Way too many wolves (Spoilers)

ikata

Use flares. They won't attack you when you are holding a flare unless you continue getting closer to them while they are growling at you. But even then, they usually just run away. 

This works for both timber wolves and regular wolves. The timber wolves will bite you if you get too close, though. 

Also, the only time I actually ran into a lot of wolves was [Possible Spoiler] getting the medicine. All of the other times, I only ran into around 2 timber wolf packs. There are lots of scripted wolf areas, and for those, you just need to hold a flare. 

• Upvote 1

Besides flares you can also evade timberwolves by getting into a car and taking a nap. They give up after a while. Regular wolves give up immediately and provided they aren't super close you can just get out and immediately crouch, then sneak out of range.

And lastly if you want to go on the offensive, craft some noisemakers! A direct hit on a timberwolf will deplete a HUGE chunk of pack morale, as well as stun it for a couple seconds. Then you can whip out the revolver and shoot him in the face before he starts running. Two noisemakers in a row will defeat any pack.

At least on Green and Capable survivor. About to start a Hardened survivor run and see what changes.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Serenity said:

And people miss the point again. Why is it whenever someone brings this up people think that it's just about difficulty or not being able to handle the wolves? It's such a stupid conclusion to draw.

What else would it be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

What else would it be?

Precisely. It’s entirely about inability to deal with wolves. In this episode which isn’t even stalker level, You get more ammo than you what to do with, almost unlimited flares. Hell even a bow and up to 6 arrows. 
  Wolves are not even remotely a problem with resources like that.  Hell I ate more wolf meat in this episode alone than I do in a 100 day interloper run.  I got parasites about 3/4 way through but finished episode before it was even an issue. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

What particularly irritated me about the wolves was when I was trying to get to the mine from the cave on the right side of the road.  Seven or eight times in succession after leaving that cave for the mine I was attacked by timberwolves in spite of my being crouched, out of sight and not carrying raw meat, uncured hides or guts.  Usually it was a pack of 5 wolves, then after that attack a second lesser attack. It seemed that the timberwolves were programmed to attack whatever precautions I took. 

After a noisemaker exploding in my hand giving me severe injuries I never tried using them again.  Perhaps if I had tested them and learned how to use them correctly they might have made it easier.  I found shooting the wolves with the revolver almost ineffective.  Eventually I made it to the cave on the left side of the road.  From there it was much easier to avoid the wolves and get to the mine.

10 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

What else would it be?

The abject stupidity in this forum is mindboggling sometimes.

No, it couldn't be that the wolves were placed (in)conveniently in all locations you have to pass at least once or twice. It couldn't be the broken timberwolf behavior where they constantly change between being afraid of you and growling. It couldn't be that they don't roam far if at all and always camp in the exact same spot. It couldn't be that they don't occasionally de-spawn to introduce some unpredictability. It couldn't be that even if you kill them they immediately respawn. It couldn't be that the whole experience thus just felt extremely artificial and scripted, whereas in survival mode it's usually far more organic.

I mostly enjoy dealing the wolves in survival mode. But there wasn't a single instance in Ep 4 where I enjoyed an encounter with a wolf. I can handle them fine. It just wasn't fun.

Edited by Serenity

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

No, it couldn't be that the wolves were placed (in)conveniently in all locations you have to pass at least once or twice. It couldn't be the broken timberwolf behavior where they constantly change between being afraid of you and growling. It couldn't be that they don't roam far if at all and always camp in the exact same spot. It couldn't be that they don't occasionally de-spawn to introduce some unpredictability. It couldn't be that even if you kill them they immediately respawn. It couldn't be that the whole experience thus just felt extremely artificial and scripted, whereas in survival mode it's usually far more organic.

I mostly enjoy dealing the wolves in survival mode. But there wasn't a single instance in Ep 4 where I enjoyed an encounter with a wolf. I can handle them fine. It just wasn't fun.

I feel like it's okay to disagree with people without name calling...

This episode WAS inundated with wolves... But the context seemed relevant enough. Several times in cut scenes it's mentioned that surviving the landscape outside the prison was nearly impossible, because of the wolves. 

I think it's less about whether or not you're adept at handling the wolves and more about how you're handling the landscape. I ran into four packs during the entire episode. Once when I was getting the medicine (this was a black wolf, who I accidentally shot in the face cause he scared me lol), a second time during my idiotic return from the dam (not realizing I could just use the door in the steam tunnels to get back to BRP), a third time near the southern farm ruins (this was the only instance where I had to spend time fighting them with flares/guns, instead of just scaring them off with my rifle) and the last, near BRP during the aurora (another black wolf). I found the wolf encounters in episode 3 to be considerably worse, especially during the survivor rescue quest and I found the bear in chapter 2 to be the most inane complication in the game. 

Ultimately the wolves are frustrating, but I found using alternative routes near the water or the ravine and staying off the path to be the least complicated... Particularly during the aurora. 

Just now, ElleJoy said:

I feel like it's okay to disagree with people without name calling...

^^^^ This.....

I realize it's been some time since I have been here, there used to be a lot of people who just had a love of the game and appreciated the other people who played it but the tone here has certainly changed..

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

I'm going to trust that you were either drunk or having a bad night, and overlook this. If this happens again you will earn a full block from me. I have no time for this kind of attitude.

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

Just because something is not what you expected doesn't mean it's wrong or broken, it just means it's not what you expected. You can no longer rely on conventional wisdom and need to adopt new strategies. Whether it's how to effectively use the new tools, how to properly evade timberwolves, how to search for secret hidden paths around these areas, etc. Every major timberwolf pack has a way to avoid them with or without weapons. I'm practically finished with Ep 4 on Hardened Survivor and haven't been bitten once, due to the lessons I learned by playing Green and Capable.

So what this sounds like to me is you're having trouble with the difficulty, and rather than take the time to actually learn how to deal with the problem, you decided to go online, complain, and attack other users. That is unfortunate.

• Upvote 3

• Admin changed the title to Way too many wolves (Spoilers)
10 hours ago, Cr41g said:

^^^^ This.....

I realize it's been some time since I have been here, there used to be a lot of people who just had a love of the game and appreciated the other people who played it but the tone here has certainly changed..

So very true! But it seems to me the negativity is mostly in the Story Mode threads. The Survival section is still a mostly positive place.

The object is to adapt and outsmart. Not make things easier. The prison was chosen because there is no chance a prisoner can escape and live. That’s why the worst of the worst are sent there. 
  I expect there to be harsh conditions and dangerous animals, Not campsites with s’mores and kittens. 
 If you can’t survive because there are too many wolves…. Unmmm…. Well, Yeeeeaahhhh.

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark