New food Recipies and Better food yield.

oplli

I remember a coulpe of times where i played interlopper and ran out of food. but i always had a whooole bunch of reishi mushrooms rose hips, tea and coffe around to craft into drinkables. and those saved my life. every cup of anything gives you 100 cal. so with a lot of cups i were often able to survive long enough to reach another reagion and get more food. Thoses situations made me thinking. Why dont we have more complex recipies with the rose hips, mushrooms and meat ? 

- also not to mention that we always get a whole lot of these drinkable medicines and personally i never hurt myself enought to drink them all  :D  

I would love to see some improvements about the food that we eat and more variety. and here are some examples of small improvements that could be vital:

#1, 1x reishi + 2x raw wolf meat or 2x bear meat = 2x Prepared reishi and meat stew. We all know that you can get parasites while eating predator meat even if its cooked. so this recipie prevent the parasites.

#2, 2x cat tail stalk + 1 reishi + 8 rose hips = Vegetarian salad. 500 cals, easy to make on the go requires no cooking and has a better food yield than every ingredients separated.

#3, it would be nice if we could make something out of the guts (another thing that always stack up) 1x cured gut + xyz cooked meat = xyz sausage. it gives a bonus of conservation and of calories. Also eating raw guts could give you 200 cals and a big indigestion. 

#4, the addition of a thermos would be a nice addition to help keep the coffee and tea warm longer.

#5, being able to heat up water and get a warming bonus

#6 Anything you could find useful or nice is welcome please send you suggestions ;) cheers !

• Upvote 8
  • Like 2

Perhaps a drink recipe that combines rose hips and birch bark, recovery and painkiller in one.

Warm up bonus for drinking hot water and a thermos, absolutely!

2 would solve my plant holding problem. 1 one would make stalker as easy as voyager with regards to food consumption. 

Be nice if they added hot coco. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/14/2021 at 9:12 PM, oplli said:

1x reishi + 2x raw wolf meat or 2x bear meat = 2x Prepared reishi and meat stew. We all know that you can get parasites while eating predator meat even if its cooked. so this recipie prevent the parasites.

Great idea! Stew is so often the go-to survival food in real life. :coffee:

• Upvote 3

There is this Medicinal Tea I drink called chaga. Chaga is a brown corky fungus that grows on birch trees and has a black shell that looks like charcoal. Out of all the tools that exist in the game, chaga can be harvested via prybar or axe. You can't really harvest chaga with the knife alone without a baton or hammer because the chaga is too corky and tough that you would need a baton or hammer. There is no baton in the game but there is a heavy hammer. Knife+hammer in inventory as a way to harvest could work or hammer+axe. or just the prybar or just an axe. If you used just the axe alone or just the prybar, you would be sort of bruteforcing it and probably wouldn't harvest as much. Maybe it could work that way in the game too. Actually now, I harvest chaga with saws. Even the hacksaw in the game could work.
The best time to harvest chaga is in the winter, that is when it is the most fresh. The game is set in winter and already contains birch trees, perfect.
Chaga is anti-parasitic. I don't know if kills parasites or just acts as a preventative. but it would be nice if it had one of those benefits in the game when drinking chaga tea. As well as heat bonus.
Chaga tea is prepared by simmering harvested chaga chunks (the chaga chunks can also be grounded into powder but there is no grinder in the game).
Chaga has other medicinal benefits like preventing damage and mutations of your DNA. Though my sister claims that is repairs DNA. The tea is black like coffee when it's done, its full of minerals and anti-oxidants - it actually has more anti-oxidants than blueberries. I think it would be great for the thermos.
They already did add birch bark tea in the game and that's cool. BTW you can add birch bark tea in to chaga tea. Infact, often the chaga has birch bark on it when harvested and it's get brewed together. Needless to say I think chaga should a health bonus like the birch bark tea has or a healing effect.
It is somewhat hydrating, more than coffee. But it has never made me feel full despite it being full of nutrition - i'll feel just as hungry as before I drank it. Technically one cup has an average of 30-35 calories. So maybe it should add 35 calories to the player. and slightly more hydration than coffee.

Here is a link that describes chaga in more detail and it's incredibly long list of health benefits.
How to Make Chaga Mushroom Tea, Benefits and Other Uses | TWR (thewellnessroute.com)

I like the reishi and meat stew idea. Rabbit reishi stew, venison reishi stew, moose reishi stew. Bowls already exist in the the game in some cabins, but I think it should use the thermos and show up in the food slot as a thermos. When I travel on bike, I usually keep stew or noodles in the thermos and it keeps it hot for a long time and doesn't spill. So it's more practical that way and thus makes more sense in the game that way, IMO. We put chaga in our meat recipes, we sometimes add it to spaghetti sauce, I have added it to oatmeal. Not that spaghetti and oatmeal should exist in the game - it's just something that we have done.

I think hot chocolate and hot cider would be great additions to the game as great 'warming up' drinks with no other player health benefits other than to stay warm for a bit longer plus a few calories and some hydration - that way you can save those reishi mushrooms for your food poisoning instead of using it up just to warm up.
If official mod support was added to the long dark, I would definitely support the creation of mods that have: chaga, hot chocolate, hot cider, meat+reishi stews and thermos.

Edited by XAlaskan_420X
Typos
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2021 at 4:12 AM, oplli said:

#1, 1x reishi + 2x raw wolf meat or 2x bear meat = 2x Prepared reishi and meat stew. We all know that you can get parasites while eating predator meat even if its cooked. so this recipie prevent the parasites.

#2, 2x cat tail stalk + 1 reishi + 8 rose hips = Vegetarian salad. 500 cals, easy to make on the go requires no cooking and has a better food yield than every ingredients separated.

Thats a great idea! 

Being able to consume nutriens other than meat would be a great addition.  And given the sitation will or astid could perform this with ease since there is everything they need, water, fire, meat, mushrooms, rose hips, cattail stalk.. I assume they would die for such a stew as eating 100 day s for meat all day long would drive them insane!

1kg of meat stew is around 1900 calories:

https://www.nutritionix.com/food/beef-stew-meat

I say it would worth the effort. 

Edited by Mentatt76

• 4 weeks later...

I have thought of this too! I like the thought of being able to mix tomato soup with meat and eat the two one after the other to pretend I'm eating something different than just plain meat. the ability to combine some food to create new dishes would be nice.

Requests for cooking to be expanded, especially after new cooking was introduced, to have recipes have been around a long time.  

Would still be nice to have. Even simple recipes to start, like making a stew from water and venison (or any meat or even fish) would be nice.  Although it might have some unbalancing effects, the provision of actual hot food like a hot stew would be interesting since, excepting things like tomato soup and pork and beans, hot food as such is not readily available in the game. 

Just that the impediment would be the back-room work the devs would have to do before anything could be implemented.