Wishlist ideas for TFTFT

I'm sure the team has an idea of what they plan to release for the next 12 months, but I thought it might be fine to discuss some wishlist items and speculate what it could add to the game and maybe offer some Suggestions to the dev team.

As a person who lives in Canada, in what is considered "a remote area", a lot of people have gasoline generators. It would give another use for the jerry cans that we find throughout Great Bear, but also makes you consider when and how to use it.  It could also introduce crude oil, which come from dead animal remains. However, on one hand, it takes special refinery equipment to turn the oil into gas and specific knowledge how to do it safely.  On the other hand, if Mackenzie and Astrid can craft gun powder, bullets and use specialized equipment, they can handle turning crude oil into gas.  

The generator could also have a condition and needs repairing, otherwise a low condition generator could cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

Besides a gasoline generator, they could introduce a solar generator and/or battery.  Which could also lose condition as well.

Finally, bone tools would be a nice addition.  They obviously aren't as great as the tools we have now, but thinking long game, you'd always have access to bone tools from the animals you kill and it would save the better tools for when you really need them. Or even making some bone weapons, like bone arrowheads. Might be nice for Interloper considering resources are scarce.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cullam said:

I think he means instead of bones, for tools.

Wandering around the new region, I find myself wishing I could find a pair of binoculars. And a way to manually add some path information to my charcoal map.

Ah. Gotcha. And yeah, I was thinking the same. I wanted to see what was near the cliffs in the airfield but not run all the way out there to find nothing. Path info would be nice as well. Good ideas.

• A fishing rod, for ocean fishing
  • Pre-generated maps you can find, because cartography is rarely if ever used
  • Overhauled Memento inventories, because I really don't think three Cured Birch Saplings are worth going up to Rickety Foot Bridge
  • More common Shortwave Radio spawns, because I couldn't find a single one in Forsaken Airfield. (Checked Final Approach, ATC, Main Hangar, and Mindful Cabin- no dice. Maybe put one at Surfeit Trestle in Far Range Branch Line?)
  • Fix for Helicopter interiors- you can only sit in 4/6 seats, and as such can only access half of the containers
  • Markings on the coal chute in Vacant Depot, because I thought it was unintentional until I saw the door on the side
  • More details on where Vaughn's Rifle spawns- didn't see it in Vacant Depot when I stopped by

That's all I can think of as of now.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DavidKS said:

The biggest thing I would like to see is more achievements.  Or unique item collectables for personalising a safe house (which may well come later)

I’ve been suggesting for a little while the idea of a “mini-game” on the computer terminals during the Aurora. I feel like that could become an achievement with a lot of directions it could take. 
It could be anything from randomly picked games from the old Windows 95 consoles (i.e. minesweeper/solitaire/etc.), to playing the long dark while playing the long dark 😂
Another possibility would be making the computer files that come up similar to the momento keys for finding stashes or unlocking doors throughout the different facilities on the maps.  Basically, Archivist 2.0 as a concept.  But more hands on. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, making permanent some of the better mods.  Hunger revamped, better water mgmt, better fuel mgmt, one-click sticks, even place anywhere are all mods that I feel are mostly gameplay-neutral (ie, they don't inherently lessen nor increase the challenge) and are almost inarguably more realistic than the base experience.  I know we pack rats all love Well Fed but it really doesn't have much basis IRL, right? Besides that's what we have the Tech Pack, Satchel, and soon Travois for.  I suppose water does make the game more challenging but seriously how AM I stashing all that 8L of toilet water anyway?

Just my 2c for when we're back to mods.........🤞

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Foxhound6 said:

Honestly, making permanent some of the better mods.  Hunger revamped, better water mgmt, better fuel mgmt, one-click sticks, even place anywhere are all mods that I feel are mostly gameplay-neutral (ie, they don't inherently lessen nor increase the challenge) and are almost inarguably more realistic than the base experience.  I know we pack rats all love Well Fed but it really doesn't have much basis IRL, right? Besides that's what we have the Tech Pack, Satchel, and soon Travois for.  I suppose water does make the game more challenging but seriously how AM I stashing all that 8L of toilet water anyway?

Just my 2c for when we're back to mods.........🤞

I don't use mods and this is more a wishlist to Hinterland then it is to people who make third party mods.  I'd rather have well fed and the moose satchel and the technical backpack, but even with all of that you stash the 8L of water at a base or a rock cache.  I personally only carry 3L of water.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I know.

I don't need HL to keep using mods, but I do need them if any of these mods are ever to become part of the base game so we don't have to run like 11 additional programs that introduce bug/crash potential just to improve the experience. 

As for the 3L, 8L of water, whatever....ever wonder exactly how you're carrying that around in your pack? Nice of them to just allow us to magically conjure bottles for all that H2O but that's not exactly how it'd work IRL, right?

Don't get me wrong, TLD's base encumbrance system is superior to probably 100% of other FPS games but for me, survival is such a realistic experience that I'm always thinking about what the IRL challenges would be and how the game can replicate them.

• Fix for Helicopter interiors- you can only sit in 4/6 seats, and as such can only access half of the containers

Yeah, that one's annoying. They really need to at least implement free look in vehicles. There's a mod that does that, I really miss it, hope it's updated soon!

RE: water: I use a 3L camelbak reservoir IRL for my mountain backpacking treks. Super comfy & carries well. Could be a good idea for the game.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Kranium said:

They really need to at least implement free look in vehicles.

I REALLY want to see free look in vehicles. Mostly because if I jump into a car to hide from a wolf, I'd really like to be able to look behind me, to see if they're still there before stepping out.

• Upvote 1

Oh one thing I meant to suggest. Hand and feet warmers. You can also get body warmers. Goes in boots, mitts for a one time use.  I'm sure the people from great bear have a few lying around.  Also is it just me, but 2 gas stations in all of great bear seems unrealistic. I am hoping for a gas station in on if the new areas 

Having started looking for mementos, I think an important needed feature is the ability to reference them on our map. Right now, we have a journal section for them, and can re-read the note. And we have a map with any of them marked. But we can't tell which note goes with which marker, other than remembering from when we first saw them.

• Upvote 2

On 12/12/2022 at 10:24 PM, Grignard_TN said:

Perhaps one use could be to rattle up bucks.

Another use could be multi steak cooking tool… or marshmallows if we had them.  

I still really really want to see working Electric tops during the Aurora.  I mean, if it can ignite downed electrical wires, why not that?

Edited by Semple Fi
Add stuff
  • Upvote 1

On 12/8/2022 at 6:18 PM, JackTrysGames said:

I don't think it's true that you can only access half of the containers. I think you still get access to ALL containers that exists.

There is a bug / glitch / exploit where you drop a lit torch in a vehicle / helicopter / plane, and the act of lighting a new torch allows you to freely rotate around. From what I heard, there are no more containers to be reached when doing that. Haven't tested it yet, so YMMV.

-t

5 hours ago, turtle777 said:

I don't think it's true that you can only access half of the containers. I think you still get access to ALL containers that exists.

There is a bug / glitch / exploit where you drop a lit torch in a vehicle / helicopter / plane, and the act of lighting a new torch allows you to freely rotate around. From what I heard, there are no more containers to be reached when doing that. Haven't tested it yet, so YMMV.

-t

You can reach the ones opposite you, and if you swivel a bit, you can reach the 2 beside you.  I think if you look up there is 2 above your head.

• Upvote 1

I used fly mode inside a helicopter, to check the compartments above the seats which you can't otherwise reach.

They are searchable. I found a cotton toque in one. Weird that we can't access them normally, so I guess it's either a glitch, oversight, or not implemented yet.

I'm generally pretty happy with what Hinterland has provided so far. A personal wish would be to have a new region with more human settlements, something like Milton, but of course with a different vibe. 

I'm not saying this for the possible loot or shelter opportunities. It's not a gameplay-related request. I would be fine with having a town with 80% inaccessible buildings. I'm saying this because for me the biggest mystery of Great Bear Island is how many people actually live there. From what we've seen in the regions released so far, if you count all the houses that are not isolated cabins, I'd say very few. Too few compared to the traces of industrial activity witnessed so far, which would suggest serving a bigger population. Unless the island is essentially a place to extract and export resources + a penal colony, so the only homes we're seeing are workers' (and isolated hunters') residences. Even if that were the case, I'd still think we should see more houses about. The Blackrock Penitentiary itself seems a disproportionately large place unless it's also meant to host criminals from other places outside the island.

I may be missing some important background information, though, because I still haven't played Wintermute; and yes, this is a game and there's ultimately suspension of disbelief, but still… 

Edited by Morrick
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Morrick said:

I may be missing some important background information, though, because I still haven't played Wintermute; and yes, this is a game and there's ultimately suspension of disbelief, but still… 

That would be pretty cool…

I imagine that in episode 5 and whatever part of the map opens after that there will be more in the way of a settlement.  Perseverance Mills has a lot of potential for that.  

But don’t miss your initial assessment, it’s primarily a place to extract resources.  The main settlements are PV and MT and CH.  ML is more of a summer vacation spot and industrial complex.  PV is the farming community that we see posters of around the game.  MT is the “City” with a grocery store and post office.  CH still feels local islanders.  
Remember the lore is that GB Islanders would have to travel to the mainland for the big stuff.  

I’ve lived in places that isolated, especially when there is only one way in and one way out.  So it’s feasible.  

On 12/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, LumiStylesTTV said:

You can reach the ones opposite you, and if you swivel a bit, you can reach the 2 beside you.  I think if you look up there is 2 above your head.

Ok, I did the test.

Light a torch, drop it in helicopter, light a second torch off the already lit dropped torch. When second torch is at about 75% being lit, crouch. I crouch. Now you can freely turn around 360 degrees.

And, indeed, those two lockers are accessible now.

I tried in a couple of helicopters, and didn’t find anything in them, but something about it is buggy.

-t