Bears changed pathing?

Leeanda

Has anyone else noticed that some of the bears don't follow the same paths any more?   

The birch bear in pv hasn't been seen near the barn on my last two runs and the bear that usually goes round the farmhouse now follows the road up to three strikes then goes home again.     

I've actually seen more moose than bears on this run which is very odd.. 

I know there's a few bugs with bears at the moment .my last visit to ash I followed the footprints from the cave and they just stopped, I looked everywhere for the bear up there but found nothing. Then as I neared the rope bridge I heard incredibly loud snuffling but that's it.  It seemed like he'd wandered onto some unseen ledge below the bridge .

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I haven't noticed anything new with bears yet... but I certainly have spotted many more moose than usual.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'll definitely have to see about tracking more bears (as the opportunity permits).

Thank you🙂.    Don't go and get yourself mauled though! 

I wonder if it's intended with the moose.   It does help  though ,given there's no rubbings on Xbox at the moment 

• Upvote 1

Yes I have noticed that. I stayed for a few days in Mountaineer's Hut and the bear never showed up in Crystal Lake like it used to. 

Although the bear in Ash Canyon (Miner's Folly) is still following the same path... 

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I know there's a few bugs with bears at the moment .my last visit to ash I followed the footprints from the cave and they just stopped, I looked everywhere for the bear up there but found nothing. Then as I neared the rope bridge I heard incredibly loud snuffling but that's it.  It seemed like he'd wandered onto some unseen ledge below the bridge .

On one occasion in ash I encountered the bear just as I got to the bones on the way to the foreman's cabin, I backed up to the bridge and when the bear wanted to cross the bridge the bear came down the canyon wall to the bottom and just hung around.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, javijungle said:

On one occasion in ash I encountered the bear just as I got to the bones on the way to the foreman's cabin, I backed up to the bridge and when the bear wanted to cross the bridge the bear came down the canyon wall to the bottom and just hung around.

Sounds funny but terrifying!   You mean the wooden bridge though don't you?  I meant the rope bridge.  

There's definitely something up with them though...   

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2023 at 6:37 AM, Leeanda said:

Sounds funny but terrifying!   You mean the wooden bridge though don't you?  I meant the rope bridge.  

There's definitely something up with them though...   

We haven't made any recent updates to bears (except when fixing bugs as needed), but if you're noticing strange behaviours, please don't hesitate to file a ticket. We're always happy to look into it. http://hinterlandgames.com/support

• Upvote 2

The bear that usually visits Crystal Lake in TWM sometimes just stops visiting the Lake for stretches of 50 to 100 days. Instead of luring him towards the Fishing Hut I will perch on the rocky promontory on the way to the Wing and lure him into arrow range from that location.

In a similar fashion the bear that visits the CH Fishing cabins usually approaches using the roadway from the bridge at the mouth of Bear Creek to the cabins.  After hunting the approaching bear from the rocks overlooking the roadway for 100+ days, the bear stops visiting the cabins for long stretches.  After weeks of absence he will resume his old route.

It seems that the game has some built in variability for bear routing.

Mine was more an issue with not seaming to respawn.  I had killed the Poachers Bear several game days back, had been into and out of ML/FM (trying to get that last Camp office Computer file) and was moving things around FM, getting ready things set to move into BR and further.  All this time, that Bear never respawned, UNTIL, I had peaked into BR to just map the other side of the tunnel and when I had come back into FM,  that one Bear had finally respawned...  seemed sort of glitchy in the time to respawn on him.

I did follow both the pv farm and birch bears to check their routes.   The farm bear  now seems to follow the road toward three strikes then veers off to the right(it did get a bit stuck for a few minutes near the shed) then went as near to the rivers edge as possible without actually going over the rock ledges. It then followed the edge of the field for quite some time until it cut across to the fallen near and followed the road back to it's den. It took the majority of the daylight hours to even reach the road.   

I had chance to follow the birch bear from it's cave today too.it went straight to the small shed with one tractor and hung around there for a while , then more or less went in a straight line towards the road entrance.  I had to cut through one of the hay sheds to follow it so only lost sight briefly but when I came out it had vanished.   I searched the entire area from the road ,across the field and paths but it had just gone. There were no footprints anywhere either,not even where I knew it'd definitely been. 

I've never seen either bear use those routes before but if it's not unusual I'd be interested to know .

Edited by Leeanda

On 5/4/2023 at 6:04 PM, Leeanda said:

Thanks @Admin..  I'll keep an eye on them for the next few days or so .   I am actually seeing more moose than bears on this run though but I'll file a ticket if things stay the same.

I killed two moose in Bleak Inlet in the same corner within 2 in game days of each other. Was the strangest thing, not that I'm gonna' complain.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedFox said:

I killed two moose in Bleak Inlet in the same corner within 2 in game days of each other. Was the strangest thing, not that I'm gonna' complain.

I'm not complaining either.😁.  You can never have enough moose.  

Hmm, I've noticed different pathing for bears as well. Not a big deal to me though; I enjoy the randomness to where they go. 

Just yesterday, the Clear Cut bear in Mystery Lake fell through the ground while I was hunting him (I used Dev Console fly mode to find him. It was the only mod I was using so I don't *think* it was cause by that but I don't have proof). I don't know how or why and don't have evidence so that stinks, but I decided to fly down to where he was a harvest him up on the floor of ice underneath the region 😂

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pencil said:

Hmm, I've noticed different pathing for bears as well. Not a big deal to me though; I enjoy the randomness to where they go. 

Just yesterday, the Clear Cut bear in Mystery Lake fell through the ground while I was hunting him (I used Dev Console fly mode to find him. It was the only mod I was using so I don't *think* it was cause by that but I don't have proof). I don't know how or why and don't have evidence so that stinks, but I decided to fly down to where he was a harvest him up on the floor of ice underneath the region 😂

Lol.  😁.  

Sinking flying and disappearing  bears.....   And the good old fashioned trying to kill you ones, they certainly like to keep us on our toes😁

• 1 month later...

I've noticed a difference  - and I like it a lot. 

The most bizarre incident took place in HRV. I'd just killed the bear that lives in the south-central area near Stairstep Lake and was in that central cave laying down the hide when another bear appeared in the mouth of the cave! Not only did it enter the cave, it ran around the perimeter of the cave twice and then ran out. I managed to hit it once with a panicked revolver shot, then tracked it back north of the river. I've never seen a bear that far from its territory and never had one enter a cave like that. 

It was an exciting event in that run, and I'm all for removing the predictable animal behavior. 

Final note  - it reminded me of this: 
“Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the Masai 'Ngaje Ngai', the House of God. Close to the western summit there is a dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude.”
 Hemingway Ernest, The Snows of Kilimanjaro 

40 minutes ago, TFA303 said:

I've noticed a difference  - and I like it a lot. 

The most bizarre incident took place in HRV. I'd just killed the bear that lives in the south-central area near Stairstep Lake and was in that central cave laying down the hide when another bear appeared in the mouth of the cave! Not only did it enter the cave, it ran around the perimeter of the cave twice and then ran out. I managed to hit it once with a panicked revolver shot, then tracked it back north of the river. I've never seen a bear that far from its territory and never had one enter a cave like that. 

It was an exciting event in that run, and I'm all for removing the predictable animal behavior. 

Final note  - it reminded me of this: 
“Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the Masai 'Ngaje Ngai', the House of God. Close to the western summit there is a dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude.”
 Hemingway Ernest, The Snows of Kilimanjaro 

I've not seen any bear crossing into another's patch  in a long time so I don't know what happened with yours....  Unless it was following you and you weren't aware ... Not sure that's feasible either but strange things can happen in this game🙂