Usable flashlight

Mig_zvm

Right now the flashlight is pretty darn useless if you ask me.  I think it would be better if the batteries were charged up during an aurora so that you could use it thereafter until it is depleted.

Loonsloon also had the idea of making it scare wolves so that it would then become an important piece of kit when it was found.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

At first I thought that the flash light scared wolves away, so you can imagine my suprise and panic when kujo went in for a bite. If you want to determine wolves always keep a torch on you for that reason, not necessarily a fresh one, but ones scavenged from fires always help in a pinch too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

Electricity only works during an aurora. It's kinda tld lore. If batteries worked then cars and anything else battery powered would work too.

I guess, but what if I don't care about the lore and I just want to play an awesome survival game?  Also, does an EMP blast event really destroy all electronics forever?  I don't believe that is how it works, could be wrong.

I respect the idea of creating limitations and sticking to them, but then why go through the effort of adding an item which you basically can't ever use and then also make them weigh a ton so that the player won't ever really want to carry it in the first place anyway?

It seems like a waste and besides, would cars really be any benefit on the unpaved roads if they could be turned on?  I guess you could gas them up and run the heat on until the gas runs out...   hmmmm...

• Upvote 1

I would prefer it if the aurora just charged up the torch's battery such that the torch could be used after the aurora for a few days.  The torch could lose its charge over the following, say five or fifteen days.

I agree with Mig_zvm  that the torch is almost useless.  When there is an aurora I can see without the need for a torch.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, odizzido said:

Electricity only works during an aurora. It's kinda tld lore. If batteries worked then cars and anything else battery powered would work too.

Perhaps, but it gets very puzzling how sensitive equipment, such as computer can work during an aurora😊while something crude, such as batteries and cars cannot work. Also, very convenient how an aurora knows which voltage to send where. A flashlight gets 6v, while a milling machine and probably many bare wires get possibly 380v.

Great thing about games, not a lot of things have to make sense.

Edited by Stinky socks
  • Upvote 2

As with almost all balance inquiries, I can only always add, this is a game 😋

The aurora is there as an element to added a different aspect to the game. There are many questions as to the magic of the aurora. Car batteries turn on (car lights) but you can’t turn the cars on and maybe warm up let alone drive away.

Flashlight turns on but goes out when it’s over like the cars.

Its a mechanic. They wanted to give different options but only so far. It’s designed the way it is because it gives the access they want. 

It effects some powered items (lights, machine shop press, etc) but not others like larger machines around the island.

In the end, I just mechanics and available time to build the game. It may not be perfect/accurate but it does its job.

Edited by Syraith

7 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Perhaps, but it gets very puzzling how sensitive equipment, such as computer can work during an aurora😊while something crude, such as batteries and cars cannot work. Also, very convenient how an aurora knows which voltage to send where. A flashlight gets 6v, while a milling machine and probably many bare wires get possibly 380v.

Great thing about games, not a lot of things have to make sense.

I've noticed that things aren't great in that way and it's something I don't like about this game

Yeah like others stated, using the flashlight in high beam mode is the only counter to an aurora wolf (I think? I heard that they also avoid streetlights?)

During an aurora, regular deterrents like fires, torches, flares, and even a flare fired from a flare gun don't work. If you flash the high beam at an approaching aurora wolf, he'll stop and growl at you instead of charging. Last time this happened, I even approached him with it on and it made him flee (not sure if that was a dice roll though)

Edited by darkscaryforest
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I've never tried it, but it would seem neat if the flashlight would flicker at the start and end of an aurora so that people who pay attention could know when the elevator in the mine is about to lose power so they could escape. It would give the flashlight a unique use.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...