Common things you never do...

ajb1978

On 12/5/2023 at 6:10 PM, ManicManiac said:

@UpUpAway95
Honestly, I have no idea (in the context of the game, that is)... I really only meant it lightheartedly.
I imagine fire/flares might ward it off.  There's no reason to think that arrows won't be just as effective.

I think that the big concern for me is if it might be set to be an ambush predator.

If it's something that roams... then that's much easier to deal with and likely could be distracted or run off by stones (just like the wolves).  But if it ambushes... then there's a bigger chance that by the time we see it coming, it may be too late.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Part of me still holds on to hope that the Bear Spear will one day make it into the survival sandbox. 

Dammit, once cougars arrive I'm not taking the bulletproof vest off. Ever! 

Edited by bysinda
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bysinda said:

I use spray paint to keep track of meat I harvest along the way on the long runs, or where I drop loot before moving it to one of the bases. Otherwise ill forget very quickly. Also I use it to position myself on the map and to check if I'm going in the right direction. 

Oh, I've never doubted that some could find it useful, and I might even follow some recent advice in these threads to use it to mark out that massive new transition cave until I get to know it better, but it just never really suited my way of playing. We all find our own path in the Long Dark...

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bysinda said:

Yup, it serves my goldfish memory very well 😁  paint isn't even enough,  I have to keep a list of loot and it's location. Thank god I don't have similar problems IRL

You're certainly not alone there. I keep a simple spreadsheet on each run, listing what I've stashed where. And even then I all too often forget to keep it updated properly, so it's never completely accurate.  ^_^

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, artmunki said:

You're certainly not alone there. I keep a simple spreadsheet on each run, listing what I've stashed where. And even then I all too often forget to keep it updated properly, so it's never completely accurate.  ^_^

Maybe once we get a camera we can photograph our loot instead of writing it down 😁 

Huh, maybe I'll switch to simple pen and paper instead of typing in-game .

• Upvote 2

I hardly ever chop down wood. Like maybe once every couple of games in a very specific circumstances. Either you have enough sticks anyways (on everything except loper) or it is to cold to actually do it without spending at least half as much resources to do it as you get from it .... like on loper.

Also never once had dysentry, not even in my first stumbling days.

Never got Mending to level 5. Not once. Not in over a thousand days. Same with the stoopehd revolver. Still hate that thing.

Actually never have been down in the mine in CH in a survival game. Always felt too little reward to risk my entire run on.

Never hid on a tree or something like that to kill agressive animals. Always felt like a hard exploit.

2 hours ago, bysinda said:

Maybe once we get a camera we can photograph our loot instead of writing it down 😁 

Huh, maybe I'll switch to simple pen and paper instead of typing in-game .

I do like the in-game notes - in earlier runs I was in the habit of keeping a regular journal as I went, along with the general notes page for important stuff. But once I started my spreadsheet all of that kinda fell by the wayside. It's super handy!  ^_^

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, artmunki said:

I do like the in-game notes - in earlier runs I was in the habit of keeping a regular journal as I went, along with the general notes page for important stuff. But once I started my spreadsheet all of that kinda fell by the wayside. It's super handy!  ^_^

I tried to use journal for keeping track of my arrows but got annoyed with scrolling all the time 😬

5 hours ago, xanna said:

I love my spreadsheet so much :coffee:

So simple, and so useful. I know where everything's stashed (so long as I keep it updated properly), I have a running tally of all the most useful consumables, and I even use colour fill to remember which locations have a healthy meat pile.

Just now, artmunki said:

So simple, and so useful. I know where everything's stashed (so long as I keep it updated properly), I have a running tally of all the most useful consumables, and I even use colour fill to remember which locations have a healthy meat pile.

Ah, a kindred spirit! Mine has lots of little lists, like how many bears killed, how many blizzards, and I have made good use of lookup tables. I even made a calculator for how much time is remaining on a x% cured item because I cba doing the maths every time. I want to make a little video of it to share, but they keep adding items and I can't stop tweaking it : ) The only problem is being motivated enough to keep it updated!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, xanna said:

Ah, a kindred spirit! Mine has lots of little lists, like how many bears killed, how many blizzards, and I have made good use of lookup tables. I even made a calculator for how much time is remaining on a x% cured item because I cba doing the maths every time. I want to make a little video of it to share, but they keep adding items and I can't stop tweaking it : ) The only problem is being motivated enough to keep it updated!

Wow, yours sounds so much more involved than mine. I just have a list of sites I'm using, grouped by region, and each site has a field for important stashed items and a list of ten tally fields for those consumables. But then, I never really got around to learning to use spreadsheets properly.  ^_^

19 minutes ago, artmunki said:

Wow, yours sounds so much more involved than mine. I just have a list of sites I'm using, grouped by region, and each site has a field for important stashed items and a list of ten tally fields for those consumables. But then, I never really got around to learning to use spreadsheets properly.  ^_^

To be honest, I used this as a project, as an excuse, to learn some spreadsheet stuff, and had so much fun I have added way more than I really need, just for the nerdy fun of playing with formulae.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, xanna said:

To be honest, I used this as a project, as an excuse, to learn some spreadsheet stuff, and had so much fun I have added way more than I really need, just for the nerdy fun of playing with formulae.

Y'know, I can totally get behind that.  ^_^

• Like 1

Keeping notes on console is terribly tedious.  So I tend to just scribble quick reminders & notes on random pieces of scrap paper, some of which I can't decipher later on... 😁

I do have several really nice journal/notebooks with matching pens & highlighters which I never use because I'm "saving" them (for what??) 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, twyn1 said:

I do have several really nice journal/notebooks with matching pens & highlighters which I never use because I'm "saving" them (for what??) 

For the love of everything anyone of us hold dear, USE THEM.

Take one and write one word in it 

Use it. Cmon. Don't be like me. Live

• Upvote 1

Never have I ever used the balistic vest. To be true I wore it for getting it out from the prison first time. But then... too heavy. Apart from that I have used every tool game offers. Untill now. I did not crafted the travois yet. But I am gonna to.

BTW as someone wrote that he never got dysentery. I just sipped once the yellow water on voyager difficulty and was rewarded with it.

• 3 weeks later...