TSD - The Sitting Dead

piddy3825

Another “poor soul” for the scrapbook.A98ABA66-0B59-40D1-AC69-D7E7FCB03BF0.thumb.jpeg.a1b3b14a8383c695d6cfada91fc9dcd8.jpegHe was found on the Crumbling Bridge in Blackrock. He appeared to be reasonably well-dressed for the weather, however, seeing my temperature bar, he was not dressed enough. I pronounce the cause of death as probable hypothermia. 
This guy probably was a refugee from that bus that crashed in the top left of the frame. He crawled out and sat here to ponder his options, while playing with his flashlight. He probably just gave up and surrendered himself to the long dark.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome to Ash Canyon,

the one place where you can always find a book of matches when you encounter the Sitting Dead...

screen_34e80172-b75f-4eb8-b8e1-3c4e25ed2b41_hi.thumb.png.60135fc87da698a9d1ba366260b0eca0.png

Another nice little box of wooden matches conveniently laying near the corpse of this poor unfortunate chap.  
Alone half way up the mountainside, a mere rope climb from the entry way into the gold mine or a quick rappel to the canyon floor.  Either place would have probably given this fellow a better chance for survival rather than just sitting down to die.  

I took his matches and turned out his pockets which yielded nothing. 
What a cold and lonely way to fade into the long dark...

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Hushed River Valley

screen_e8f241fb-25eb-4dd5-a7fd-d3cf8fcdf36d_hi.thumb.png.0c57f47276fef1ea6b66ef1596be2fc7.png

Found a new lost soul today as I explored the upper mammoth falls area of Hushed River Valley.
Looks like our friend fell asleep in front of his fire and as it went out, he never awoke from his deep sleep.

He might have had a better chance if he would have only utililized the cave he was sitting outside of and made his fire deep in the rear of the natural shelter he seems to have been guarding.  Upon closer examination of the interior, there was additional firewood inside as well a can of Summit soda.  I of course recovered the two nearly perfect arrows and a decent bow, which ought to come in handy in this unhospitable area on Great Bear Island.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Hushed River Valley

screen_e8f241fb-25eb-4dd5-a7fd-d3cf8fcdf36d_hi.thumb.png.0c57f47276fef1ea6b66ef1596be2fc7.png

Found a new lost soul today as I explored the upper mammoth falls area of Hushed River Valley.
Looks like our friend fell asleep in front of his fire and as it went out, he never awoke from his deep sleep.

He might have had a better chance if he would have only utililized the cave he was sitting outside of and made his fire deep in the rear of the natural shelter he seems to have been guarding.  Upon closer examination of the interior, there was additional firewood inside as well a can of Summit soda.  I of course recovered the two nearly perfect arrows and a decent bow, which ought to come in handy in this unhospitable area on Great Bear Island.

I know this cave - I call it "Archer Cave". I don't think lighting the fire in the cave would have helped too much, he'd probably die of carbon monoxide poisoning...

1 hour ago, Glflegolas said:

I know this cave - I call it "Archer Cave". I don't think lighting the fire in the cave would have helped too much, he'd probably die of carbon monoxide poisoning...

lol, well he would have died either way then.  Good to know that maybe I shouldn't be sleeping in that cave then either!

• 2 weeks later...

Treading my way lightly thru the muskeg with the wolf pack nipping at my heels, I found this frozen hunter.
His rifle at his side was in terrible state of condition, practically worthless but his pockets held 3 pristine rounds of ammo which I gladly took from him, as well as a nicely cooked moose steak.  I examined the scene trying to determine what happened and my best guess is that he broke thru the ice and was drenched in the freezing cold waters.
He clearly made his way to this little isle where he was successfully able to get a much needed fire started.  I suspect he might have survived but the the muskeg is an inhospitable place and most likely the weather changed for the worse and the high winds musta have blown his fire out subsequently freezing him to death.   RIP Hunter...

screen_b19b02c5-2acd-4a5c-8942-e7793b07a7bf_hi.thumb.png.c126e1d4404b264a00b68dbdf58f20ba.png

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

It got a little dark on the Island today after I was journeying across Costal Highway in the aftermath of the recent big event.  Apparently the changes were a bit too much for this survivor so either in a fit of rage, anger or frustration this unfortunate player choose to fade into the long dark...

screen_ac52e3e0-77e4-4686-b77d-7b9ca8a3757b_hi.thumb.png.2afa1e6e3a734820c4e3a4d85cfae5e1.png

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
52 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

This threads gone quiet since the update....are there no corpses in forsaken airfield?

I guess there are a lot less than on there are in lower territories.  
On the other hand, I haven't been playing in the new region since the update broke in December.  If you have any screenshots of sitting dead that you might wish to contribute and tell their stories, I'd encourage you to do so!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

As soon as I'm well enough to tackle and use my pc then I might do so.🙂.  

I would've thought though that the update would've moved some of the older sitting dead in the regular regions..

Yes, indeed it did.  At least for some of the dead, but certainly not for all of them.  On a side note, there is also a new mod out, called Bury the Dead, which actually removes corpses from the game when you right click on your mouse.  As cool as it is, there is no animation other than the radial timer wheel and time does go by as if you'd spent hours in digging their graves, but the corpses do then disappear never to be seen again.  Comes in handy to clear those few occasional corpses outta trailers and buildings that you might wanna overnight in!  

On a side note, I hope you getter feeling well soon so you can tackle playing on your PC! 
Best wishes to your speedy recovery!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, xanna said:

In my universe, he's named Morgan. There's also Mortimer, Jack (Frost) and Marvin (Marbh is Irish for dead).

Very apt!👍🙂   I call them all Bob So many identical corpses. Makes me wonder.if they have a cloning facility in perseverance mills😁

On 10/27/2020 at 4:18 AM, Lohaan said:

This guy left a note on his laptop. It reads: " “Happiness is only real, when shared". There were no other clues to indicate how he ended up here or why.  

Thats one of the final quotes from Chris Mcandless's journal. He hitchiked accross America and starved to death alone inside an abandoned bus in Alaska. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

Thats one of the final quotes from Chris Mcandless's journal. He hitchiked accross America and starved to death alone inside an abandoned bus in Alaska. 

Great movie.  Didn't he eat some poisonous berries, which contributed to his declining condition?

On 3/24/2023 at 1:14 PM, hozz1235 said:

Great movie.  Didn't he eat some poisonous berries, which contributed to his declining condition?

He ate a legume that prevented his body from absorbing nutrients. Theres a lot of debate on what exactly he ate and why it killed him but my favorite theory is that the specific plant he ate WAS edible yes, but in his already malnourished state it was toxic. Some foods we consider safe can be dangerous to people who already have imbalanced electrolytes and malnutrition.