Binoculars/scope

Sundance

I’ve been playing TLD for some time now. I’m not sure if this has been discussed already, so I apologize if this is old news.

So I’ve noticed that the game is very immersive (obviously) and the world is very detailed. I was wondering if the devs have ever considered adding either a scope that can be found and attached to the rifle, or instead a pit of binoculars. I can understand that there may be good reason to refrain, wanting to keep the maps as mysterious as possible, not knowing what’s on top of the next mountain or in the next valley. But I was wondering if this had been considered and if so the reasons for choosing to add or not add this aspect into the game. There have been times that having the zoom a pair of binoculars or scope would provide (whether used in combination with the rifle for hunting or not) some great assistance. Just a thought. I can understand both sides of this, and am just looking for some input.

as always, love the game!

Probably better posted in the wishlist. A scope would be fun but it could unbalance the game, in my opinion, if not implemented correctly.

Thing about scopes in a bad situation is that they're really easy to mess up. Drop it good once and you're likely going to have to at least sight it in again, and you'll quite possibly bust it.

Edited by Grignard_TN

I'm pretty content with the way things are now.  I tend to think that using scopes and such would really take the challenge out of hunting in this game, and binoculars would take some of the danger from exploring.  From my perspective I would say those elements would take away from gameplay rather than improving it. :) 

I like the idea of binoculars, but a rifle scope would be taking things a bit far.  People like myself playing the game in 4K can make out details a fair distance away.  I mean I can pick out a wolf on the ice from halfway across Coastal Highway, as a single black pixel migrating across the screen.  But back when I was playing on a 1920x1080, I'd frequently find myself looking at a black lump in the distance, trying to figure out if that was the dead bear I'm searching for, or if it's just a rock.  Binoculars would be a fun addition to hunting trips.  Magnify what is in view and decrease the FOV.  Same way zoom-in is handled for any other aiming mechanic, just dialed to an 11.

I never got a chance to test it out but I know that prior to the Steadfast Ranger update, a binoculars mod did exist.  So it can definitely be done.  Is it necessary?  Of course not.  Does it give a player an unfair advantage?  No more so than playing in 4K does.  But it'd be a fun option to have.

• Upvote 2

I used a mod for binoculars once for about a month, and uninstalled it. I really thought it was the one thing I wanted in the game, but in the end it was just a novelty, which wore off really fast. Took up extra space I needed, and I really didn't spend that much time admiring the view or actually stalking prey with them. Never really helped in any way accept that you could make fire with the lens. It's a bit overrated just like the jump function many people want. Jump was cool in one place for me...to jump onto The Riken's deck. Other than that, no real use. Maybe it might fit someone else's play style...but definitely I gave the binoculars a pass when I had the chance to loot them.

Edited by Lohaan
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I like the idea of binoculars, but a rifle scope would be taking things a bit far.  People like myself playing the game in 4K can make out details a fair distance away.  I mean I can pick out a wolf on the ice from halfway across Coastal Highway, as a single black pixel migrating across the screen.  But back when I was playing on a 1920x1080, I'd frequently find myself looking at a black lump in the distance, trying to figure out if that was the dead bear I'm searching for, or if it's just a rock.  Binoculars would be a fun addition to hunting trips.  Magnify what is in view and decrease the FOV.  Same way zoom-in is handled for any other aiming mechanic, just dialed to an 11.

I never got a chance to test it out but I know that prior to the Steadfast Ranger update, a binoculars mod did exist.  So it can definitely be done.  Is it necessary?  Of course not.  Does it give a player an unfair advantage?  No more so than playing in 4K does.  But it'd be a fun option to have.

I didn’t mean for hunting with a scope. I agree, it would definitely take the level of skill out of the game, but as a means to see into the distance, so I guess binoculars, or a scope In the truest sense of a scope- not one used for hunting.

Guest kristaok

I would also like to see a Scope and Binoculars added to this Game, most people don't use Rifles without Scopes, and Binoculars are a must for long ranged Hunting. 

Edited by kristaok

Even if this was something that was ever added, I think finding a scope and having to have the means to attach it to a rifle would be interesting. That said, I don’t think it’s really a worthwhile addition as that’s the whole point of the game - danger makes you second guess EVERYTHING! Without that it might as well be one of the generic hunting games you see at your local bar. So to contradict myself, binoculars would be appreciated but not necessary, and a scoped rifle I think is entirely unnecessary.