Common things you never do...

ajb1978

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Fair enough.
However, since the recent Dev Diaries... I've started to think of the Darkwalker Challenge as training for the Contamination Zone. :D 
(Specifically, that acid fog)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Interesting thought.  Begs the question as to what might deter cougars as well.

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@UpUpAway95
Bullets and Flash-Bangs.  🤭

Fair enough - but only that?

Repellents and scare devices include: Propane cannons, horns, sirens, flashing lights and radios with sound amplifiers. Presently there aren't any odour or taste repellents that have shown significant effectiveness in reducing cougar attacks.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/human-wildlife-conflict/staying-safe-around-wildlife/cougars

• Upvote 1

@UpUpAway95
Honestly, I have no idea (in the context of the game, that is)... I really only meant it lightheartedly.
I imagine fire/flares might ward it off.  There's no reason to think that arrows won't be just as effective.

I think that the big concern for me is if it might be set to be an ambush predator.

If it's something that roams... then that's much easier to deal with and likely could be distracted or run off by stones (just like the wolves).  But if it ambushes... then there's a bigger chance that by the time we see it coming, it may be too late.

Part of me still holds on to hope that the Bear Spear will one day make it into the survival sandbox. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@UpUpAway95
Honestly, I have no idea (in the context of the game, that is)... I really only meant it lightheartedly.
I imagine fire/flares might ward it off.  There's no reason to think that arrows won't be just as effective.

I think that the big concern for me is if it might be set to be an ambush predator.

If it's something that roams... then that's much easier to deal with and likely could be distracted or run off by stones (just like the wolves).  But if it ambushes... then there's a bigger chance that by the time we see it coming, it may be too late.

Part of me still holds on to hope that the Bear Spear will one day make it into the survival sandbox. 

I realized that and loved the cleaverness of your response BTW.  I agree about the ambushes - particularly if it ambushes while sleeping in caves.  I'm not one who really cares about the bear spear though.  It's heavy and I don't really like the mechanic it uses in story mode... but something new and different just to ward of cougar attacks would be interesting, I think.

A propane cannon  would also be an "explosive" way to light a fire - with the appropriate chance of instant death, fo course. 😀

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It's heavy and I don't really like the mechanic it uses in story mode...

Fair enough, and to each their own.
For me, those are the two reasons that I like it.
It means there is a real cost and risk if we wanted to use it.  I prefer the idea that it only gives us a chance to make a struggle with a bear "winnable" (even if we are still bloodied and clothes still torn and ripped in the process... at least we're not full on mauled).

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

something new and different just to ward of cougar attacks would be interesting, I think.

Agreed.  But I don't have any expectations either way... I'm content to either be pleasantly surprised or enjoy thinking about how I can use what we already have available to us to cope with the new threat.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

I used to use decoys extensively. 

I'd always carry one scrap of rotten meat alongside the 1-2 pieces of fresh food grade meat. The game drops the rotten meat (which is nice) But I did this because I didn't want to kill the wolves. 

I think my record was 273 encounters with 0 struggles. 

That all changed with custom settings. Now I just turn animal aggression off and I only hunt for food. 

Still don't used water purification tabs though. 

Edited by Dx421
Made a mistake

On 12/4/2023 at 5:04 PM, Leeanda said:

How about some cave art during a blizzard?  Something to pass the time😁

I pick up used chain-torches and usually break down any campfires I build in places I don't use regularly - I'm not really one for leaving my mark in the world, either in TLD or IRL. ^_^

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, artmunki said:

I pick up used chain-torches and usually break down any campfires I build in places I don't use regularly - I'm not really one for leaving my mark in the world, either in TLD or IRL. ^_^

I know what you mean..dropped torches and fires look a bit messy , especially in a long run... 

I'm sure you've made a mark in real life though,in a good way I mean😊

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 5:23 PM, ManicManiac said:

@artmunki

I get what you mean.  Honestly, I've never used spray paint either.  While I can appreciate what it's meant to be used for... I find I just don't need that.  However, let me just say that for those who do like it... I'm glad they have that feature.

Oh aye, I totally agree. Just because I don't find it useful doesn't mean I can't see its place in the game. I also very rarely use guns in the game (I mostly play Voyageur), usually only carrying one at the start until I find or make my first bow, but obviously I'm not against guns being in the game. Just not the way I choose to play, is all.

On 12/4/2023 at 5:57 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

Darkwalker challenge?

I guess that's maybe something to add to my list of things I've never done then - I've never played most of the challenges. I think I've done Whiteout, Hopeless Rescue, and maybe Nomad, but I've never bothered with any of the others.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I know what you mean..dropped torches and fires look a bit messy , especially in a long run... 

I'm sure you've made a mark in real life though,in a good way I mean😊

I think it's probably like a holdover of my camping habits - y'know, always clean up after yourself and leave things as you found them.

As for leaving my mark in the world ... well, I guess I may have left a small memento here & there, but honestly I prefer a quiet life IRL too. What  lovely thing to say tho. ^_^

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, artmunki said:

I think it's probably like a holdover of my camping habits - y'know, always clean up after yourself and leave things as you found them.

As for leaving my mark in the world ... well, I guess I may have left a small memento here & there, but honestly I prefer a quiet life IRL too. What  lovely thing to say tho. ^_^

That's always a good philosophy 😊.  I keep telling my son to tidy up after himself and it never works lol...  

Well quiet life or not I'm sure you have left a mark.😊

• Upvote 2

On 12/3/2023 at 8:38 PM, xanna said:

I have never made a snow shelter either, although I've dismantled a lot of them (thanks, snow shelter bug!)

I have never had dysentery, an infection or cabin fever.

Gotta update this since spending time in the Zone of Containation: I have now built a few snow shelters, and rolled the dice with infection and lost. Love the new regions and the new challenges they bring!

I have made rock caches, but I also tend to spend a lot (maybe even a majority) of time living in caves, so I'll often build a cache in my fave cave(s) in a given region for storage.

I can think of a good idea for how to change decoys to make it usable; really make it a bait item that can pull in wolves/bears from the smell range; turn them from decoys into baits, basically, as a hunting aid.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:22 PM, artmunki said:

I very much doubt I'll be the only one, but I don't think I've ever used spray paint. Okay, maybe I sprayed one sign early in my play to see what it looked like, but since then I've really just seen them as the game's only full-time junk item.

I use spray paint to keep track of meat I harvest along the way on the long runs, or where I drop loot before moving it to one of the bases. Otherwise ill forget very quickly. Also I use it to position myself on the map and to check if I'm going in the right direction.