Pleasant Valley Farmstead: Something is Wrong

Alexander216

I play the long dark most nights, with my headphones on (for immersion) and my lights off. My friend also plays the game, and he mentioned to me that, while set up in the Farmstead, he began to hear strange noises (always coming from upstairs when he was downstairs). I decided to check it out, and set the difficulty to exactly what his was (stalker). We also both had a Muskeg spawn. After a few hours setting up, I heard nothing or seen nothing despite spending 6 in-game nights in the house. But then, it started. There’s someone or something in that house. I believe, in the games universe, there is an unmentioned horrific backstory to this house. I won’t spoil the happenings, but you guys should check it out. Pretty sure this was added alongside the Winters Embrace update, because PV farm has always been one of my go-to locations. Safe to say It is no more.

• Upvote 3

I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, and like all good ghost stories most people said it was just the wind!  Not heard anything myself there (yet...). Funnily enough I'm just there now in my WE run, I'll keep an ear out. was it linked to an aurora or particular time of day?

btw, talking of back stories, have you played the wintermute story mode? PV features heavily in ep 3.

edit: found this old thread: 

Edited by Valuable Hunting Knife
add link

• 1 year later...

After two in-game weeks away from the farmhouse, I returned to see smoke coming from the chimney. I was literally staggered ... Especially when I entered (rifle drawn) to see no fires burning within. After 730 days of isolation, amazing how freaked out I actually felt 😄

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Lomax said:

After 730 days of isolation, amazing how freaked out I actually felt 😄

This is what gives TLD (or a future game like it) so much potential for thriller / horror-type accents.  Anything out of place after playing for so long seems instantly threatening.

I woke up in the Mystery Lake Camp office during the aurora, and for a second I thought I saw, through the upstairs railing, someone quietly moving down in the area with the notebook PC.  I think I swore out loud, but of course it was just my imagination.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

This is what gives TLD (or a future game like it) so much potential for thriller / horror-type accents.  Anything out of place after playing for so long seems instantly threatening.

I woke up in the Mystery Lake Camp office during the aurora, and for a second I thought I saw, through the upstairs railing, someone quietly moving down in the area with the notebook PC.  I think I swore out loud, but of course it was just my imagination.

Haha! Amazing how the mind plays tricks. That would have unsettled me no end. I completely agree with you, would love random ambient sounds like a distant scream or footsteps outside a building you're in. Extremely rare but enough to give you food for thought.

As far as immersive gameplay goes, I think the idea of hearing things should be par for the course.  Consider the isolation of your character, all of a sudden you've been thrust into a situation where you are suddenly completely by yourself.  Even if this "hearing things" is a file corruption issue, I still like the idea that our survivor maybe in his absolute isolation begin to hear things that aren't there.    As to a creepy backstory, the history of the PV farmhouse certainly has it's dark moments.

The upstairs interior at some point underwent a remodel after one of the many updates and now looks like this when you get to the top of the stairs,

screen_902c23d8-0465-40de-8766-5b2c35861c25_hi.thumb.png.d4a7924c13d2faeb1519bd4812552539.png

but it didn't used to look like that.  one point where you see upright lamp standing, there once used to sit a crib.   

I looked thru my old pics to see if I could find one but couldn't.  So I've substituted this one for illustration purposes.

185502783_tld2020-06-0422-17-08.thumb.png.d487aa309abeec9ff172d764f4e4bcfe.png

Talk about a creepy vibe and the basis for a creepy backstory.

Once upon a time, a couple lived there and had hopes of raising a big family.  But as life on the island wasn't hard enough, the mother went into premature labor.
Despite all the efforts of the midwife, the child was delivered stillborn and the mother died soon thereafter due to post labor complications.  The husband overcome with grief blames the midwife for the death of child and wife.  And if a fit of anger strangles her to death.  Consumed by the guilt of murdering the midwife and unable to cope with the loss of his first born and spouse, the husband tragically takes his own life when he turns his revolver on himself.

You can imagine what kinda ghosts and spirits are roaming around up there.  
Specially if you're slowly going insane due to extreme isolation.

I didn't like staying up there back when the crib was there, it just always creeped me out and after playing Episode 3 where you find out Molly has the corpse of her recently deceased husband stashed down in the basement.

That house is probably now full of focused and half formed repeating Class III and Class IV free floating vapors...

Who you gonna call?

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

As far as immersive gameplay goes, I think the idea of hearing things should be par for the course.  Consider the isolation of your character, all of a sudden you've been thrust into a situation where you are suddenly completely by yourself.  Even if this "hearing things" is a file corruption issue, I still like the idea that our survivor maybe in his absolute isolation begin to hear things that aren't there.    As to a creepy backstory, the history of the PV farmhouse certainly has it's dark moments.

The upstairs interior at some point underwent a remodel after one of the many updates and now looks like this when you get to the top of the stairs,

screen_902c23d8-0465-40de-8766-5b2c35861c25_hi.thumb.png.d4a7924c13d2faeb1519bd4812552539.png

but it didn't used to look like that.  one point where you see upright lamp standing, there once used to sit a crib.   

I looked thru my old pics to see if I could find one but couldn't.  So I've substituted this one for illustration purposes.

Once upon a time, a couple lived there and had hopes of raising a big family.  But as life on the island wasn't hard enough, the mother went into premature labor.
Despite all the efforts of the midwife, the child was delivered stillborn and the mother died soon thereafter due to post labor complications.  The husband overcome with grief blames the midwife for the death of child and wife.  And if a fit of anger strangles her to death.  Consumed by the guilt of murdering the midwife and unable to cope with the loss of his first born and spouse, the husband tragically takes his own life when he turns his revolver on himself.

I didn't like staying up there back when the crib was there, it just always creeped me out and after playing Episode 3 where you find out Molly has the corpse of her recently deceased husband stashed down in the basement.

That house is probably now full of focused and half formed repeating Class III and Class IV free floating vapors...

Who you gonna call?

Never mind Ghostbusters, you need an exorcist for that bear!😁

16 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

...there once used to sit a crib.   

as i recall there also were some children's wooden blocks at the top of the stairs.  I remember trying to see if they spelled anything but they weren't moveable.  
yeah, it was definitely creepy and the interior lighting was so much darker you had to use a torch even in the middle of the day. 

Back then, things went "bump" there no matter what time it was!

• Upvote 4

On 11/21/2021 at 2:55 AM, piddy3825 said:

Who you gonna call?

Enjoyed reading the disturbing history of the place, kind of glad they renovated the farmhouse; not keen on waking to a crib rocking in the dead of night 😬

Still, despite the creaking and groaning of the old house, it still feels quite homely ... At least through the day 😱😄

• Like 1