A Second Suit

darkscaryforest

If you're attacked and your clothing gets ruined, having a second set made up and nearby can save you from freezing.  The likelihood of your clothing getting ruined depends on RNG which varies with the settings used in whatever experience mode you're playing in.  Keeping the hides in "hide form" rather than sewing them up into the second set of clothing causes the hides to stay in 100% condition.  It just means that you'll have to go without clothing until you sew up a new set on an "as needed" basis. 

Also, be aware that you can usually get 1 of your hides back when harvesting hide items (the exception being the moosehide satchel which returns cured leather when harvested).  So, the amount of hides you need to recraft a hide item when you have a old item to harvest is one less than you would need if you're not harvesting the old one.  As a result, a lot of people will harvest an old moose hide cloak and make a new one rather than repair it.  It takes 1 moose hide to start with and you get that moose hide back when you harvest it.

If there was an excess number of cured animal-hides and guts in a base location and, of course, a work bench, I may make a second set of deer skin and rabbit skin clothing items, but otherwise no.  Sometimes, if there were not a good selection of clothing at an outlying base, I might craft a set or most of a set to put there in the "just in case" category to fill in any gaps. 

I am inclined to always try to have sufficient materials for at least one mend for each animal-hide clothing item on hand. 

Being a Pilgrim player, I have not had any significant problems with animal-hide clothing deterioration but I like to have options.

Never a need for a second suit. It’s far more efficient (as experienced players know) to keep repair materials around rather than create full backup clothing. 
  I may keep a backup toque or combat pants (I typically go 2 combat pants vs combat and deerskin exterior) but to say, make another moose skin coat- absolutely not ever needed and a huge waste of precious interloper resources. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

I just repair and hoard hides and cured guts all over the island. Now something I will do is repair and store the really good found clothing in the game as a back up. I mostly do this for gloves and headwear, as those get destroyed more in animal struggles. So I'll keep ski gloves, wool torques, gauntlets, trail boots, ect

This way if I do loose something to a bear, I've got a quick backup while I'm crafting a new garment.

• Upvote 1

For the ready-made clothing, I only ever harvest what I must in order to obtain 1) cloth needed to make repairs and 2) needed to reduce weight if I'm planning to transport "cloth" to a better location for access later.  That way, I will usually have some sort of man-made replacement item to put on if my clothing gets ruined in an attack.

Perhaps I was unclear about the moosehide cloak statement - It depends on how close it is to being ruined it has become.  Repairing it may not bring it back to 100% condition, so sometimes you're better off harvesting it, getting the hide back and remaking the cloak (which will be at 100% condition).  I think most players don't bother making the moose hide cloak at all.  The wolfskin one is much easier to maintain, is lighter, and provides a better warmth bonus.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Yes it does but there is very little impact on preserving clothes this way. The biggest impact is wind and weather outside, not inside. So if you want to go naked to preserve clothes, the time to do it is at a fire when outside in wind or bad weather. Of course on easy levels this is not an issue but on interloper you need a pretty warm fire to keep warm enough. But this would make a measurable impact in preserving clothes. 

• Like 1