Common things you never do...

ajb1978

I just realized today that apart from controlled experiments where I'm testing mechanics, I have NEVER used a decoy to distract a wolf in this game. Not once. I always either evade them or kill them (and sometimes the other way around) but never once dropped a decoy. I just checked my stats for my current long run...

image.thumb.png.a40ee7dac4d165825de655f455ca3058.png

Anyone else got anything like that? Some simple, easy, basic thing that's been part of the game since "forage for firewood" was a menu option, that you just never use.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've never made a snow shelter... if that counts?    

Actually until last month I hadn't crafted half of the gear on the table...   hatchet,knife,moose coat etc... 

Funny thing, my first time playing Episode 4 when I realized how boned I was in terms of supplies, I "went full on Grizzly Addams" and tried to craft a whole set. Imagine my disappointment when I decided using 10 rounds to drop a moose was a wise investment in return for a satchel, and then discovering Will can't craft the satchel.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Funny thing, my first time playing Episode 4 when I realized how boned I was in terms of supplies, I "went full on Grizzly Addams" and tried to craft a whole set. Imagine my disappointment when I decided using 10 rounds to drop a moose was a wise investment in return for a satchel, and then discovering Will can't craft the satchel.

I never even thought of crafting anything on story...   that must've rankled,10 rounds is a good amount to lose..

• Upvote 2

I've had an idea for more than a year to have a game of TLD "I Have Never" (aka Never Have I Ever) on the forum, but I put if off because some platforms didn't have access to some of the new things yet so it seemed more polite to wait. This is basically exactly the same idea, great minds think alike! Nice one!

I think the 'drop decoy' mechanic was stronger in previous versions. It's a bit of a legacy feature now IMO and I don't think I've ever used it on purpose either.

I have never made a snow shelter either, although I've dismantled a lot of them (thanks, snow shelter bug!)

I have never had dysentery, an infection or cabin fever.

• Upvote 2

I have dropped a decoy, but not for many years - at least intentionally.  I did notice that one of my recent 50-day runs gave me credit for one (not sure - must have been a wolf nearby when I dropped meat in front of my base).  I haven't yet made a fishing lure or bait, though - if the more recent additions to the game can count towards this. 😀  ( I will probably get around to trying it out sometime soon.)

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, xanna said:

I've had an idea for more than a year to have a game of TLD "I Have Never" (aka Never Have I Ever) on the forum, but I put if off because some platforms didn't have access to some of the new things yet so it seemed more polite to wait. This is basically exactly the same idea, great minds think alike! Nice one!

I think the 'drop decoy' mechanic was stronger in previous versions. It's a bit of a legacy feature now IMO and I don't think I've ever used it on purpose either.

I have never made a snow shelter either, although I've dismantled a lot of them (thanks, snow shelter bug!)

I have never had dysentery, an infection or cabin fever.

I've never had dysentery either..and I've tried a few times lol..  several litres should've done something,so I gather it's really rare and based on luck..

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

It is possible, at least on Voyager… maybe it’s off on Pilgrim?

The custom template for pilgrim has dysentry on, so I would assume that it is still on in the standard pilgrim mode as well.  I remember getting it once a long time ago, but I honestly can't remember what settings I was using at the time or even whether it was on a standard difficulty or custom one (some sort of custom one would be the most likely though, even if it's just to select a particular map for a 50-day one-zone run).

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've never had dysentery either..and I've tried a few times lol..  several litres should've done something,so I gather it's really rare and based on luck..

Wow me either, not even deliberately. Never considered that until just now but that is the one thing I have never actually seen myself. And at this point I think I'm gonna double down and try to never EVER see that for myself. I mean it's been what, 8-9 years? If I haven't gotten it by now I should be golden lol

Although it does make me think of an old wish list idea for "The Underdark" as a region. A massive subterranean region with no sunlight at all, and thus no trees or firewood. If your only source of easy drinking water were to harvest unpotable water from pools on the ground, then treat them with tablets, it would add a ton of value to those. As it is, you only need a handful of sticks (which can be acquired for free.)

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, xanna said:

It's a bit of a legacy feature now IMO and I don't think I've ever used it on purpose either.

I do still use it for quickly getting meat and gut out of my inventory.

However, I have not really ever used it for its explicit purpose of "decoying," at least not in the context of hunting.  Back in the day, I thought decoy hunting was just too much of a cheap/cheese tactic, and aside from some early experimentation... I opted to never do it.

I think maybe once or twice over the last 9 years or so... I have used the "drop decoy" hotkey to sacrifice a piece to ditch a wolf while I was hauling a store of meat from one place to another. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
So, I mean... sure it's rare for me, but I do still find there are some good use cases for the Drop Decoy hotkey.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I do still use it for quickly getting meat and gut out of my inventory.

Oh yeah, for sure. I meant the tactic specifically, not other uses of the hotkey.

That hotkey makes such a difference to long harvesting and cooking marathons!

• Upvote 2

@xanna
Absolutely.
Also, I didn't mean to misunderstand what you were getting at (or if my reply read in a critical way - that was not meant).
I do absolutely agree with you about decoy hunting.
Frankly, I'm glad that Hinterland changed it... especially since they had expressed that decoy hunting was a straight-up exploit of the decoy mechanic and wasn't meant to be used that way in the first place.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, artmunki said:

I very much doubt I'll be the only one, but I don't think I've ever used spray paint. Okay, maybe I sprayed one sign early in my play to see what it looked like, but since then I've really just seen them as the game's only full-time junk item.

How about some cave art during a blizzard?  Something to pass the time😁

• Upvote 1

@artmunki

I get what you mean.  Honestly, I've never used spray paint either.  While I can appreciate what it's meant to be used for... I find I just don't need that.  However, let me just say that for those who do like it... I'm glad they have that feature.

It's also a good topic of discussion.

The items I find I never really have reason to even pick up:
Painkillers
Spray Paint
Tinder Plugs

(I think that as of right now... the only situation where painkillers might be considered nessiary is if we get stomped by a moose... but even then, we have rosehip tea as an alternative.  Of course, when I mention tinder plugs, I mean beyond Fire Starting Level 3, but even before that... it's just as easy to make them, that I find I don't have much cause to pick up ones I find along the way.)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artmunki said:

I very much doubt I'll be the only one, but I don't think I've ever used spray paint. Okay, maybe I sprayed one sign early in my play to see what it looked like, but since then I've really just seen them as the game's only full-time junk item.

Darkwalker challenge?