I wish cabin fever was removed as a gameplay "feature"

elpresidente

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

... and we'll see how quickly the old problem of people "camping" indoors for days on end returns... There may be no leaderboards now, but there is still an "ego" about pushing saves to the utmost extreme for # of days survived... if sitting indoors pressing the "pass time" button can be called "surviving" in this game.

For the record, I agree that this is something Hinterland should try stop from happening, I just think Cabin Fever was a bad way to go about it. The game would get better if Cabin Fever was simply removed IMO, (after all, there are plenty of things to do in TLD besides hibernate, now more than ever) but ideally Cabin Fever would be replaced with something else designed to disencourage/stop hibernation.

My personal ideal solution is a rework to food decay, (ruined food is no longer edible, you can make jerky to have meat last longer but the process takes effort, resources, and it's calorie-inefficient, and food decay values should also be generally rebalanced) which is usually how a lot of other survival games aim to kick you out of bed. If you have long-term food sources, you could still hibernate, but you'd be burning through high-quality food whilst accomplishing nothing productive.

But there's also other options, like the popular idea of adding an equivalent to Well Fed that encourages outdoor survival. I would love a reason to keep up a streak of never using interiors.

4 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

You're equating cabin fever with a game mechanic that "destroyed farms" in a multiplayer environment.

I was only observing Disease and Cabin Fever's small mechanical similarities because I think it's a funny coincidence. The only points of comparison I think matter between them is that they are/were both hated by their respective communities, and they are/were both defended by the existence of Custom Game settings that could disable them, I was pointing out in this scenario, DST still benefited from deleting Disease.

might be inclined to spend more time indoors staying warm than outside facing my fears.  I would not have learned how possible it is to stay outdoors in blizzards or how cozy it can be to sleep out in a cave or how to keep a fire burning by nursing it with sticks when the wind changes and a host of other activities beyond "sitting in a car" attempting to press the "pass time" button.

This is a great defense and I'm sure those were great experiences, but I think they are more happy accidents than genuine virtues of Cabin Fever. If Cabin Fever was a more transparent mechanic, or if you looked up how it worked, you probably would've have found yourself in fewer of those exciting situations in the first place, and spent more time sleeping in cars or fishing huts.

So yes, I agree getting players in situations where they need/want to abandon the safety of indoors to brave the outdoors is a good thing. Cabin Fever is just a really badly implemented way of doing it IMO.

there's nothing I can do to wake up for an aurora that started 4 hours before I had selected to wake up?... even if that's the aurora that can get me out of the Cinder Hills Mine in CH?  Is that a "better" game mechanic than the cabin fever one... so much better that it shouldn't be removed, but cabin fever should be?

I don't want to get into too many detours on what mechanic in TLD deserves removal/altering the most, but yes, I agree the game should give players the option to wake up when an Aurora happens.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, diggity said:

That valid but it's a more subtle problem than CF which is really blatant and kind of in-your-face.  And why not always set sleep for 4 hours?   Wake up, ok nothing's happening, back to sleep.

Maybe an old rusty alarm clock could make waking up after 4 hours more believable, not sure.

Works until the aurora starts 1 hour after you go to sleep and quits before 4 hours has elapsed.  It's random... and still doesn't change the fact that the game demands that a player completely exhaust themselves before they can sleep for an entire night - unless they have an illness like food poisoning, in which case they can sleep for 10 hours regardless of how tired they are - that's why Lopers will eat their "risky" calories just before going to sleep as long as they have a couple or reshi teas or some antibiotics on them.  If they do have the meds, it means it's actually beneficial to eat low-condition food since you can sleep longer and recover more health over the night than you can otherwise.  My point is that it still doesn't make sense.

Is cabin fever more "in your face?"  Is the fact that it warns you of an increasing risk of it what makes it "in your face?"  If that's the case, then using the Fallout 4 approach of just not telling the player that their risk of disease is increasing would solve the issue, wouldn't it.  A lot of people playing FO4 erroneously think that diseases are caused by sleeping on a dirty mattress.  Fact is, you can still get them sleeping in your own clean bed in your settlements.  It's a dice roll the odds of which are determined by the percentage of your "disease risk pool" which increases when you engage in certain activities (e.g. swiming) and decreases over time as you avoid those "risky" activities.  Betthesda just doesn't tell you your "disease risk pool" - so, does that make it more palatable.  Another difference with FO4 survival mode (which a lot of FO4 players love BTW, including me) is that which disease you get is totally random... you could go to sleep and wake up with an infection or parasites or lethargy and there is no association between what you did to increase your disease risk pool and what disease you get.  Does that "surprise, you have X disease" make it a more palatable game mechanic?

People here are claiming CF is a bad mechanic... bad enough that the only thing that should be done about it is remove it... but, how exactly is it so bad?  So far, all that's being really said is, apparently, everyone but me doesn't like it.

Personally, I think the only thing that, perhaps, needs to be reworked is the "math" it does to determine how the risk itself rises and falls.  That it doesn't make IRL "sense" is not really a problem - unless you want to eliminate everything that doesn't make sense in this game... insomnia due to glittler fog, animals going crazy during auroras, and not being able to wake up when all the lights around you start buzzing, wires start snapping, etc. 

ETA:  ... and since as you suggested an alternative to how I select sleep times in the game to help workaround that issue... Isn't that the exact same thing as my suggesting that rather than sitting in a car attempting to smash the "pass time" button, the OP get out of the car, find a cave, and sleep... or hunt or cook or harvest clothes into cloth or gather wood or any of a number of other activities to get around the issue of having CF... Isn't your suggestion and mine exactly same thing, in principle.  Even though diseases aren't "fun" in games... there are ways to still have fun in the game in spite of them.

Edited by UpUpAway95

18 minutes ago, Lexilogo said:

My personal ideal solution is a rework to food decay, (ruined food is no longer edible, you can make jerky to have meat last longer but the process takes effort, resources, and it's calorie-inefficient, and food decay values should also be generally rebalanced) which is usually how a lot of other survival games aim to kick you out of bed. If you have long-term food sources, you could still hibernate, but you'd be burning through high-quality food whilst accomplishing nothing productive.

I also really like this idea. As diggity mentioned, cooking level 5 is way too powerful and allows vast stockpiles to be amassed. I'll add on to this idea with a detail of how I imagine it could work. Currently you can find coal by searching mines and caves. My suggestion would be to add salt as another item that would gradually accumulate in caves and mines. Better yet, make it selective to only certain mines/caves and make it rare enough that the player is incentivized to explore to gather more of it.

One other thing I'll mention is that CF does not prevent hibernation per se. Instead it just changes the venue of hibernation to caves. There is some wear on a bedroll, but there is a lot of cloth so it's still very doable to pass lots of time hibernating in a cave and using the starvation strategy. Plus, there are a handful of caves that have "beds" in them (e.g. cave at the bottom of the Ravine), so even the wear on the bedroll could be avoided if caves like that are used.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, diggity said:

It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing.  Remove/rework one thing at a time.  Gotta start somewhere.

I would be ok with CF if they extended the beginning of risk to 30 days.   After 30 days completely indoors, you begin to have a risk of going stir crazy, yep, makes sense. 45 days, you're at 50% and so on.   But after only 2 or 3 days? In these conditions?   No way.

And what is the point of bunkers?  Having a well-stocked bunker means a survivor would spend weeks in it, maybe longer.   So they're going to give us a cool new bunker and then say, nope sorry, you can't enjoy it too much.  Leave now or else.  How does that compute?

Fair enough... I'm OK with that sort of change.

As for bunkers - I just found one on the "high road" from Spence's Farm over the Bunkhouses in Forlorn Muskeg.  Empty except for a couple of cardboard boxes and a bed... so now I have a nice, warm indoor bed to sleep in if a blizzard rolls through at Spence's Farm... only trouble is, I'm very likely to sprain something every time I try to go up there.  I'm still looking for my well-stocked bunker of my dreams. 😀

ETA:  I would say 30 days is too long for this game... perhaps more IRL realistic, but that doesn't make it a better game mechanic, IMO.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

So far, all that's being really said is, apparently, everyone but me doesn't like it.

Personally, I think the only thing that, perhaps, needs to be reworked is the "math" it does to determine how the risk itself rises and falls. 

I also said I like it, and I also said that the calculation is a headline problem. It's not just you ❤️

I have to totally exhaust myself to get a full night's sleep... since when IRL is that a thing?

Don't forget that the max sleep in TLD is 12 hours, which is (for adults) far longer than a "full night's sleep" IRL, which is averagely 7-8 hours. That makes TLD 'full night' 50%+ longer than IRL. To sleep for 12 hours straight IRL I would absolutely have to wear myself out completely, or be ill. (I still wouldn't sleep that long because I suck at sleep, but in theory.)

Anyway, back to Cabin Fever...

14 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Forgive me for saying but how have those who have played since day one or near enough not got all the feats already?

I've only been playing for three years and the only one I don't have is dark walker and that's because I have no interest in doing that challenge.

Not everyone buys the game at the same time. A friend of mine got it last month, thanks to me talking about it. I kind of regret it - I keep getting phone calls/texts asking for pointers in the middle of the night now. LOL But I don't want to be a spoiler!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Kranium said:

Not everyone buys the game at the same time. A friend of mine got it last month, thanks to me talking about it. I kind of regret it - I keep getting phone calls/texts asking for pointers in the middle of the night now. LOL But I don't want to be a spoiler!

Lol.  😊. You could send him the link to the tips thread. 

I appreciate that but a lot of the people saying but what about the feats have had it a long time. 

1 hour ago, xanna said:

Don't forget that the max sleep in TLD is 12 hours, which is (for adults) far longer than a "full night's sleep" IRL, which is averagely 7-8 hours. That makes TLD 'full night' 50%+ longer than IRL. To sleep for 12 hours straight IRL I would absolutely have to wear myself out completely, or be ill. (I still wouldn't sleep that long because I suck at sleep, but in theory.)

Anyway, back to Cabin Fever...

True... that's why I'm focusing on nights of 8 to 10 hours... setting the time for 8 and waking up in 6 because I wasn't exhausted enough... and let's not forget that condition recovery in this game is linked to sleep.

Also, IRL - a circadian rhythm is based on light, not exhaustion.  I've had a regular circadian rhythm since I was a kid... and that involves naturally tending to sleep longer in the winter when the days are shorter and staying up later and rising earlier in the summer when the days are longer.  Of course, the difference winter/summer is more pronounced the farther you are from the equator.  It's nature's way.

Nevertheless, we aren't really talking about reality here at all... we're talking comparative game mechanics.  I think I should be able to sleep until dawn without having to totally exhaust myself the night before to do it.  As it is, it adds nothing to the gameplay other than the annoyance of waking up and then "passing time" instead until it's light enough to see... unless I want to be forced to light up another torch just to get out of the room.

Back to Cabin Fever - Also, it isn't that you get cabin fever after spending 3 days indoors... it's based on a moving average ratio of indoor/outdoor time over the previous 6 days.  A rework of that math might be in order, but 30 days at 100% indoors is definitely too long since all the player would have to do to nullify it is go outside for an hour (or less) every 29th day.  I just don't think that's in the spirit of this game centered around outdoor survival.

16 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

True... that's why I'm focusing on nights of 8 to 10 hours... setting the time for 8 and waking up in 6 because I wasn't exhausted enough... and let's not forget that condition recovery in this game is linked to sleep.

It's pretty easy to tell from the fatigue dial how many hours you'll get. If you're getting 6, that means you've only used half of the energy available - an empty meter is 12 hours total. The daylight on Great Bear is 12 hours long every day - perpetual equinox - so it's not possible to only be awake during daylight hours unless you completely exhaust yourself. It's a matter of aligning the fatigue meter with the clock - not unlike real life for many people :)

Edited by xanna

14 minutes ago, xanna said:

It's pretty easy to tell from the fatigue dial how many hours you'll get. If you're getting 6, that means you've only used half of the energy available - an empty meter is 12 hours total. The daylight on Great Bear is 12 hours long every day - perpetual equinox - so it's not possible to only be awake during daylight hours unless you completely exhaust yourself. It's a matter of aligning the fatigue meter with the clock - not unlike real life for many people :)

On standard maybe... but in custom that can be changed.  Rate of exhaustion also changes with the different standard difficulties.  It's also adjustable with coffee, Go, and stims.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Can it be changed in custom? I don't think so. I know that fatigue rate is adjustable, as you say, as is condition recovery rate, and rest as a resource can toggle, but none of those change how many hours of sleep the fatigue meter is worth. I can't see any other settings pertaining to sleep/Rest. The length of day multiplier still sets a day as 24 hours as defined by the sleep/pass time mechanism, and besides can only be adjusted upwards.
AFAICT, you can customise or play 'harder' modes to deplete the fatigue meter more easily, but it will always take 12 hours sleep to fill it up from empty, just as the hunger dial is always filled by 2500 calories. What am I missing?

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Fatigue#Sleep

tld custom.png

11 minutes ago, diggity said:

Or a full day outside, it's just numbers and a formula to tweak.  But regardless, I don't see what's wrong with spending extended periods of time indoors - it's actually called Survival mode, not Outdoor Survival mode - so if that's how someone wants to spend their time, that should be their choice.  It's not a competition anymore - no leaderboards, no hacking exploits for advantage.   But as it is CF is too aggressive, so if they could just could tone it down a bit, even 21 or 14 days before risk begins would be enough to placate most players, I imagine.

Well, there are requests for the microwaves working during auroras... next we'll be asking the devs if we can get HBO in order to pass time.  I think at that point, I'll just stop playing TLD altogether and watch HBO IRL. 

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda RE: custom > feats: it's a no-go for many, until/unless Hinterland makes them available in Custom mode. Weird decision on their part, that one. Like taking Stalker level & making one custom tweak to it to make it a touch harder negates Feats, while Pilgrim doesn't. Absolutely nonsensical. I mean, consider the 500 days feat... not exactly a quickie!

Regarding Cabin Fever:

Alcohol: cures Cabin Fever, causes Drunkenness (use the low condition/near death effect). Allows you to sleep indoors but only after Drunkenness wears off. Wake up dehydrated & Cabin Fever risk resets to zero.

A basic concept I posted a while back. Food (well, c'mon, beer = liquid bread, and bread = food) for thought.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, xanna said:

Can it be changed in custom? I don't think so. I know that fatigue rate is adjustable, as you say, as is condition recovery rate, and rest as a resource can toggle, but none of those change how many hours of sleep the fatigue meter is worth. I can't see any other settings pertaining to sleep/Rest. The length of day multiplier still sets a day as 24 hours as defined by the sleep/pass time mechanism, and besides can only be adjusted upwards.
AFAICT, you can customise or play 'harder' modes to deplete the fatigue meter more easily, but it will always take 12 hours sleep to fill it up from empty, just as the hunger dial is always filled by 2500 calories. What am I missing?

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Fatigue#Sleep

tld custom.png

However, you were talking about how quickly that exhaustion takes place and how convenient that the day/night cycle is 12 and 12 for that.  What I'm talking aobut, however, is the rate of exhaustion is such that often, you're not exhausted when night falls and you're in a location where you don't have another torch or any other form of light... you want to sleep until dawn (until there is enough light to get out of the room), but you wake up fully rested 2 hours short of dawn... so, you're options - pass time until dawn, harvest in the dark, "jump"  around in place to get tired enough again to sleep and hour before dawn, or get lost in the dark and spend two hours unsuccessful trying to leave the room.  Now, many you yunguns with good eyes can see in this game in the dark, but I cannot.

It doesn't make sense to me because, my circadian rhythm is good and I would sleep quite easily until dawn.  I would also, being alert to noises as I am (because sleeping with an awareness of impending dangers is also a "natural" thing), I would wake up if all of a sudden every light in my room came on and started buzzing noisily.

None of it makes sense... If the argument against CF is that is makes no sense... then that argument fails in the context of the game because there is very little in the game that makes perfect IRL sense (that's what games are all about).  If the argument against CF is that it inconveniences the player and disrupts their plans, then every injury or disease or even "rest as a resource" and not being able to cancel sleep also can do that.  So that argument also fails, IMO.

Furthermore, there are fun ways to workaround CF... just as there are alternatives to how the player responds to any of the injuries/diseases in the game.  It's just a matter of how the player "wants" to respond to that situation.... and then, if all else fails, the player STILL has the option to simply turn the issue off in custom (you know, if they personally feel that it benefits the way they themselves play this game to stay indoors all the time).  Truly, I've said all I'm going to on this matter.  Have at her guys... good luck.  I'll miss it if HL removes it... but I'll adapt like I do with everything else in this game... except maybe the addition of HBO... then I'll just quit playing and turn on my own TV. 😃

ETA:  Perhaps they should replace CF with a random aurora event that suddenly locks the doors to every indoor location in the game for 24 hours (sucks if you happen to be indoors without enough food or water if that happens)... but hey, in works for the Cinder Hills Mine.😀  Naw... too easy... make that locks the doors to every indoor location in the game... until the next aurora comes along.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

you were talking about how quickly that exhaustion takes place and how convenient that the day/night cycle is 12 and 12 for that. 

Ah, no I wasn't at all, I think you misread or assumed some other context. I was saying that if you set the timer for 8 but only get 6, that's something you can anticipate and calculate beforehand by looking at the fatigue meter and understanding it as a dial of 12 hours. I then went on to say that you can plan your sleep (to avoid such unexpected wakings) by aligning the fatigue dial and the clock, using both measurements together to calculate when you'll wake. That would be true even if the clock wasn't a neat multiple of the fatigue meter as it's just working in fractions. I have no opinion on the relationship between the magnitude of the fatigue dial and the length of the day, and I honestly can't see where I said anything positive about it, or anything about it at all, really. I also can't see where I talked about how quickly exhaustion takes place, I really don't think I did. I did say that complete exhaustion=12 hours' sleep seemed about right as IRL it would be unusual for me to sleep for 12 hours without being completely exhausted or ill. I made no comment about how long it takes to get to 100% exhaustion, as that's not relevant to that observation. I am of course aware that exhaustion rates differ - I play with fatigue rate set to medium (same as Interloper), but I've played other settings, too. I have encountered the same issues you describe, and I manage them to my satisfaction through planning. I made no comment on whether it's good or bad to have to do that, or if it would be better or worse to be able to sleep longer. I was just discussing the game as it is.

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Furthermore, there are fun ways to workaround CF... just as there are alternatives to how the player responds to any of the injuries/diseases in the game.  It's just a matter of how the player "wants" to respond to that situation.

Yes, I completely agree and this is what I said in my own thoughts on the subject. I'd appreciate it if you could acknowledge that we agree about Cabin Fever as your replies to me read as though I am disagreeing and that you're the only one standing up for it which is not true. I don't think I've disagreed with anything qualitative that you've said.

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It doesn't make sense to me because, my circadian rhythm is good and I would sleep quite easily until dawn.

In TLD, I do usually wake up just after dawn, and that's achieved by staying up quite a while after sunset (and planned for using the fatigue dial and clock as I mention above). This mirrors my real-life experience, too. TLD days are equinoctal - 12 hours of light, 12 hours of darkness - but just like IRL I won't sleep for 12 hours, so I must necessarily spend some time in the dark. I live at about 53°N latitude, so on an equinoctal day, such as we have around this time of year, dawn is about 0700 and sunset about 1900, say. I wake up at 0700, but I don't go to bed at 1900, I go to bed at about 2300. Hence I spend time in the dark till bedtime, get about 8 hours' sleep, and wake up at dawn. This mirrors my TLD experience pretty exactly. Again, I'm not saying whether it's good or bad, or whether rest as a resource is good or bad, but I do observe that my survivor's experience is actually very similar to my own in this regard - staying up late until the amount of rest I expect to get will take me to the time I want to wake up. IRL I do that by having bedtime habits passed on to me by society and formed through years of my own experience, in TLD I do that by looking at the fatigue meter in concert with the clock.

The only reason I began talking to you about this is that I recognise what you're saying about bumping around in the dark waiting for sunrise, or spending time harvesting in the dark etc., and I have been frustrated by it too. It doesn't strike me as at all unrealistic, though. In a day of 12/12 daylight/nighttime, expecting to sleep through all the hours of darkness and therefore for 12 hours would feel unrealistic as that is not the usual amount of time that people sleep for. The frustration can be understood as one not of sleeping patterns but of lack of light. We invented candles and gaslight and electric light so that we could occupy ourselves in the dark, but our poor survivor doesn't have the luxury of cheap, easy light any more, so does have to spend some time in the dark in order to have the usual wake/sleep routine of around 16/8 or whatever. Whether that dark is at the end of the day or the beginning is just a matter of choice and planning. I choose to be awake in the dark evenings rather than the dark pre-dawn because evenings are warmer, meaning (among other things) that I can often be outside when the moonlight is bright enough to do useful things. This is how I overcame my annoyance at waiting for the sunrise in the dark, by using the meter and the clock and going to bed accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...

Cabin Fever has been with us a long while now.  I grew to accept it, and in the greater context... I even appreciate it.

As it is, it creates a need to find a good balance between our indoor and outdoor dwell time.  It's also a good motivator to "get out of the house" and stretch our legs.  Is the negative reinforcement the best way to go about it?  Maybe...  I mean, often the most expedient call to action for most humans is the avoidance of negative or uncomfortable consequences. :D 

The subject of Cabin Fever has been discussed, debated, and argued over ever since its inception.
As I've mentioned in the past:

On 5/31/2020 at 7:25 PM, ManicManiac said:

I think it's relatively easy to just wait out cabin fever... I know a lot of folks have come to depend on "passing time," but I've learned to largely get by without it.

To me, it's just not that big a deal to not be able to sleep or pass time for 24 hours.  :D

On 6/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, ManicManiac said:

Besides that, what I'm talking about is...
A: it's not that hard to avoid cabin fever to begin with.
B: It's not that hard to spend a night without using the "pass time" feature... that's why if you plan well, you can use that time for inventory management, breaking down items, or crafting/mending projects (I'm sure folks will say, "but how?  It's dark"... most indoor places have a firebox, and it only takes at most 80 sticks to keep a fire burning all night long).  There are several ways to mitigate the effects of cabin fever.

Instead of fussing about cabin fever... I found better ways to avoid it and found that even if I have to tough it out for a day; that cabin fever can be kind of trivial if you approach it/prepare a little differently.  :D

I think part of the whole point of the game is to adapt to and overcome the situation your in... not about fussing to change the game for every to adapt to just an individual's personal preferences.

and for those who just can't adapt... they always have the custom options. :)

On 1/10/2021 at 10:15 AM, ManicManiac said:

I think it's easy enough to just not spend so much time indoors.  Fireboxes (that is to say any other than actual campfires) are windproof outside, and campfires in the front end of caves are also effectively windproof (campfires in hollowed out tree trunks fairly well protected as well).  So, I think there are plenty of relatively easy ways to avoid being "indoors."

Personally I don't think this mechanic needs to be changed, I like the balance that Hinterland has already achieved.

On 1/10/2021 at 11:50 AM, ManicManiac said:

As is... I would say it's already pretty intuitive to simply not spend so much time inside.  That's why I don't think the mechanic needs to be altered.
I just think that the current system works fine, and I don't feel that it needs to be re-worked.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:09 PM, ManicManiac said:

For Cabin Fever, I get what you're saying and in the larger context, I understand. 

As it stands, I just still don't think that Cabin Fever is all that bad, and I still think that being able to "turn it off" with custom settings is more than a reasonable solution.

I kind of want to have to deal with Cabin Fever.

Regardless of the reasons why it's here, I'm still pretty glad it's here.  I'm willing to accept it for what it is, and play in the world Hinterland has curated.

On 3/28/2021 at 4:42 PM, ManicManiac said:

I'm actually kind of glad that I've gotten to play around with Cabin Fever, and get a refreshed perspective on it.

All-in-all, I can sort of understand why some folks have complained about it, however... I still think it's not really that big a problem to deal with.

On 6/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, ManicManiac said:

I still think the better solution is to be more careful and deliberate in our actions.
I don't see a need to change the game if we can just simply change the way we play it.

I think that the Cabin Fever affliction is easy to avoid and not at all hard to deal with, and because of that... I'd say there's nothing wrong with the mechanic.

I think it would be better for folks to try to adapt and overcome, and for those who just can't manage it... they already have the option to just turn off that feature.

Since folks have that option... I'm not sure why folks still seem to want to change something that they can simply opt out of. 

I say leave Cabin Fever the way it is.  If it's working the way Hinterland intends for it to work... then I'd say it's not broken. :D

On 8/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, ManicManiac said:

Have folks considered maybe not worrying so much about cabin fever risk?

Even if we do get full on cabin fever it just means you can't sleep or pass time indoors for 24 hours (you can still be indoors if you want to).  That's not really difficult to tank if we are properly prepared.

One trip to a mine can give us more than enough coal to keep any place on the map blazing hot for 24 hours.  Also, if we don't spend so much time inside hiding from the cold, we will rarely even get a risk of cabin fever.

After all, keep in mind that we have to spend the majority of 6 consecutive days inside to even contract the risk.  Which to me, means that if we are constantly having to deal with cabin fever, maybe we need to rethink our play style...

On 8/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, ManicManiac said:

As we get proficient in the game, cabin fever is just not that big an obstacle.  Granted a player may get a little bit screwed by lots of consecutive blizzards, but even so cabin fever is not really that difficult to deal with.

I think it's fine as is... if the Team wants to make tweaks and changes, then fine.  I just don't see any real need for lobbing to change it, when really all a player needs to do is adapt their playstyle a little bit and not hang out inside so much.

I didn't go through the entire list of search results... but I picked out enough of my posts from the past to pretty thoroughly explain my perspective on it.  :) 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Cabin Fever has been with us a long while now.  I grew to accept it, and in the greater context... I even appreciate it.

As it is, it creates a need to find a good balance between our indoor and outdoor dwell time.  It's also a good motivator to "get out of the house" and stretch our legs.  Is the negative reinforcement the best way to go about it?  Maybe...  I mean, often the most expedient call to action for most humans is the avoidance of negative or uncomfortable consequences. :D 

The subject of Cabin Fever has been discussed, debated, and argued over ever since its inception.
As I've mentioned in the past:

I didn't go through the entire list of search results... but I picked out enough of my posts from the past to pretty thoroughly explain my perspective on it.  :) 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Agree with you on this. 👍

• Upvote 1

Imagine if you have to describe cabin fever to someone who has never played this game: So, I have to sleep in a car that is five meters away from a cozy warm house, in eleven separate one-hour increments (because freezing doesn't wake you up in harder difficulties) because somehow staying next to a warm stove more than the few hours allowed drives you crazy and you can't sleep. And my friend will ask: And you find this fun? and I will be like: Of course not, are you mad?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, elpresidente said:

And my friend will ask: And you find this fun? and I will be like: Of course not, are you mad?

That's the reaction I get when I describe any aspect of TLD to a friend! 😄