How sharp is your hatchet?

Niskavuori

Howdy,

Just out of curiosity in what condition you keep your hatchet and hunting knife?

And to share my own preferences. It seems that I try keep my hatchet aroud 65%. Give or take 4%. This way I don't tear my clothes, nor hurt myself to bleed, atleast not as often, when fighting a wolf. I always use hatchet in wolf fights, if awailable. I do even "dull" found hatchets by making some firewood to my desired contition.

Hunting knife's sharpness I tend to max to 100%. It's used only to carcass harvesting.

22 minutes ago, Niskavuori said:

This way I don't tear my clothes, nor hurt myself to bleed, atleast not as often, when fighting a wolf. 

Thought the outcome of wolf struggles was completely random, except your own clicking and choice of weapon. Have you done some tests on this? 

Personally I keep both hatchet and knife at around 80%, for some reason. Rarely away from a whetstone long enough for my tools to go under 50%, so I would rather "store" that condition in the whetstone than in one single hatchet/knife, if that makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

I keep the hatchet near 100%, as that is what I'm fighting wolves with. (I read both that it does and that it does not matter, so not sure, but keeping it high, just in case).
Knife, especially if only used for carcass harvesting makes less sense to be kept in top shape I think.
I also use it so, and let it degrade to around 25-30%, when I switch to a better one. Once I have multiple ones with low condition I could go to the Milling Station in Bleak Inlet, where I can sharpen them for a very low cost (provided I clear out the timberwolves first).
I also use other hatchets for chopping wood, and treat them similarly as the knives (I do not carry them around all the time, but keep in a base).
Only keep one hatchet in top condition, as the whetstones are quite limited.

I've never heard sharpness of the fighting weapon would affect you tearing your clothes/cutting yourself. Do you think that to be the case...?

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ruined Cat Tail Stalk said:

Thought the outcome of wolf struggles was completely random, except your own clicking and choice of weapon. Have you done some tests on this? 

Personally I keep both hatchet and knife at around 80%, for some reason. Rarely away from a whetstone long enough for my tools to go under 50%, so I would rather "store" that condition in the whetstone than in one single hatchet/knife, if that makes sense. 

First of all, You have one of the best usernames, Ruined cat Tail Stalk. Like ever!

I've not tested myself. But some one made testing and posted results here. I read it, ages ago, and can't find the topic anymore. But results were good enough to convince me. There was somekind of sweet spot for a hatchet around 60% - less bleedings and torn clothes, with wounded enough wolves. So, I think the outcomes of struggles are not completely randomized.

I see your point with whetstones. I've one with me only when traveling to a new area, others are kept on working stations.

Edited by Niskavuori
Greetings added

49 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

I keep the hatchet near 100%, as that is what I'm fighting wolves with. (I read both that it does and that it does not matter, so not sure, but keeping it high, just in case).
Knife, especially if only used for carcass harvesting makes less sense to be kept in top shape I think.
I also use it so, and let it degrade to around 25-30%, when I switch to a better one. Once I have multiple ones with low condition I could go to the Milling Station in Bleak Inlet, where I can sharpen them for a very low cost (provided I clear out the timberwolves first).
I also use other hatchets for chopping wood, and treat them similarly as the knives (I do not carry them around all the time, but keep in a base).
Only keep one hatchet in top condition, as the whetstones are quite limited.

I've never heard sharpness of the fighting weapon would affect you tearing your clothes/cutting yourself. Do you think that to be the case...?

About tearing your clothes/cutting yourself, see my answer to Ruined Cat Tail Stalk.
I'll try to find the posting of the matter..

I complitely forgot Bleak Inlets Milling station. I usually die before I reach it somewhere around Bleak Inlet. I think I'll steal your strategy from now on, knives used until 20% and change a new one.

I try to keep both my hatchet and knife above 80%. I use my hatchet mostly for wood. I use the knife for harvesting as well most wolf struggle. Tried using the pistol for struggles after getting to level 4 handguns but found I lose as many struggles as I win. With the knife I have never lost and the wolf always dies.

Admittedly right now my hatchet is at 48% because I've been traversing the muskeg chopping the shit out of wood along the way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, metlman72 said:

I try to keep both my hatchet and knife above 80%. I use my hatchet mostly for wood. I use the knife for harvesting as well most wolf struggle. Tried using the pistol for struggles after getting to level 4 handguns but found I lose as many struggles as I win. With the knife I have never lost and the wolf always dies.

Admittedly right now my hatchet is at 48% because I've been traversing the muskeg chopping the shit out of wood along the way.

I hardly never use hatchet to chop wood, as I told, only to dull "too sharp" ones. Just picking sticks on my way and leaving extra sticks to campsites.

Don't you end up having torn clothes way too often to your taste, when stabbing wolves with knife?

5 minutes ago, Niskavuori said:

I hardly never use hatchet to chop wood, as I told, only to dull "too sharp" ones. Just picking sticks on my way and leaving extra sticks to campsites.

Don't you end up having torn clothes way too often to your taste, when stabbing wolves with knife?

It depends, sometimes they are ripped and sometimes no damage at all. 

Admittedly I am fairly new to the game and dont know how all the different weapons affect the wolf struggle outcome.

I just use the knife because it's one less wolf to deal with after. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, metlman72 said:

It depends, sometimes they are ripped and sometimes no damage at all. 

Admittedly I am fairly new to the game and dont know how all the different weapons affect the wolf struggle outcome.

I just use the knife because it's one less wolf to deal with after. 

One less wolf! That could be a our battle cry.

BTW, I was just reading your thread  -  Stalker WOW. And was planing to comment about better clothing. (READ: Furs!) And then there was a pic in Wolf jacket and bunny hat. Seems that you are doing fine.
I'm really glad this game finds new players after so many years. And that they find this Forum.

Just now, Niskavuori said:

One less wolf! That could be a our battle cry.

BTW, I was just reading your thread  -  Stalker WOW. And was planing to comment about better clothing. (READ: Furs!) And then there was a pic in Wolf jacket and bunny hat. Seems that you are doing fine.
I'm really glad this game finds new players after so many years. And that they find this Forum.

Thank you for the kind words. I actually just got the achievement for wrapped in furs last night. It amazes me how this game can calm me and be so peaceful and within a second have me on the edge of my seat. I think the permadeath is one of the greatest things ever added to games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Niskavuori said:

First of all, You have one of the best usernames, Ruined cat Tail Stalk. Like ever!

I've not tested myself. But some one made testing and posted results here. I read it, ages ago, and can't find the topic anymore. But results were good enough to convince me. There was somekind of sweet spot for a hatchet around 60% - less bleedings and torn clothes, with wounded enough wolves. So, I think the outcomes of struggles are not completely randomized.

I see your point with whetstones. I've one with me only when traveling to a new area, others are kept on working stations.

Thanks 🙂 Now I just need a profile picture, however those cat tails just never seem to degrade... 

I will try out the 60% strategy. Fascinating how many mechanics are hidden in the game, I am just too lazy to test stuff like this out myself though...

Havent been able to stick to a save long enough to necessitate a trip to the milling machine, currently at 70 something days. Switched from pc to the switch version when it came out, and not yet comfortable pitting my questionable joystick aim against the inhabitants of the inlet...

• Upvote 1

I tend to not sharpen tools basically ever, but if I do, I sharpen them up to 90% of condition or so. Since in the past, one could not repair tools, and because makeshift tools are pretty crappy and heavier, I have learned not to use tools unless I absolutely have to. I would only really use them for carcass harvesting - hatchet when the meat is frozen, knife when its fresh. Sometimes I would use a hacksaw instead of hatchet because it is really easy to repair hacksaw. When harvesting rabbits, I usually just use hands - because I would often eat rabbits while Im on my travels, that means by the campfire, so I would put up two cans of water to boil to replenish my water, and that gives me roughly 30 mins of things to do - that is usually enough to harvest enough rabbit meat by hands while waiting for the water to boil up. Then I replace the cans with the meat, and continue to get more meat this way. And repeat till all the meat is harvested. I often take a skin or two by hands as well when the last set of meat is cooking just to not waste time waiting. I never actually "wait" for something to cook. 

Think this sort of behavior is kinda moot by now since the tools can now be repaired via Milling. I have not gotten to a point where I would need to do that, but once I get used to the idea, I will probably start using tools till they break, then just bring them to a milling station and spend some time there, repairing them.

Same with guns. I will conserve the cleaning kits to become a useful tool for repairing the guns while on travels. Same for whetstones for tools. For general use, I will take advantage of the milling machine to make repairs.

Edited by Mroz4k

4 hours ago, Niskavuori said:

About tearing your clothes/cutting yourself, see my answer to Ruined Cat Tail Stalk.
I'll try to find the posting of the matter..

I complitely forgot Bleak Inlets Milling station. I usually die before I reach it somewhere around Bleak Inlet. I think I'll steal your strategy from now on, knives used until 20% and change a new one.

wait wait

is there a risk to self cut/rip during wolf struggles? wtf

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

wait wait

No. There is nothing to indicate that. But there is also nothing that would point to it not being true - but seeing as I tend to have high quality tools on me all the time and have not noticed any marginal difference, I can say for my experience that this is not true. But, if others believe it to be true, I cant offer any factual information to prove it isnt true.

The factors that definitely have an impact on animal struggles is condition of player´s fatique, and whether or not the animal was hurt when it attacked, like a wolf that got shot by an arrow as soon as it entered the struggle. How likely one is to receive afflictions like bleeding depends on the choice of weapon and on the defense, provided by clothing, but not on the conditions of either of those items. At least there is nothing that would indicate so.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

wait wait

I think so;
At least that is the way I been playing ever since I got that idea.

So sorry, I can't find the conversation from where I learned it, maybe 2-3 yeas ago. That player made some serious testing and statistics with every 5% intervals of sharpness; Did the wolf die or got injured, clothing contition, how many wounds you got in a fight and so on. The conclusion was that sharp weapons cause more bleesings than wolf, if your clothings armor rate is good enough.

• Like 1

I always choose hatchet for the struggle. I keep it between 70% to 90% durability, and i always use wolfskin and deerskin clothings as outer layers for torso and legs.

Mysteriously, the damn wolves seems always bite my face, since most of damage goes on rabbit hat and the ear wrap thing.

Anyways, in the end is one less wolf to deal with ^^

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

I always choose hatchet for the struggle. I keep it between 70% to 90% durability, and i always use wolfskin and deerskin clothings as outer layers for torso and legs.

Mysteriously, the damn wolves seems always bite my face, since most of damage goes on rabbit hat and the ear wrap thing.

Anyways, in the end is one less wolf to deal with ^^

Same kind feelings here, they eat ear wraps for breakfast and bunny hats for dinner... Until you get a Moose hide satchel and plase it out most.

Edited by Niskavuori
Spelling

On 2/22/2021 at 10:58 AM, Mroz4k said:

I have not gotten to a point where I would need to do that, but once I get used to the idea, I will probably start using tools till they break, then just bring them to a milling station and spend some time there, repairing them.

Just a heads up, I don’t think the milling station can repair ruined tools, just ruined firearms. I only tried with a hatchet, but for me it didn’t work. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I wanted to save you the possible frustration of shooting your way into the cannery only to find out your ruined hatchets are unrepairable. 

Edited by The Ravages of Time
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Ravages of Time said:

Just a heads up, I don’t think the milling station can repair ruined tools, just ruined firearms. I only tried with a hatchet, but for me it didn’t work. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I wanted to save you the possible frustration of shooting your way into the cannery only to find out your ruined hatchets are unrepairable. 

True. I would not go all the way to ruining them, just pretty much. But you are right, ruined tools cannot be repaired according to wiki.

• Upvote 1

I am establishing a base in BI to make sure I have easy access to go and fix my tools. Since I have a few hatchets and knives, I plan to use them until maybe 25% and then grab them all and go repair at the milling station.

Whetstone I decided to keep for emergencies when I am in far away region or don't feel like traveling to BI to refresh tools. Whetstone can be used up at alarmingly fast pace.

I know you can craft alternatives at the forge, but I don't like my Astrid to look like prehistoric homosapien. And those improvised tools work slower too.

Traveling to BI will also give me something to do every once in a while.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

I know you can craft alternatives at the forge, but I don't like my Astrid to look like prehistoric homosapien. And those improvised tools work slower too.

The fact the survivor being not able to craft some quality tools (not-so-improvised) bothers me a lot.

If a commercial pilot / a doctor has the skills to produce fine leatherworking pieces without training, why not be able to do the same with metals, spending maybe 10 times the amount of resources and time to produce a really good knife, for example? I mean, in late game, when there is no need for improvising anything.

• Upvote 1

I keep both between 70-90% which is completely arbitrary. I keep a hacksaw on interloper for the purpose of taking birch and maple. I drop my hatchet and use the saw. Saves the hatchet condition. I always harvest with my hands too, weather and time permitting. You don't even really need the knife after a while except maybe to cut up a pillow or old bedroll for cloth.

Edited by stirfoo