TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, PART FIVE is here!!!

@ThePancakeLady, @Polynomial-C and @Semple Fi and other concerned people, I've researched the situation with GOG.  They didn't pull the game because of their business practices I can tell you that much.  The rest I think Raph wants it to stay a private matter, suffice to say I don't think they'll ever be getting any updates, dlc or otherwise.

Edited by rush247
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Hazelnut said:

Loaded up in excitement and instantly got 2 surprises I was not expecting.

1. Cougar warning 5days. Seems like the timer started before the drop as I have been in transfer pass for 5-8 days ish. Not a problem, will be heading out after some prep for the new region anyway.

2. Scurvy warning @ 99% which I didn't expect. I had thought the decision not to enable it for existing saves had remained, but I guess not. It's the first I have seen of this affliction and starting so high was a bit of an eye opener. Cattails and rose hips will hopefully sort it so I don't have to delay heading out to the new region to go on an unscheduled fishing trip first.

Nether are really issues for me at all, but I didn't expect them and don't think there's a way to disable on my existing Loper save so just wanted to give ppl the heads up. I assume this is intentional and I just missed that part of the announcement.

Tomorrow is a day off work and I am ready for it!

Load up on fish and birchbark and you’ll be ok 👍 I was happy to see it come up when loading my save in 

3 hours ago, rush247 said:

@ThePancakeLady, @Polynomial-C and @Semple Fi and other concerned people, I've researched the situation with GOG.  They didn't pull the game because of their business practices I can tell you that much.  The rest I think Raph wants it to stay a private matter, suffice to say I don't think they'll ever be getting any updates, dlc or otherwise.

Although it would already be the third time, rebuying the game wouldn't be an issue, If TLD would be available on any platform which allows me to fully own a game which I buy, and not only give me a "licence" which "can be revoked".

I simply don't want a permanent launcher in the background which logs what I am doing, when I play which game for how long. I don't want to deal with "anti tamper" software on a singleplayer game.

GoG is at least one platform which gives me games without any form of copy protection, DRM or any other crap like that.

• Upvote 2

same problem as allways if old chars enter a new region. found me tactical (nice defense) gloves 0% on the floor! but then red pills with 98% from a first aid kit

so no dlc items for long runs :( thats bad

• Hinterland
6 hours ago, Polynomial-C said:

GoG is at least one platform which gives me games without any form of copy protection, DRM or any other crap like that.

We don't use any DRM on Steam either. Not every game on Steam uses DRM. Developers have the choice to activate it or not. We've never used Steam DRM for TLD actually. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Upvote 4

I may be the only one on this forum who is not a fan of how the cougar was implemented.

I could probably understand if Hinterland was limited on their ability in terms of specifics but I feel that the cougar is really immersive breaking. 

Here's what I love about the cougar: The attack animations, the design (this includes sound), the concept of the den, and the little clues it leaves in the area that it's hunting you.

My dislikes: The fact that it's just a timer QTE and not a physical animal living in the wild, the magical spawn attack, the on screen notifications, and that you're notified of the exact day it's showing up. I saw someone describe it as "Cabin Fever for regions" and I couldn't agree more. It's extremely immersive breaking in my opinion. I just find it odd that the survivor would know roughly when the cougar was going to attack almost as if the cougar put up a poster with an exact attack date. I probably would have preferred no notifications with ONLY clues spread around the region with the cougar cries. Something that could have been cool would have had the voice actors give us the hints instead. "I feel like I'm being watched." or  "I feel like I need to get out of the area". Something like that.

In my mind, I envisioned the cougar in the distance following me or peering over a mountain ledge looking down at me. That would have been creeeeepy. I was also picturing it to spawn close to your area when it was ready to attack. You'd hear a roar and you'd see it charging you with maybe a 5 second chance to whip out your pistol/rifle/bow and try to get a shot off before the attack to weaken it prior to the struggle. Would have also been cool to have the ability to hunt it down for its pelt instead of having to get attacked to reap the reward. The amount of damage it gives does not warrant the loot it's dropping I feel. So for the time being, I'll be turning off the cougar as it feels more like a punishment rather than a mechanic I can interact with in fun ways. 

Anyway...just my two sense. The new region is amazing and I actually love the cheat death function. I think it's a great way to spice things up! Really can't wait for photo mode and base customization. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Cougar is completely broken or the design of it is extremely questionable.

I hope there'll be an official response as to why Cougar was designed in the way it is right now.

Indeed, the animal that I've seen in certain videos (that is only spawnable via console commands or other mods right now) makes it seem like this is a beta version that will possibly change in the future.

18 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Time to suffer 😁!

Hypothetical question: If the Cougar (A TFTFT feature) is automatically included in Misery Mode (which as I gather is a free addition to the base game), what happens if I start a Misery game without TFTFT installed?

I was wondering this too.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, adventurehawkins said:

My dislikes: [… ] the on screen notifications, and that you're notified of the exact day it's showing up. [… ] It's extremely immersive breaking in my opinion. I just find it odd that the survivor would know roughly when the cougar was going to attack almost as if the cougar put up a poster with an exact attack date. I probably would have preferred no notifications with ONLY clues spread around the region with the cougar cries. Something that could have been cool would have had the voice actors give us the hints instead. "I feel like I'm being watched." or  "I feel like I need to get out of the area". Something like that.

I agree with this. I don't like the idea that the Player is notified via the HUD, rather than the Player Character being made aware within the world.

The cougar noises are a great in-universe indicator. I can imagine something like tracks, or some other markings - a bit like the moose sign on trees. Imagine hiking along from one base to another in your comfortable region and seeing a tree gouged by a claw,  'Was that always like that?' slowly building those clues up till the fear and paranoia makes you want to leave.

TLD is *so good* at introducing information through in-world features, but I guess it couldn't work well enough for everything.

• Upvote 8

25 minutes ago, xanna said:

I agree with this. I don't like the idea that the Player is notified via the HUD, rather than the Player Character being made aware within the world.

The cougar noises are a great in-universe indicator. I can imagine something like tracks, or some other markings - a bit like the moose sign on trees. Imagine hiking along from one base to another in your comfortable region and seeing a tree gouged by a claw,  'Was that always like that?' slowly building those clues up till the fear and paranoia makes you want to leave.

TLD is *so good* at introducing information through in-world features, but I guess it couldn't work well enough for everything.

I agree, too.  I was looking forward to the cougar and I'm really disappointed in its implementation - the forced struggle, no actual animal to see or react to before being attacked and possibly ending the run, and the on-screen indicators seem arcade-ish (like the Timberwolf morale meter, which I'm glad I can turn off).    I'm glad I can disable the cougar for now.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

We don't use any DRM on Steam either. Not every game on Steam uses DRM. Developers have the choice to activate it or not. We've never used Steam DRM for TLD actually. 🤷🏼‍♂️

So I could launch TLD after installing through Steam just using the .exe without launching Steam in the background?

As an early 'in development' supporter on GOG I would at least appreciate an explanation why we don't get any updates anymore, if my only option to get updates is to buy it again on another platform.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Enigmaecho said:

Load up on fish and birchbark and you’ll be ok 👍 I was happy to see it come up when loading my save in 

I got the risk completely cleared just with teas and a few cattails, though it came back pretty quickly once I was back on the meat only diet. Thought I may have a bit more time now I am low on both teas and cattails. Looks like I need fish so I went to the NE fishing hut on Airfield and fished for 18 hours. Just used the main hole manually with a lure. Caught one single fish, a Burbot which has zero vit-c. So now I am back at 90+ scurvy risk and out of fuel to continue to fish. Only at skill level 2 but back in ML I would usually get a fish per 3-4 hours, though I was using bait after catching first little fish back then.

Did I just get completely unlucky or is that hut a bad spot generally? I thought a day to fish and sort out Scurvy would work and then I could get back to the new region. I certainly don't want to waste another 18 hours of fuel for zero benefit. (plus time and food it takes to collect that fuel in the first place) Hmmm, this is a tricky one. Wondering how bad scurvy affliction is to just live with now TBH.

EDIT/UPDATE: So problem was using lures which increase chance of rare fish but decrease normal fish chance, stopped using them and caught some vit-c now. Whew. :)

Regarding the Cougar issues, today's patch appears to have fixed it so that was nice and fast. I'm pretty okay with the implementation, given the premise that Cougars are apex predators who you really don't see coming. It would be a lot of dev effort to allow a tiny window for a shot before the pounce when in reality there's no way you could spot it and draw + release a bow in time, or even aim a rifle. Maybe a lucky hip shot from pistol, but I think it's fine to simplify it down to no chance before it strikes, with 1 dazed and confused shot afterwards. It's what I expected given earlier info, though I did hope we could stealthily attack it in the lair if found.

Edited by Hazelnut
Update

@Polynomial-C

Accusing Hinterland of misconduct and trying to speak to what you feel their intentions are... is exactly the kind of thing I'm referring to when I've asked folks to keep things respectful (post was removed).

I don't think any of us now the particulars surrounding GoG...  I don't think it's very fair to be seemingly jumping to the conclusion that Hinterland is at "fault."  Have you considered that GoG may be the ones that have precipitated the issue?

Point is, we don't know... so it's not really good form to just throw stones at Hinterland.

Again, I can appreciate that you're upset, but badmouthing the Hinterland team when you don't know the details is a bit disrespectful.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Also... "focused on Steam nowadays?"  I believe that Steam was the platform the game sort of started on (or at least one of the first platforms as of the Early Access release in the later part of 2014).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Polynomial-C said:

Excuse me, but have you read my post in its entirety? Of course there's the possibility that GoG is at fault alone here (which I even indicated) but the obvious lack of clear communication from HL is one reason that I jumped to my conclusions.

You might think I am throwing stones here but believe me, the more HL refuses to be more informative in its way how they (plan to) treat their GoG-users, the more frustration accumulates. GoG-users are still at TLD v2.02. What version do you currently play? Would you be happy to be left abandoned by HL with an entirely outdated version of the game? Even when there were promises that this will not happen? Of course you may call this "badmouthing" although I respectfully disagree. For me it's how I interpret the entire situation right now.

I said "so much focused on Steam". I know that they initially sold the game via Steam only back in 2014 but they also sold the the game via GoG for some time and you can also purchase it via Humble Indie Bundle. I did that even before I purchased it via GoG, just to find out that all you get there is a Steam key. And don't let me get started about another not yet fulfilled promise HL did.

Whatever the issue and however frustrated you are,you have to keep things respectful and your tone in your previous comment alone was not.. hence it's removal..     

There's a right way and a wrong way to say your piece,so please remember that...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Whatever the issue and however frustrated you are,you have to keep things respectful and your tone in your previous comment alone was not.. hence it's removal..     

There's a right way and a wrong way to say your piece,so please remember that...

Excuse me but why is it disrepectful when I say that I feel betrayed? Jumping on your interpretation I could als say that HL is disrepectful to all its GoG-customers.

Edited by Polynomial-C
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Polynomial-C said:

Excuse me but why is it disrepectful when I say that I feel betrayed? Jumping on your interpretation I could als say that HL is disrepectful to all its GoG-customers.

I think I've answered your comment in the pm..  as has @ManicManiac..

If you wish to ask htl directly then please do so.. but in a polite manner..

Otherwise I think we should drop this .

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I think I've answered your comment in the pm..  as has @ManicManiac..

If you wish to ask htl directly then please do so.. but in a polite manner..

Otherwise I think we should drop this .

Thanks for the advice, I already did exactly that. I wrote a very polite mail in 2022 why the game was pulled from GOG, to which I got the reply they don't have any updates on that. I asked again almost a year later in 2023 to which I didn't get a reply at all. I've asked in the forums, where a few people from the community reacted and tried to help, but ended in the conclusion

'I also don't see them responding to any comments about it since then.'

I understand the frustration of the other user very well, if you once were a fan of the game and tried to support the developer through a service that also tries to be beneficial to the consumer, but when you try to find out why you are being dropped from getting support i.e. updates anymore the only reaction you receive is being stonewalled. That's not helpful in any way, especially if you try to be friendly and factual.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, KILLA-CONNI said:

Thanks for the advice, I already did exactly that. I wrote a very polite mail in 2022 why the game was pulled from GOG, to which I got the reply they don't have any updates on that. I asked again almost a year later in 2023 to which I didn't get a reply at all. I've asked in the forums, where a few people from the community reacted and tried to help, but ended in the conclusion

'I also don't see them responding to any comments about it since then.'

I understand the frustration of the other user very well, if you once were a fan of the game and tried to support the developer through a service that also tries to be beneficial to the consumer, but when you try to find out why you are being dropped from getting support i.e. updates anymore the only reaction you receive is being stonewalled. That's not helpful in any way, especially if you try to be friendly and factual.

While I'm of course sorry you're having this issue I'm not sure what else I could suggest..

I get the frustration , I really do but trying anything in an inpolite way will just get you the wrong kind of attention..and not help the matter get resolved....

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

While I'm of course sorry you're having this issue I'm not sure what else I could suggest..

I get the frustration , I really do but trying anything in an inpolite way will just get you the wrong kind of attention..and not help the matter get resolved....

I agree with you. I also think that ignoring at least parts of your community over such a long timeframe is not very polite, which also can attract the wrong kind of attention. It would certainly help if we either get updates (excluding the paid DLC of course) or at least some information why we won't, so we can think about the alternatives.

I hope everyone has a good day, no matter what. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Right now we're focused on Part Five and dealing with bugs and hotfixes. I'll address GoG at a later date.

Alright, thanks for the acknowledgement and all the best for the remaining work.

• Like 1