Is the Long Dark worth it?

cux4

So I'll get right down to it: I have played this game a bit on Xbox One (with others, I don't own it), and have been following its progress on Steam. Recently I saw that it was half-off on PC, and was wondering if it was worth picking up. Are there any differences between the PC and the console edition? How will the different seasons of Story Mode work? Most importantly, is it worth the price? It looks like a fascinating game, but I have gotten sick of Early Access games that never get half as good as the developers planned. Thanks!

TLD is the best survival game you can currently get. It´s a must have if you like to test your wilderness survival skills and totally worth it´s price. We don´t know much about the story mode yet, but the sandbox alone will keep you entertained for a looong time. The Devs have put so much love into this gem, I would buy it again for the double price :)

You already played it, so you're familiar with the game.

I would assume you're perfectly able to decide for yourself whether or not you want to spend a meagre ten bucks on it.

The forge aside, this game has only gotten better since I started playing it last february.

Beware, once your in there's no way out! :lol:

I have a few games I like and that I play every now and then, but usually I'd rather be outside working on one of my rigs (which is how I got my username!) or building something. But when the weather is lousy (which happens often here in Seattle), chances are I'm playing The Long Dark, logged 248 hours so far, more than I have spent on any other game by FAR. It always provides a pleasant escape from the city.

It's really up to you, but I really recommend it.

Sam

So I'll get right down to it: I have played this game a bit on Xbox One (with others, I don't own it), and have been following its progress on Steam. Recently I saw that it was half-off on PC, and was wondering if it was worth picking up. Are there any differences between the PC and the console edition? How will the different seasons of Story Mode work? Most importantly, is it worth the price? It looks like a fascinating game, but I have gotten sick of Early Access games that never get half as good as the developers planned. Thanks!

You should really think about whether you should get this game at half price. Because that is far too cheap. You would basically be robbing the developers, since the game is worth far more. I would say it is worth some € 49.90 or so. The developers are really crazy to sell it for the current price. You should wait at least until the Steam Winter Sale ends on 4 Jan and buy it then, when it is back to its normal price. Even then it will be too cheap. It's a question of morale really.

Well, I've put five hours into it so far and it feels like I've been playing it... um... (checks journal)... six days, so that's a good thing.

I'm seriously feeling this game's hooks in me. As much as I'm enjoying Fallout 4, the triviality of some of the quests really takes me out of the game. The Long Dark makes me feel I'm in a remote mountain valley, struggling to survive, and it has this way of making you conjure up a story out of nothing. I can see myself playing this, a lot.

But maybe I'm so happy because I finally found a cabin after a day of terror in the wilderness where I was slowly freezing and low on supplies, and found a treasure trove of rations in its warm and cosy innards. I paid £7.50 for this in the Steam Sale, and I feel I'm getting my money's worth out of this map alone, so yeah - I'd say go for it. I'd be happy to pay full price.

On XB1 you can play for an hour for free. That's what I did and ordered the full version as soon as the hour demo was up. Best $20 I ever spent! It even let me continue the game I had started with the one hour demo although I didn't last much longer anyway! :-)

This game is more complete and more fun and more challenging with more replayablity than some good full priced retail releases. I'd buy it again.

I have 300 hours into it now and I like it a lot.

The first few hundred runs you do will be pretty awesome. When you figure out the mechanics with the wolves that is where I stop wanting to continue to play and if they fix that I'll come back. It is definitely worth the price they are charging for it.

Extremely good value.

You can play hundreds of hours in the sandbox, think you are bored with it, stop playing and then find yourself back into it a week later.

It's kind of funny, but a string of bad luck can actually make the game more fun. I am about 12 days into a new run right now and I have no pants or coat. Traveling from the dam to the camp office I was attacked by wolves three times. (I could have used flares to avoid the wolves, but I want to make a big lit up "SOS" sign in the snow in front of the camp office, so I am saving them.)

So now I have to be much more cautious when traveling and this is what makes it fun. Knowing if you get lost in a storm or darkness creeps up on you, the long dark awaits.

One tip though. Enjoy your deaths as much as your successes or you will get frustrated. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

Are you kidding? I learned that I just missed the winter sale by about a week, and still gladly paid full price. This game is amazing and I'm happy to support it, especially knowing that new content, even a story mode which will be a huge increase in content alone, will be constantly added...fuck yes it's easily worth it. I paid ~$22 on steam.

Definitely worth the price. The sandbox alone, as a few have mentioned, is easily worth its asking price. Don't forget, in addition to the sandbox the game will also come with the complete first season story mode that launches in the spring.

As for a more critical cost/value summation, consider the following:

• The Long Dark, even in Alpha, is more polished and less buggy than some recent AAA releases (e.g. the latest Batman game).
  • The Long Dark has a very active, and attentive, development team that listens to community feedback and is actively improving the game.
  • Even if you only played once with the goal of only exploring all the regions, got bored and didn't play again you should still have at least 20 hours of engaging gameplay.

As for PC versus XBox I haven't noticed too much of a difference aside from the control scheme. The PC version may also get more frequent patches (don't know how the XBox patch system works) and the PC version has achievements whereas they haven't been implemented yet on XBox.

Bottom line, are you willing to pay less than $2/hour for your entertainment? I sure am :)

Archived