game from the same baseline regardless of which character I pick. I don't want to spend hours on end having to make up for the shortcomings of my character when the other character is physically more able

This is actually a very good point.

11 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

C) it's an unnecessary addition for minimal gain, and far to much potential controversy for what it's worth.

This as well.

Also not in favor difficulty-based custom characters, hard to associate with some 55-old bald arthritic. It just feels wrong. I dont wannt to play as him, i wannt to play as me.

There are games that benefit from preset characters, like Witcher, with Geralt having long and colorful history and whole game is built around that lore. On the other hard enforcing such things may have some serious negative consequences, like in this garbage of the game Fallout 4, where 99% of players immediately forgot who to hell Shaun is the moment they exited vault.

While in story mode certain personality traits of preset characters are a given, theres absolutely no need for that in sandbox.

There's two ways to look at it, gender can be cosmetic, just a question of player preference, or you can add some gender characteristics to alter gameplay.  The two obvious characteristics are females need less calories, males have more muscle mass and can carry more.  I'm happy either way. 

4 hours ago, continuity said:

There's two ways to look at it, gender can be cosmetic, just a question of player preference, or you can add some gender characteristics to alter gameplay.  The two obvious characteristics are females need less calories, males have more muscle mass and can carry more.  I'm happy either way. 

not sure about that either, i see some pretty lame mass muscle looking humans recently. edit: Most females will have more fat/muscle mass and or can carry more! over the unfit drug lame male doofus.

2 hours ago, continuity said:

Its clearly a contentious issue so probably best to just leave gender as cosmetic.

You know, it's funny, when someone walks into a room, you say to them "don't touch the stove, it's hot", yet for some reason, they still have to go over and touch it before they believe you.

On 2016-07-02 at 0:08 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Also not in favor difficulty-based custom characters, hard to associate with some 55-old bald arthritic. It just feels wrong. I dont wannt to play as him, i wannt to play as me.

There are games that benefit from preset characters, like Witcher, with Geralt having long and colorful history and whole game is built around that lore. On the other hard enforcing such things may have some serious negative consequences, like in this garbage of the game Fallout 4, where 99% of players immediately forgot who to hell Shaun is the moment they exited vault.

While in story mode certain personality traits of preset characters are a given, theres absolutely no need for that in sandbox.

We had a rather long discussion about that earlier :)

On 2016-07-02 at 3:24 AM, nicko said:

I agree, and I think the only difference should be the voice overs, I tend to play the female as I prefer to hear her voice instead of the boof head man lol.

Me too. Jennifer Hale is an amazing voice actress.

My own opinion on this issue is that there should be some (optional) differences between the starting characters. Just so that when you start a game it feels like you're playing a character as opposed to a blank slate. With the new skill system you don't even need to use gender based stereotypes to achieve this: just have the option of have 2 skills at +1 and 2 at -1 when you start the game with a job title/background written in your journal for those skill combinations. If the bonuses are random then you get a unique character each time with no controversies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1-7-2016 at 2:50 PM, Wastelander said:

As for the sandbox, I'm against it - it's just a sandbox. For the story mode, however, some difference would make sense - doesn't even have to do with gender! Will is a bush pilot, so he's probably a lot more efficient at fixing things, whereas Dr. Greenwood is, well, a doctor so she could probably be more efficient with first aid. Small bonuses that still make an impact in the game. However, this must not, under any circumstances, lead to any character being "better" overall.

Wastelander already said exactly how I see it,   +1

Archived