Idiosyncrasy

Ice Hole

Idiosyncrasy

a mode of behaviour or way of thought peculiar to an individual

My peculiar behaviour is at area transitions.  An example is approaching the cave entrance in Winding River and instead of clicking to enter I continue moving forward.  Same when travelling to another region.

Describe idiosyncrasies that you have in The Long Dark.

Edited by Ice Hole

Compulsive extremes.  Like I can't do anything in moderation, I have to do it to the extreme, to get the most out of my equipment.  For example, chip a hole in the ice, fish for 100 hours straight without stopping, until I am nearly dead from exhaustion damage.  Then sleep it off with some tea, and proceed to haul like 200kg worth of fish back home, systematically cook it all...

All to make that 2% wear on my prybar worth it.

• Upvote 2

Compulsive climbing. 

Even when I know I was in the middle of a task, or had specific plans, that rock formation, with layers of snow, that I *might* be able to get traction on, to climb up to an overlook I have not looked down from yet... 

Sure. I *could* come back and try it later, or when I am not hauling a whole deer's worth of meat  home. But... it's here. So am I. I *MUST* try to climb it. Even if it does not end well for my gal. Knowing full well this is why I have not gotten the 500 days achievement on Steam yet. Knowing I shouldn't. It's here. So am I...

• Upvote 1

Actually I have a new one that just developed on my recent save.  Since I'm hunting all the buffer memories, and am well situated in every region, I've taken to breaking down everything I can find instead of idly passing time.

Took me about a week to saw up everything in Hibernia.

Carter's not looking much better either.

I also run through transitions.

I don't think I have any unique behaviors, but can definitely relate to what many others have said: 

• Trying to be 100% efficient with usage of resources (although lately, I've lightened up on this, but it still itches at me!)
  • Breaking everything down
  • Picking up everything (not so much with sticks anymore, but still have the urge!)...."Why am I picking this cattail when I have hundreds of pounds of cooked meat??"

When my character go to bed for the night, I make him undress, keeping only a pair of underwear thermal pant and a shirt.

Also, when I'm done for the day, that I don't plan to go elsewhere but still make a fire outside to do some cooking, I remove some cloth to be in a more casual mood, keeping my boots, a pair of jean and a toque.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nogen said:

When my character go to bed for the night, I make him undress, keeping only a pair of underwear thermal pant and a shirt.

Also, when I'm done for the day, that I don't plan to go elsewhere but still make a fire outside to do some cooking, I remove some cloth to be in a more casual mood, keeping my boots, a pair of jean and a toque.

Yikes, that would be too much extra mouse-clicking for me!

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Yikes, that would be too much extra mouse-clicking for me!

No more than picking up each and every sticks you find in your way. 😁

But I must admit that it serves nothing, except role playing purpose.

4 hours ago, Nogen said:

I disrobe at every opportunity available.  Sleeping in a warm bed be certain I am down to nothing.  Pull a thirty six hour fishing session down to skin again.  While forging I hope that my short and curlies don't get singed.  The advantage is there is less wear on the clothing.  The only downside for me to disrobing is walking around and not realizing that icy chill up my shorts.  

I try to be as efficient and frugal as possible, scrupulously saving matches and tools. Then, after looting the entire island, I miss the struggle and quit leaving all the goodies behind.

I used to compulsively hunt bears on sight, even when it was the stupidest choice. The revolver has stopped all that as I no longer travel with a rifle.

Getting jumped by a bear is probably the best thing in the game. Its horrifying!

Edited by Daymo
Missed a “the”