episode three ad on the top of the forums

RegentRelic

I  don't know whether I should put this in the wintermute topic, wish list or this is such a big problem it should go in technical support. The ad on the top of the forums is in one word "horrific", in one sentence "uncreative mess of images." In one quote something "I would expect something like this from a triple A studio that couldn't decide on a format so tried to combine them all or has so much cover art for their various retailers that no one cares. It looks like something I would make having more technical skill than artistic skill, but not hinterland it isn't bad it just isn't good."  - Kevin silver. Kevin here is a part time developer steam, not very impressive but he is a gamer he makes money making games and the best thing I could get with out pulling any favors or turning this into a project. The one word and one fraise is from joe Bingham someone just happened with at Kevin's home and is watching me while I write this.

I will have to agree with Mr. Silver here. When I got on to the wiki and so that lacking art work it immediately stubbed my excitement for the up coming episode. Please change it, just put up some the amazing concept art or that video of Jeremiah dancing. Now a translation for those who speak emoji who I have noticed there are a few of on the forums, 🤬😰🙃💡🤣.

Pleas note do not actually replace it with the video of Jeremiah dancing.

Edited by RegentRelic

Nah, it's fine.

Could perhaps do with a touch more spacing between each individual element, but that's more of a personal preference thing. It seems like they were going for a movie poster feel with it, similar to the big blockbuster films (SW, Avengers, etc.), which is a perfectly acceptable and familiar format to work from.

• Upvote 1

Nothing personal, but I have no clue who Kevin Silver or Joe Bingham are, or why their opinions of the art style of the banner on the front page should be the end-all-critique that I should accept as all-important. And really no clue what you mean about "the wiki", since this is not a Wiki, of any sort. There are 2 fan-made and maintained game Wikis for The Long Dark, and neither of them has the new artwork on them yet. Unless there is a Wiki available in your region, that most of us don't know of?

I like the artwork. And agree with @DarkTreader, that it has the look of a modern movie or subscription "tv" show poster (think NetFlix "Stranger Things" style poster). It shows elements from the upcoming Episode, I would imagine, without giving any spoiler details away. We'll likely recognize the things it shows when we encounter them in the game, and it will make more sense then. It's good "teaser" artwork, IMHO. Makes me want to know who that lady with the bow is, and where that plane is, since it seems to be intact at the front end, unlike the Tail Section at the Summit. Who is that man praying, and why is he praying? Who is that person behind Astrid, holding their arm? We knew there would be Timber wolves from an earlier Dev Diary, and if those wolves are Timber wolves... yeah, I want to not meet them,  I think. They look vicious.

I mean, you are free to not like it, but why you are attempting to "name-drop" using 2 unknown people, who may or may not be who and what you say they are, that I suspect most people will not recognize, the same way I don't recognize either name... seems a bit...silly. Give your opinion. And if Kevin and Joe want to give theirs, they are free to register and create an account here, and post their own.  🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I was exaggerating how dire the situation to show my personal opinion, the reason I was quoting Kevin was mainly to show that I am not the only one who thinks so. I really didn't intend Joe to be involved. I do see the design. What I am articulating to you is that you seem to have missed the humor of my statement, i was simply tryng to humorously state that I do not approve of this art work. As for saying the Wiki that was an accident I have spent more time of the long dark fandom then the hinterland forums so I am just used to saying wiki rather then forums. I do like the teaser trailer it has gotten me really exited for episode three, I'm expecting that it will be truly epic since hinterland is a good studio and has spent so much time on it. There is no saying that they rushed it.

It reminds me of some of the earlier Star Wars poster art. The amount of banner space seems limiting, and I can imagine wanting to show off some of the new characters and region additions featured in the poster, so I think it's pretty solid as-is. Hinterland also seems to change up art from time to time, so maybe there will be more versions to come. 😀

SW4.jpg.7841eba78ea35302f00cec7d81617962.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

I was exaggerating how dire the situation to show my personal opinion, the reason I was quoting Kevin was mainly to show that I am not the only one who thinks so. I really didn't intend Joe to be involved. I do see the design. What I am articulating to you is that you seem to have missed the humor of my statement, i was simply tryng to humorously state that I do not approve of this art work. As for saying the Wiki that was an accident I have spent more time of the long dark fandom then the hinterland forums so I am just used to saying wiki rather then forums. I do like the teaser trailer it has gotten me really exited for episode three, I'm expecting that it will be truly epic since hinterland is a good studio and has spent so much time on it. There is no saying that they rushed it.

Text does not convey "flavor" very well on the Internet, where your "audience" may not find the sames funny, that you do. Yep. i missed the humor. because i read nothing I found humorous. Perhaps next time, put a (j/k) or (joking!) somewhere in there, so people are more likely to see that you are attempting to be funny, instead of pompous. Some of us will still not see the intended humor in it, but at least we'll know that was the intent, and "flavor" you were trying to give your post. And you don;t need to quote random people to show you are not alone.  I am not alone in my opinion either [insert 20 random names no one has ever heard of {-here-}, as proof]. (No joking... totally serious here.)

I like it, you don't. That's fine. We can agree to disagree on that, without trying to self-inflate the importance of our opinions, or those of any unknown random people who may or may not be sitting near us. If my husband or kids want to have their opinions known, they can come here and post them on their own. (Not kidding. They can express their individual opinions far better than i can.)

2 hours ago, devamadhu said:

It reminds me of some of the earlier Star Wars poster art. The amount of banner space seems limiting, and I can imagine wanting to show off some of the new characters and region additions featured in the poster, so I think it's pretty solid as-is. Hinterland also seems to change up art from time to time, so maybe there will be more versions to come. 😀

And the banner is just a slice of the poster art for the New Episode, reworked. I think the full poster is fantastic.

264562929_EpisodeThree-CrossroadsElegy.thumb.png.a136625a3d438e2fbe3b427147801d15.png.7b160333d7f896acaff43d3ef35aea99.png

I'll likely be buying a copy from the Hinterland store, once I can figure out where/if I have room to hang it in my home or my home office.
Even if it does cost a small fortune for shipping from Canada to the US. (Not Hinterland's fault there. Snail mail parcel shipping is crazy expensive. it's kept me from buying merch from other games i enjoy, who would be shipping from Across The Pond.)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

And the banner is just a slice of the poster art for the New Episode, reworked. I think the full poster is fantastic.

I like it too! For the past week or so, I was feeling that an update might be coming soon, so it was super exciting to check the forums and see the new poster. 😁I think it's very dynamic, and I love how vibrant the color is especially.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep this a discussion of the art, either the banner on the forums or the key art, rather than one about tone or whether we all got the humour. It's fair to critique or praise the art as it's one of the first things people have seen for Episode 3.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the Admin, feel free to express opinon. But in the end, Hinterland didn't even have to release the Cover art so we should feel lucky to see it a month before we see Episode 3.

In my opinion, it is absolutely amazing art. All new aspects of the the upcoming chapter in one photo. Makes me think about what is to come and what to expect going into a new episode.

Thank you for sharing with us! @Admin

Alright art then. I did highly enjoy the teaser trailer it gave us just enough detail to get people exited and start making theory's, but not enough to tell us any thing. All though I wish we had gotten a few more inches of view on a few scenes. from what I can tell the story seems much more thought out then when hinterlands first release. after being mildly disappointed at first with episodes one and two I'm really glad they choose to take there time. As far as the cover art goes all is well as long it doesn't end up the cover of the episode. I guess even if it does that is hinterlands creative decision, it will just hinder my enjoyment of the quintet.

If you haven't played the Redux yet, you should definitely fire it up from the beginning again. Redux was a major major overhaul of Story mode and well worth playing, esp. as there are some major changes to the story, as well as how it's presented and how interactions with the NPCs are handled.

• Upvote 1

Probably not. At least I hope not, that would be a really out of place story ark, but hay you never know. She doesn't seem like it but it is possible that she is the one Jeremiah is trying to contact during episode two, but I doubt it since he knew that you are trying to get to pleasant valley and was about to leave on his own journey just before you leave for the dame. Also he talks about the person more of as a comrade then a lover.