Murphy’s Laws of The Long Dark

conanjaguar

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 2:18 PM, Leeanda said:

When you need an aurora it doesn't turn up.  When you don't ,there it is.

Aye.

22. If you are relying on using torches to scare off wolves, and there is one right around the corner, then the wind will suddenly pick up.

23. When you drop a torch to throw a rock, every rabbit within miles will run away from you.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:29 PM, conanjaguar said:

11. Whenever you really need/want to find a moose, it will not show up. The moose will spawn at the exact instant that you use up the last of your ammunition.

On that same note, every time I’m leaving TWM to go achieve other things, the moose shows up at the landing gear wreckage.  Then I’m stuck between choosing another ten days at the hut or letting it go.  

and I’ve usually left the rifle back at the hut too….

• Upvote 2

• 10 months later...

BUMP

25. The prepper bunker you desperately need to be stocked will always be empty. You will find that bunker 100 days later when you don’t need the stuff anymore.

26. The wind will shift and out our the fire before the potatoes cook.

27. Everyone can eat raw meat. Once.

• Upvote 1

#32 (I think) -- If you take a prybar with you, you will find one in the new region almost immediately. If you decide to leave the prybar, it will take you days of searching to find another one.*

*(this can also apply to rifles, revolvers and other heavy but helpful/desired items)

• Upvote 3

33. If you’re in the mine in CH waiting for an aurora, it won’t happen. The aurora WILL show up the next time you walk through the Dam while exhausted and overencumbered, pleading for the aurora to not show up.

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mistral said:

Sticks are never useless whereas rocks can be. You shoule never stop collecting sticks unless horrendously overweight or on lower difficulties

You stick need to cook,boil water  and keep warm in caves during blizzards...   plus fire hardened arrows now for the birds.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mistral said:

Sticks are never useless whereas rocks can be. You shoule never stop collecting sticks unless horrendously overweight or on lower difficulties

Hence why I referred to rocks sense you aren't typically looking for then unless you need a rock cache or something 

19 hours ago, Retro Seamstress said:

Ditto sticks

Also…

*inhales* accelerant, ammunition, acorns, bedrolls, bears, books, burdock, bunkers, birch bark, birch saplings, clothes, caches, canned food, carrots, cattails, cloth, cured leather, cooking oil, cedar limbs, deer, fish, fire strikers, flare guns, flour, fir limbs, feathers, rabbits, replacement fuses, rose hips, reishi, reclaimed wood, rifles, revolvers, heavy hammers, hacksaws, lanterns, lantern fuel, moose, mag lenses, maple sapling, matches, oats, potatoes, ptarmigans, prybars, salt, soda, scrap metal, sewing kits, transceivers, toolboxes, and wolves.

Did I miss anything?

• Upvote 1

I mentioned sticks as I recently attempted the As The Dead Sleep challenge. Starting in Bleak Inlet I swear there was not a single damn stick on the ground from the lighthouse until I was close to the cave to Forlorn Muskeg (at which point the Timberwolves got me). Even on subsequent runs I've noticed there are hardly any sticks around. I don't normally spend much time in BI so I don't know if that's normal. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Retro Seamstress said:

Starting in Bleak Inlet I swear there was not a single damn stick on the ground from the lighthouse until I was close to the cave to Forlorn Muskeg

Did you check around the woodcutter’s cabin, or whatever it’s called? I got lucky with positive FLT over there and scored 60 or so sticks before I started getting cold.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, hozz1235 said:

When you really need something, all containers are empty - opposite true.

So true, one time I desperately needed antibiotics and couldn't find any in the whole Forsaken Airfield area. By the time I got some reishi mushrooms, a wolf attacked me while I was harvesting them, and that was that. 

• Upvote 1