TSD - The Sitting Dead

piddy3825

I found them by the Pensive Pond.

The road to here was thick with wolves, wolves that I handled lightly as I was well equip with arrows and the knowledge surviving endless days brings. This poor soul was not as lucky. They had nothing on them, save the frozen cloths on their back and a serene view. I'd like to think that when either wound or exhaustion brought them down, they had chosen to rest here. Maybe they used to come fishing here with someone they loved. A father maybe? Or maybe they brought their children here. Either way, I hope the memories they had here from before the snow warmed them... even if for just a moment.

TSD-lake.thumb.png.19ff3af6ffb9d6f0f57bcc1b74fdb04a.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

following the caw caw caw 
of a murder of crows flying about in the distance
I found this unfortunate soul.

screen_4d37c599-d7b4-4c5f-86fe-dc02e6e7d332_hi.thumb.png.98efa981c2086bdffd551d38d1f660e8.png

His backpack yielded a worn hoodie
and when I turned out his pockets
I found an old faded polaroid photo...

If only he would have stumbled to the tree
adjacent to his final resting place, he may 
or probably would have been saved.

screen_bdd17e5c-ac59-44fc-8d3c-b2539bd5e1bd_hi.thumb.png.b926bf8e8ff2548572aee41c7edcf893.png

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

It's always a bummer to find a dead guy
in the house when you're planning on bunking
down there for the night...

screen_14514814-ae63-46eb-b8a3-e571e215c340_hi.thumb.png.84c32420d386869139a18fbe2f997241.png

dude manages to haul himself all the way up the stairs,
past a kitchen full of food and water, a bathroom with
medical supplies only to miss sitting down on the couch
in his final moments. He must have been bleeding fairly 
profusely considering his blood soaked bandage...

• Upvote 3

Working my way thru the cave transition between BI and FM
I spy a glimmer of light ahead in the dark tunnels of the cave.

screen_9f35a0dd-0120-4e53-bf04-361b6407dcb6_hi.thumb.png.d165aba5a460e9028804395940b0d1b6.png

I see the smallest shaft of light emanating from a narrow hole in the rock ceiling
above my head.  The air is bitter cold and small snow flakes are slowly falling through
the hole from above.    As my eyes follow the snowflakes spiraling down to the cavern
floor the flickering flame of my torch reveals this chaps final resting place.

screen_bbea1e50-b762-487e-ab0f-0100400f06d8_hi.thumb.png.96fc946105173a7adbe0f8c17d8fd55a.png

His death was probably slow and agonizingly painful.  Impaled and eviscerated after 
falling and landing on a sharp cluster of stalagmites, this poor guy died  broken
and bleeding and utterly alone

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ash Canyon
Mining Camp

Found this corpse sitting in a little outdoor shack 
right across from a workbench with nary a mark on him.
His pockets were empty as was the space around him
and he was within 50 meters of an intact cabin with fuel
food and clothing.  

My best guess is he got caught in an unexpected white out became disoriented
and finally was able to avail himself of shelter but only after having been
exposed to the elements for too long.  He probably took a seat to rest up but
ended up falling asleep and subsequently freezing to death.

screen_d9be15cf-747b-4c1c-a7f3-0e72b4f00c33_hi.thumb.png.2cec58d320564b866d7bde0b03466788.png

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

only sitting corpses please, hence the name of the thread...  The Sitting Dead...  

Oh, I'm sorry, I'd forgotten. I'll delete the other one and find a sitting corpse. 

I guess that I was too busy searching and coming up with an explanation for the death that I'd forgotten that.

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I'd forgotten. I'll delete the other one and find a sitting corpse. 

I guess that I was too busy searching and coming up with an explanation for the death that I'd forgotten that.

no worries mate!  I was thinking there could be more than one thread that deals with the multitude of dead littering GBI.  You've got those that died in a sitting fashion, but then you have all those poor souls that died face down in the snow and those that have died face up in the snow! 
at least those that died face down in the snow still have their eyes intact...  you know, crows and all...

• Like 1

@piddy3825 It would be good to have more than one thread, though the name 'The Laying Dead' doesn't have the same ring to it as this thread's name. I'd better start screenshotting the corpses prematurely as to get a good story out of the death scenes.

I never looked too closely at the face-up corpses and I'm glad I didn't, haha. Seeing an eyeless dead body would not be the most beautiful thing in TLD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

@piddy3825 It would be good to have more than one thread, though the name 'The Laying Dead' doesn't have the same ring to it as this thread's name. I'd better start screenshotting the corpses prematurely as to get a good story out of the death scenes.

I never looked too closely at the face-up corpses and I'm glad I didn't, haha. Seeing an eyeless dead body would not be the most beautiful thing in TLD

oh, you made me laugh!  "Laying the Dead" does sound kinda twisted...
btw, now all the upward facing corpses have snow covering their face.  wasn't always like that, but no, they never had their eyes pecked out either. 
 just me being overly graphic

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Who are you? what were you looking for here? When you went up to the top to look around, but all you saw was your own death. You're definitely an uninvited guest in this godforsaken place. Try it the next time at least do not hide in the corner and stand on his feet to meet his fate.

screen_6847ba66-eab7-4d40-b9db-8614fe5ba334_hi.thumb.png.b1f1a93a2ed1fedf7220e53bd7d26b08.png

Edited by k0s0ff
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I'm finally back in DP, a familiar place and of course
find a familiar corpse.  He must have been scared
and obviously trying to get as far removed from something as 
possible. Wolves may have followed him, harassing him relentlessly
and he eventually took refuge on this ledge.  Probably the only
place he felt safe at the time.  

screen_29760586-cabf-4b71-a4f6-f1c267f8415c_hi.thumb.png.099f0d3d90beb3343a1acb9f120ae8a1.png

The intense cold must have finally gotten to him, for when I turned
out his pockets and his backpack I was rewarded with food, 
clothing and a brand new unused torch.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this dude in a cave near Upper Falls in Pleasant Valley. (The fire was re-lit by me, as I was rather chilly)

In the back of the cave, there was a bottle of water, and a broken arrow. The fellow had shoes on him. There was nothing in the plastic container.

To me it looks like this fellow was living in this ave for a while, likely stunning rabbits with stones, and maybe trying to shoot the bear nearby with an arrow. It appears his luck ran out when he lost his bow making his arrow useless, and was forced to rely on the few supplies he stockpiled in the plastic container. Soon thereafter, caught outside in the freezing cold, and returned inside, trying to re-start his campfire. Unfortunately for him, he failed to start his fire using his last match, and subsequently froze to death.

screen_e3ac7c80-7f7b-45e0-a166-7859565b14da_hi.thumb.png.b0a4411d38720aafaf69f3fe2fb8713e.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Glflegolas said:

Came across this dude in a cave near Upper Falls in Pleasant Valley. (The fire was re-lit by me, as I was rather chilly)

In the back of the cave, there was a bottle of water, and a broken arrow. The fellow had shoes on him. There was nothing in the plastic container.

To me it looks like this fellow was living in this ave for a while, likely stunning rabbits with stones, and maybe trying to shoot the bear nearby with an arrow. It appears his luck ran out when he lost his bow making his arrow useless, and was forced to rely on the few supplies he stockpiled in the plastic container. Soon thereafter, caught outside in the freezing cold, and returned inside, trying to re-start his campfire. Unfortunately for him, he failed to start his fire using his last match, and subsequently froze to death.

Nice!  He does look pretty frozen that's for sure.  Got that nice layer of crusty snow all about him too.  
I hear freezing to death is relatively painless...  or so they say, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Having recently returned to HRV to obtain a new moose satchel, I decided to stay for a while and 
see what else I might find.

I found this poor guy alone, frozen stiffly into place
with firewood and a can of lighter fluid nearby.
Seems he was missing a match...

screen_1a7c2bae-30b9-49bf-808e-4e5d0fe00ee8_hi.thumb.png.2b501b13ce9551001a36b3629c0654db.png

I relieved him of his treasure and proceeded on my way.
RIP stranger.

• Upvote 2

HRV claims another life...

the light of my lantern illuminates yet another victim
of the harsh brutal conditions that dominate the environs
of Hushed River Valley.  

I find a treasure of items in close proximity to the body
which shows no signs of foul play, injury or assault.
I collect matches, gloves, candy and big bottle of Canada's finest maple syrup.
As I look about, I see firewood and the odd lump of coal scattered about 
and a burned out firepit.  Scavenging his backpack yields two rifle cartridges 
and a tin of sardines.

Before retreating, I liberate the corpse of all its bounty
but not before giving thanks to the spirits that rule this 
realm for sparing my life for another day...

screen_d3866933-f59a-4e60-aa52-49d9d67bc5a0_hi.thumb.png.cc9eb6195c9563b9e69f9815bdec19a4.png

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

I hope you find my favourite two corpses (they are in HRV). They have clearly a story to tell :)

Well, I may yet come across them.  However if I dont and you have the opportunity to tell their story here, I would encourage you to snap their screenshot and tell their story here.  (dont forget, only doing this for sitting corpses...)

6 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Well, I may yet come across them.  However if I dont and you have the opportunity to tell their story here, I would encourage you to snap their screenshot and tell their story here.  (dont forget, only doing this for sitting corpses...)

oh well i'm not sure anymore. One is lying and the other one right next to him.... i don't know anymore :(

1 hour ago, Karl Grylls said:

oh well i'm not sure anymore. One is lying and the other one right next to him.... i don't know anymore :(

I'm sure I know which corpses you are referring to... Looks like the gun fight vs. the knife fight in the ice cave, right?

If those are the corpses you are referring to, yeah they aren't sitting...  

but there's plenty of sitting dead in this game.  I'm heading over to Ash Canyon soon to see who is sitting dead over there.

6 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I'm sure I know which corpses you are referring to... Looks like the gun fight vs. the knife fight in the ice cave, right?

If those are the corpses you are referring to, yeah they aren't sitting...  

but there's plenty of sitting dead in this game.  I'm heading over to Ash Canyon soon to see who is sitting dead over there.

yes these are exactly the corpses i meant. I explored HRV when it came out and when i stumbled upon them, well, i enjoyed that the devs gave us something to put our own creative minds on. What might have happened there and why?

3 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

yes these are exactly the corpses i meant. I explored HRV when it came out and when i stumbled upon them, well, i enjoyed that the devs gave us something to put our own creative minds on. What might have happened there and why?

Yeah, I was surprised the first time I stumbled upon that duo myself.  Obviously was no clear winner in that little altercation but I'd like to know who threw the first punch, right?  

allrighty then, here's to finding more of those bastards who sit down to die!

HRV continues to yield more sitting corpses

As I methodically made my way around HRV moving from one cave to
another, I once again found a poor soul who apparently died of 
exposure due to a lack of matches or firestriker.

His campfire is still ready for that single spark necessary 
to light the fire that would have brought warmth, light 
and continued sustenance to his now lifeless body.

Looks like dinner was going to be a heated up tin of sardines
and maybe a nice cup of warm water , as his back pack yielded a
a dented tin can and nothing else.  In searching his body, I recovered
a single rifle round and piece of tinder.  

I ended staying there for the night, utilizing his fire, eating his sardines 
and taking his hatchet...

screen_5359528b-8248-43bd-845c-3ec9af84f4d6_hi.thumb.png.48e5e2edab4e962a0751bd3de294e804.png

• Upvote 2