May 2024 Developer Diary

On 5/14/2024 at 8:11 AM, Leeanda said:

Maybe the wolves will scatter and run yelping too..    

Interaction with moose and bears I don't think will be likely though..

The thing that concerns me is the bit about “once you’re encroaching there won’t be warning before an attack” big cats are ambush predators for the most part and I hope we’ll have a chance to see them coming and be “fast and lucky” with our shot and not a case of a surprise cutscene as they drop out of a tree on us and we happen to not get death by scratching post 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Enigmaecho said:

The thing that concerns me is the bit about “once you’re encroaching there won’t be warning before an attack” big cats are ambush predators for the most part and I hope we’ll have a chance to see them coming and be “fast and lucky” with our shot and not a case of a surprise cutscene as they drop out of a tree on us and we happen to not get death by scratching post 

I think it highly unlikely they'd add an animal that will definitely just kill you outright without any chance at all of winning.. that would really make the game feel unplayable.. I think it'd be more like a cross between a bear mauling, albeit a severe one,with mechanics to fight back like the wolves,but harder..

• Upvote 1

Not a huge amount to add to what everyone has said, update sounds terrific!

Cougar: I was looking forward to the cougar, and I thought maybe it might be stealthy etc, but utlimately, just another predator, ie: fun but not game changing and something you end up skirting around.  Huge credit to Hinterland for the implementation they are suggesting, I think the idea that your persistance in an area triggers the animals interest, that is such a great idea and will make everyone concious of their bases and when and how they use them.  I know some people lead a very nomadic style, but I thnk it's fair to have a new style of predator and you just have to stay in the same place to trigger it!  Also the idea of hunting the den to clear them out for a while is also spot on

Permadeth chances:  Not sure it's for me, but a great idea, and as @Adminsaid, who knows until I see the offer on the screen after a particularly annoying death, I may choose to use it!  So seems a very sensible way to implemement it without affecting the  'no extra lives' dynamic, which as has been mentioned, people get around with save files anyway.

Misery mode:  I am not a mega interloper player, though I do have a run I keep dipping into, but I am sure people will appreciate a bit of love on the mode as I know it is very popular.

Mountain Pass: Loved both the new regions so far, from the vast open plains of Forsaken Airfield to the claustrophobic tunnels in The Zone of Contamination, so cannot wait!

More Tales!!  I have so enjoyed the tales so far, the strange unsettling story and odd locations, I could explore these kind of stories forever!

Anyway, great job!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:
8 hours ago, Enigmaecho said:

big cats are ambush predators for the most part

Small ones too... :) 
Cat GIF

If this Cougar is hiding under my survivor's bed, waiting to attack his or her ankles when they get get close enough... 😨

tumblr_o5j2nrPkcH1tyncywo1_400.gif

• Upvote 3

I remember asking for a super dangerous cougar that actually free ranges the map hunts you down like 3-4 years ago. NOW ITS FINALLY HERE!! I am absolutely going to be spending some of my summer time in the snow of TLD!! I cannot wait for this update to drop! Wolves and bears have gotten too easy, now we finally have a (hopefully) extremely punishing predator that makes you nervous every time you step outside! For sure I am going to start a new save and immediately stay as long as possible in the region to see just now punishing this new predator is

• Upvote 1

It's ok to disagree but please keep it civil...   Everyone is entitled to their opinion and how they play is entirely up to them... 

And a reminder that this thread is for discussing the dev diary contents only..

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

It's ok to disagree but please keep it civil...   Everyone is entitled to their opinion and how they play is entirely up to them... 

And a reminder that this thread is for discussing the dev diary contents only..

Sorry for losing the plot as it were and if my use of foul language offended anyone I'm sorry for that too.   Just saying they should calm down cause we don't know everything about this yet, it could be completely different from what they're thinking.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, rush247 said:

Sorry for losing the plot as it were and if my use of foul language offended anyone I'm sorry for that too.   Just saying they should calm down cause we don't know everything about this yet, it could be completely different from what they're thinking.

It wasn't directed at you specifically, just trying to nip anything in the bud before it escalated...

You could edit that word out though if you like, there is a 24 hour grace period for it now

I appreciate the apology nonetheless.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, rush247 said:

I took no offense. Your points where valid. No intention to be too blunt by me! 

• Upvote 2

I don't expect the trader to set up shop anywhere... in fact I am hoping he isn't static at all.. more of a nomad like we are and you may or may not run into him anywhere at any time on any map.....

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2024 at 9:36 PM, turtle777 said:

Don't forget that there will be Part 6 of the Tales. They had to leave some items for that last release.

Getting a new region, plus + cougar and third "tale" is plenty of an update.

It will also make Part 6 relevant, with trader and safe-houses adding substantial new game play.

-t

I know, I'm not complaining about it. I'm still excited for Part 5 because of the Tale (I'm a lore addict).

5 hours ago, GotNothinOnMe said:

I remember asking for a super dangerous cougar that actually free ranges the map hunts you down like 3-4 years ago. NOW ITS FINALLY HERE!! I am absolutely going to be spending some of my summer time in the snow of TLD!! I cannot wait for this update to drop! Wolves and bears have gotten too easy, now we finally have a (hopefully) extremely punishing predator that makes you nervous every time you step outside! For sure I am going to start a new save and immediately stay as long as possible in the region to see just now punishing this new predator is

Now that I think about it. The Darkwalker was received so incredibly well that they ended up adding it as it's own Challenge. The cougar sounds like it functions a bit similiar in principle that it "seeks you out". Maybe the Darkwalker influenced the design idea behind the cougar somewhat.

Maybe I’m an anomaly, but I’ve enjoyed the surprise of each update.  I haven’t had much of an expectation, maybe just some hopes.  I hope the cougar will provide a rare item if I’m able to kill it, but it just might not.  
Also glad to hear the Switch update is closer, I’ve been looking forward to purchasing the DLC on Switch ever since it was announced.  
I’ve also noticed that no one has guessed the application of A N Y of the Devs updated.  I imagine when the trader shows up it will be similar.  Different from any expectation.  The best theory I’ve heard so far is that the radio will be incorporated, and now I’m curious if the concept behind cheat death will also bear some application in the “trading”.  
Looking forward to some additional concept art for Drop #5, and I’m thinking the Ballistic Vest is about to find itself incredibly valuable….

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland
24 minutes ago, Laika Ivanova said:

Now that I think about it. The Darkwalker was received so incredibly well that they ended up adding it as it's own Challenge. The cougar sounds like it functions a bit similiar in principle that it "seeks you out". Maybe the Darkwalker influenced the design idea behind the cougar somewhat.

A lot of people are making a connection between our Cougar plans and Darkwalker. I can see why, and it makes sense! But I can tell you, we didn't really consider Darkwalker at all when designing the Cougar. We were 100% motivated by trying to drive certain player behaviours and create some interesting choices and trade-offs. It'll be interesting to see how much people feel the Cougar matches up to Darkwalker once it launches. 

I will say that there's nothing in Darkwalker's implementation that was used for the Cougar. The Cougar is 100% new code, systems, and content.

• Upvote 12
  • Like 2

I'm thinking I need to get to DP, load up fish with the tip up system, hunt everything I can and get ready to spend an extraordinary amount of time there until the cougar decides DP is now theirs. I've been waiting for the cougar since it was announced.  If that's all that the update contained, I'd be one happy survivor. New region, tale, difficulty mode, cheating death are all cool features I'm grateful for being included. 

But..... Here kitty kitty kitty, we've got a play date!!!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I dunno, but my two cents is that we won't ever see the trader.  I suspect that the handheld radio will be used to make contact with the trader during an aurora.  When they do make contact, arrangements will be made to meet at a drop location where the trader will drop off the goods and our hero will drop off their payment.  The only evidence of actually "seeing" them will be that the bartered trade will have been completed.  That way, the player still never sees another living person thereby keeping that sense of loneliness and isolation intact as an integral part of the game.  

That would be reasonable. A "drop-off and pick-up" system would be entirely acceptable for me too. 

• Upvote 2

Oh my the cougar. I did not see it coming. My playstyle is to move to region, stay in it for 20 - 50 days to hunt and gather. Then move out. Repeating that ad nausea. I do like rich supplied bases. On the other hand if the cougar fur will be for crating....

Cougar is cat. Is it attacking eyes? Eye injury affliction could be interesting. Half of the monitor blacked out for x days because eye patch could be interesting affliction. Anyway I have to remember where I left the bulletproof vest, take it to the Coastal Highway and stay there on ice till the cat appears.

I just wonder. Was the deathwalker something like proof of concept for the cougar? With exception the cougar will not be in caves. Tell me it wont follow me to caves. Will it?

I dont like much the cougar implementation , i would have liked them to be linked only to one region, making that region really dangerous but with a good loot to get. Now will force people to travel a lot in maps that maybe are already looted ... I like to have a base, a "home".

New map looks interesting ...we will see....

Death cheat... is a good idea 

Tales... meh ...

I am so exited for the new DLC. Misery mode sounds brilliant to me, cant wait to try it and die a million times.  

And the cougar, maybe we can harvest the teeth or the claws, to craft something new?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I dunno, but my two cents is that we won't ever see the trader.  I suspect that the handheld radio will be used to make contact with the trader during an aurora.  When they do make contact, arrangements will be made to meet at a drop location where the trader will drop off the goods and our hero will drop off their payment.  The only evidence of actually "seeing" them will be that the bartered trade will have been completed.  That way, the player still never sees another living person thereby keeping that sense of loneliness and isolation intact as an integral part of the game.  

I like this idea...  scratch that... I LOVE this idea..tying it to the randomness of the aurora makes it much harder to abuse or get used to

Edited by Cr41g
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, acada said:

Cougar is cat. Is it attacking eyes? Eye injury affliction could be interesting. Half of the monitor blacked out for x days because eye patch could be interesting affliction.

Cat Scratch Fever

image.gif.d650556de768ebcf56dd08703df247d9.gif