Snow shelter as hunting blind

Alexg

Was reading the comments on a YT vid one of the comments was for moose hunting they use the snow shelter as a hunting blind was wondering if you shoot the moose then dive back in will he still get you if he’s charging?

First, understand that I haven't hunted a moose since this last update dropped... so their behavior may have changed.  It used to be that the most reliable protection was to place a campfire between yourself and the moose.  If the moose charged, it would then turn around and run away from you when it reached the fire.

Other tips:  1) Before starting to hunt, make sure you're at full health and wearing whatever clothing you have that has the highest defense value (warmth is secondary in this case).  2) Use a long-range weapon (rifle or bow) 3) Approach the moose as much as possible from behind cover and, if possible, set yourself up on a tree or ledge where the moose cannot easily path towards you. 4) Take your best shot from a long to mid-range distance.  If the moose cannot see you take the shot, they often run away rather than charge.  If they charge, be ready to take a second shot because the easiest time to get the head shot (and critical hit) is as they are charging towards you.  Duck behind your campfire if you miss (apologies though if this last part no longer works - at least in full health and with good protective clothing, you should survive the stomping).

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Duck behind your campfire if you miss (apologies though if this last part no longer works - at least in full health and with good protective clothing, you should survive the stomping).

That is true - the campfire no longer works, a moose will run right through it to greet you.

I always hunted like the olden days.....Trek through woods, search for quarry, locate safe{ish} ground of opportunity such as a high spot, boulder, or behind multiple trees, wait for the shot, take it, follow up another shot if possible, then start following the blood trail....rinse and repeat as necessary. 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:53 AM, MrWolf said:

That is true - the campfire no longer works, a moose will run right through it to greet you.

Good to know, I've been wondering. So that about does it.. they've made all dangerous animals unafraid of fire. Just the way nature intended?

There is a technique that still allows campfires to scare off wolves, although it's a bit more involved than just lighting a fire. Bears never cared and still don't. Moose now join the bear club. I haven't hunted a moose since the update. Good times ahead.

• 7 months later...

I'd never considered it until Episode 3 came along.  Though in survival, I never use snow shelter because I'd hate to "waste" 2 cloth (since the most you can recover from breaking it down is 3 cloth).  Also, I think using the shelter as a hunting blind would feel like a cheap tactic... so I just choose not to take advantage.

I do like that it's an option though.
I think it is a creative use for it.  :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

This is crazy. I'd also assumed if a predator came across you in a snow shelter they'd still be able to attack you. I would always stoke a long fire outside the shelter to dissuade wolfs while I slept.

...I think I'll keep playing as if they can. I agree with @ManicManiac that this seems cheap and like the Science lab video said at the end, the animals really should be able to get at you.

• Upvote 1

@Gracia_WolfSlayer

Agreed, I don't think the snow-shelter should protect from predator attacks.  I think that being vulnerable in the snow-shelter creates a need for the player to be more careful and consider where & when they would use it.  If this is a recent intended change... then I definitely prefer the older iteration better.  I think predators should definitely be able to get at us while we're inside the snow-shelter.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1