Beachcombing Part 2 - What have you found?

hozz1235

I have not seen the fishing boat for a while - playing on Voyageur.  It is rarer since the cooking update.  When it does spawn after blizzards it has been invisible more often than visible. When invisible the loot within such as fish, flares,canned food, clothing, etc. is floating  above the surface of the ice ready to be plucked out of the air.

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I don't do much beachcombing but I did get the boat the other day...  Flares and flare shells and very good condition clothes..  pilgrim..

I've never seen a toolbox though.

Red toolboxes are very common finds via beach combing these days..At last count I have 16 toolboxes stashed at the CH Fishing cabins and adjacent fishing huts - playing on Voyageur.  Most were found via beach combing and most are the red toolboxes. If metal was scarce in CH I might start breaking down toolboxes for their metal.

3 minutes ago, Blizzard Walker said:

Red toolboxes are very common finds via beach combing these days..At last count I have 16 toolboxes stashed at the CH Fishing cabins and adjacent fishing huts - playing on Voyageur.  Most were found via beach combing and most are the red toolboxes. If metal was scarce in CH I might start breaking down toolboxes for their metal.

Aside from one or two hatchets I've had no tools at all...     It's only the second boat I've had too...    I tend to get various containers with clothes in ,arrows ,and corpses/carcasses more than anything else... Or just wood and fish..

42 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I wonder if HL has scaled the loot down a bit...

Or my theory about a ciclical system of washed items it's true :)

Since the BC update, most players experience some points of extremetly common stuff and then the item becomes rarer (if not completely unavaliable) for a while. This happens with the toolboxes and other items, at least on Interloper.

This doesn't happen with common loots (fish, sticks and so on) but happens with high tier items, and maybe it's region-related (Like passing some time on a region changes the cicle of washed items).

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 1:59 AM, Glacia said:

Or my theory about a ciclical system of washed items it's true :)

Since the BC update, most players experience some points of extremetly common stuff and then the item becomes rarer (if not completely unavaliable) for a while. This happens with the toolboxes and other items, at least on Interloper.

This doesn't happen with common loots (fish, sticks and so on) but happens with high tier items, and maybe it's region-related (Like passing some time on a region changes the cicle of washed items).

That is correct. Something has been done to the beachcombing system. 

I've spent about 40 days in CH recently only to beachcomb and i have noticed that the higher tier items dont spawn at all or its extremely rare on Interloper. for the duration of time i had only one boat (but it had one fish, lantern oil and cloth inside and i never ever had anything inside) only one red tool box, one blue flare, some low tier clothing and gazillion wool tooks, loads of fish, sticks, wood, loads of saplings, some beef jerky and chips, no matches what so ever, no flare shells either. It seems they nerfed it but its still powerfull. 

Also like You said after a while you are in one region the items that are beeing washed out sort of like jam and there will be only sticks and l;ow tier stuff washed ashore. When i leave the region for say a couple of days and come back more variety  of items seem to wash out but still after some time the thing kinda jams again. 

Also i revised the Blizzard frequency on interloper and i gave wrong data. I have checked my 1300 day run and 421 run and both seem to have 2 blizzards in 3 days so 2/3 ratio and not 1/2 like i said earlier. Some times i cant finish to gather the stuff and another blizzard hits. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 5:38 PM, Leeanda said:

Aside from one or two hatchets I've had no tools at all...     It's only the second boat I've had too...    I tend to get various containers with clothes in ,arrows ,and corpses/carcasses more than anything else... Or just wood and fish..

Leeanda, I cannot account for the variation in beach combing contrasting your experience with mine (Voyageur).

I keep an inventory of what I have stashed away.  At the CH Fishing Cabin location I have 11 knives, 21 hatchets and 18 hacksaws - almost entirely due to beach combing. In addition I have perhaps another 8 hatchets stashed at the two fishing huts that flank Jackrabbit Island. I use hatchets for all cutting tasks and care little if they wear out as I can harvest them for 2 metal and one fir firewood.  It is accurate to say that I am finding them more quickly than I can wear them out.

The great prize on Voyageur when beach combing are rifle cartridges plus empty rifle shell casings. 

If I see any main change in beach combing loot it is in the appearance of the fishing boat. It is much less frequent.  However, I am still finding a fair amount of  red and blue flares plus occasional prizes like 100% condition fisherman's sweaters.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
  • Upvote 1

On Interloper settings, I’ve found…

• Fish, Coho Salmon seem to be the most common
  • Birch saplings
  • Sticks
  • Quality tools
  • 90% wool toque
  • Cattail stalks
  • Cattail heads
  • Quality toolbox
  • Human corpses
  • Fishing boat

I have yet to find any ignition sources or medicines, but apparently others have.

I think it’s fair to say that all round, beachcombing is hugely overpowered.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

On Interloper settings, I’ve found…

• Fish, Coho Salmon seem to be the most common
  • Birch saplings
  • Sticks
  • Quality tools
  • 90% wool toque
  • Cattail stalks
  • Cattail heads
  • Quality toolbox
  • Human corpses
  • Fishing boat

I will add to this list (interloper ofc)

• - Painkillers (quite a lot)
  • - Canoe (sometimes fish inside/beside)
  • - Metal lockers one or two (always empty)
  • - Wooden locker (90% clothing inside and yesterday i had a box of crackers inside)
  • - Suitcase (90% clothing inside)
  • - Birch bark
  • - Pallets
  • - Wood planks
  • - Deer corpse
  • - Rabbit corpse but ruined and it despawns on pickup xD
  • - Rabbit pelt (cured)
  • - Sardines
  • - Granola bar
  • - Old man's beard
  • - Cedar and Fir
  • - Reclaimed wood
  • - Leather shoes
6 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

I think it’s fair to say that all round, beachcombing is hugely overpowered.

Oh yes. 

7 hours ago, Blizzard Walker said:

Leeanda, I cannot account for the variation in beach combing contrasting your experience with mine (Voyageur).

I keep an inventory of what I have stashed away.  At the CH Fishing Cabin location I have 11 knives, 21 hatchets and 18 hacksaws - almost entirely due to beach combing. In addition I have perhaps another 8 hatchets stashed at the two fishing huts that flank Jackrabbit Island. I use hatchets for all cutting tasks and care little if they wear out as I can harvest them for 2 metal and one fir firewood.  It is accurate to say that I am finding them more quickly than I can wear them out.

The great prize on Voyageur when beach combing are rifle cartridges plus empty rifle shell casings. 

If I see any main change in beach combing loot it is in the appearance of the fishing boat. It is much less frequent.  However, I am still finding a fair amount of  red and blue flares plus occasional prizes like 100% condition fisherman's sweaters.

Well  I tried coastal highway last week and I got quite a few  hatchets on the one day..  I had 4 in one exact spot alone.. and a further 3  but just as I was about to finish one run across the beach a blizzard blew up  so I think it kind of reset things mid search..  I ended up with about 12..  that was a rarity for me..

I've only ever found one box of matches and only found flares on the big boat once..   no knives,no toolboxes..  very rarely i find rifle ammo but I get a few flare shells in bleak......    

• Upvote 1

Worst ever after blizzard .....one with a chocolate bar and a tin of dog food on him..that's it..this was desolation point. I think I've got a bug🤔 

Edit...  coastal highway after a blizzard....one improvised knife,1 stick and one cat tail head...  

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I came to conclusion how ridiculously overpowered beachcombing now is. Playing low recovery harsh settings + max bleak weather and spawning in DP, there was blizzard every day, and seemingly every morning you were able to just walk out to the edge of the ice and, among other gifts, get very high calories fish for free from these _loot crates_. There was no particular need to bother with other food sources when you just know the next free package is about to spawn. It's ludicrously easy. If we cannot have beachcombing (and the new luxury bunkers) disabled in the Custom settings, I'm just have to ignore them then.

But pretending they don't exist isn't very thrilling so I still wish for disable option. Would the Custom disable slider be hard to implement @Admin?

(Btw we also still need Custom slider for Ptarmigan spawns)

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Beachcombing seems to have tuned down substantially sometime during September.  In game (Voyageur) I exited Coastal Highway for about 100 game days to visit PV and TWM.  Upon returning I noticed various changes: (1) more thin ice conditions in areas where post blizzard items show up, (2) different locations for the items that wash up every week or so with or without blizzards and (3) a marked reduction in high value items on the ice like tool kits, flare shells, rifle rounds, rifle cartridges, knives and hacksaws.  Fish are less common.  About the only items seemingly unchanged are clothing found in suitcases, trunks and lockers.

Fortunately I hoarded a good deal of loot beachcombing loot for my current Voyageur run while I could.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling

On 9/11/2023 at 7:07 AM, Mistral said:

Once again I came to conclusion how ridiculously overpowered beachcombing now is. Playing low recovery harsh settings + max bleak weather and spawning in DP, there was blizzard every day, and seemingly every morning you were able to just walk out to the edge of the ice and, among other gifts, get very high calories fish for free from these _loot crates_. There was no particular need to bother with other food sources when you just know the next free package is about to spawn. It's ludicrously easy. If we cannot have beachcombing (and the new luxury bunkers) disabled in the Custom settings, I'm just have to ignore them then.

But pretending they don't exist isn't very thrilling so I still wish for disable option. Would the Custom disable slider be hard to implement @Admin?

(Btw we also still need Custom slider for Ptarmigan spawns)

True. Im on a similar run ( Max bar drainage, lowest possible day and night health regen, worst weather with winds maxed out, no perks, no birch bark) and i went to start a base in CH yesterday. I have found load of stuff and the blizzards are just so constant it respawns really fast. 

On 10/8/2023 at 7:12 PM, Blizzard Walker said:

Beachcombing seems to have tuned down substantially sometime during September.  In game (Voyageur) I exited Coastal Highway for about 100 game days to visit PV and TWM.  Upon returning I noticed various changes: (1) more thin ice conditions in areas where post blizzard items show up, (2) different locations for the items that wash up every week or so with or without blizzards and (3) a marked reduction in high value items on the ice like tool kits, flare shells, rifle rounds, rifle cartridges, knives and hacksaws.  Fish are less common.  About the only items seemingly unchanged are clothing found in suitcases, trunks and lockers.

Fortunately I hoarded a good deal of loot beachcombing loot for my current Voyageur run while I could.

I have only noticed the increase in thin  ice areas and graphic bug that came with it - when ur in a fishing boat washed ashore and enter the cabin the ice beneath starts to break and the crack graphic overlays on the boat/texture. Same with metal containers washed ashore. 

Item wise still OP. I even found one carabine shell which i never ever did on that difficulty so they did something.... but i dont really know what - no info in patch notes. 

Honestly - i dont feel a diffrence after the 150 bug fixes that occured. Maybe bcoz i havent had issues that occured on PC. It feels more broken - now when i press right on my controller the weapon that gets chosen is mostly flare gun and it was always bow. I dont see changes in snow lightning, no changes in interiors during diffrent weather conditions. I really dont know what was fixed. I still have to place the pot first to cook something and cant just cook str8 like with water boiling. Still i have silent blizzards. Waiting for next part of the update and we will see. 

• Like 1

After reading about other's experiences and recent changes, these are my observations:

• They have definitely moved some of the weak ice boundaries.  I've had to readjust much of my "tinder guiding markers" which I use to show me where the weak ice is
  • I'm still finding quite a bit of "stuff", but less tools.  <edit>  Just found Quality Tools after 3rd run
  • Some items are well within the new "thin ice boundary"
  • Can't reach this deer carcass:

screen_03e1b716-b0b5-431d-b457-e581cdc2fccc_hi.thumb.png.ecd53c6fc065b05afbec0ce14483fd53.png

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

After reading about other's experiences and recent changes, these are my observations:

• They have definitely moved some of the weak ice boundaries.  I've had to readjust much of my "tinder guiding markers" which I use to show me where the weak ice is
  • I'm still finding quite a bit of "stuff", but less tools.  <edit>  Just found Quality Tools after 3rd run

screen_03e1b716-b0b5-431d-b457-e581cdc2fccc_hi.thumb.png.ecd53c6fc065b05afbec0ce14483fd53.png

hozz1235, you are spot on with your observations.  After one dunking I gave up on trying to reach trunks or backpacks well within the thin ice boundary.  I have found 1 quality tools since the changes but none of the knives, hacksaws, rifle cartridges and rifle shell casings I had been finding regularly.  I still find an occasional blue flare or MRE.  Birch saplings and broken arrows are proving abundant.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Twice in DP I've had the fishing boat appear in the weak ice.  The first time I didn't want to chance it because the weak ice symbol still appears after getting into the boat.  The second time I figured I'd try it for science.  Before I could finish searching one place, while standing on the boat, sploosh!  Dunked and placed back on the ice.    

34 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Twice in DP I've had the fishing boat appear in the weak ice.  The first time I didn't want to chance it because the weak ice symbol still appears after getting into the boat.  The second time I figured I'd try it for science.  Before I could finish searching one place, while standing on the boat, sploosh!  Dunked and placed back on the ice.    

Same here but i managed to loot it and escape in the last second (thank you crampons). Seems like some items washed ashore are now Hypothermia traps. Im wondering if its intended or they messed sth up. 

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's funny, you are ON a boat, but fall through the ice...

It seems there were quite a few bugs introduced when 2.23 released.

• Upvote 1