Have a New Good Interloper Run Going

Ahatch

Hey well done, very impressive! Was wondering how much you have played interloper before this crazy run? I am new to interloper and getting towards 10 days for the first time (like my 3rd run), but don't see myself getting near that amount! Do you have to fail a lot to get this good, or can you pick it up pretty easy? 

• Upvote 1

I started playing Interloper a while back and this run is the result of all the lessons I learned from the many and I mean many failures I had. I played many runs that didn't make it past 2 days.  But I finally got the good start on this one that allowed me to get to that safe point where you can settle down in one spot and play a safe game. Keep it up and it won't be long and you will start to have those runs that last 10 days then 20 then finally a run that could turn into the one I'm having right now :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Just reached 400 days on this run , I'm just about used up the second last bow (19% condition) so will have to switch to my last bow soon . Nothing interesting to report from the 35 days pretty much spent the entire time between the camp office and the fishing cabin at the back of Mystery Lake. 

TLD400.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit 450 days :) , took a week off from playing so had to get back and move this run along. Pretty uneventful 50 days. Killed some wolves and just a couple deer but mainly fished. I am right now exclusively living off fish as it's been so quiet on the lake I have been able to fish and boil water for the last 10 days with no wolves around. Catching some nice fish so tonnes of food stockpiled. I'm down to the last couple pieces of cloth from my Coastal Highway loot run so I have been forwarding some cooked fish down the river towards the dam so that I can have some food within walking distance of the front door of the dam . Going to go break down the last of the office chairs in the lower dam just to get me to 500 days when I run out completely. Hoping I don't make any blunders as I'm close to the goal.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Well just 25 days to go to make 500 . The last 25 days have been kind of uneventful. I spent a week over at the Carter Hydro Dam breaking the last of the office chairs to get me enough cloth to make it to day 500 . I went back to the lake and shot the bear again on day 462. So needless to say I have enough food to manage the next 25 days easily. I spent a few days in the cave by the lake just to ward off cabin fever. Just playing it very safe now not much traveling. When I get the cabin fever warning I just head to the cave or it's sunny I'll spend the day boiling water in the fishing hut. :) 

TLDday475.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Well the first time ever I reached 500 days in a run. I had some long Voyageur runs but never this long. The last 25 days have  been just about making it to 500 days. So really nothing interesting to talk about. I had stockpiled so much food between fishing and the bear meat that I had little to do the last while. I did spend some time at the cave just to ward off the cabin fever and fishing/boiling water other days. I have 1 piece of cloth left and 9 arrow shafts. I lost another arrow so down to 8 arrows. I have decided that I will be make a journey now to Coastal Highway then to Desolation Point to look for saplings. As for this thread I will post again the day I die. I am likely going to start a new run anyway. 

500DAYS.png

500DAYS2.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fire that you keep feeding so that it lasts for days. This is something you do in outdoor environments that are protected from the wind, like caves. You need a fire to sleep in them through the night, so you build one in the entrance way and lay out your bedroll next to it after you feed it up to twelve hours. When you awake, the outdoor cold fire bonus will mean you'll still have hours left; feed it back up to twelve and head out for the day. Go collect your wood and do any hunting that may need to be done than return. Feed that fire back up again to twelve hours, start doing any cooking, crafting, repair, and watermaking you may need to get going on. When you're ready for bed, feed it up to twelve again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This cuts way down on the match consumption, a finite resource, by using gathered wood, an infinite resource. Also, your fire will rapidly find itself at its max temperature (80C) and if you get cold you can always roll back to the cave and with a roaring hot fire you'll warm up very quickly so you can continue your day as once you get within a few meters of it you'll get three up arrows and will warm up in very good time, giving you more time to head back out and do more of whatever it is that needs doing.

It's a crucial technique and works extremely well; so well that I rarely put bases in buildings any more (Trapper's is an honourable exception). The cold bonus will cut way way down on the amount of wood you need to keep it going, and always having a fire available will be a life-saver on a routine basis.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, stratvox said:

It's a fire that you keep feeding so that it lasts for days. This is something you do in outdoor environments that are protected from the wind, like caves. You need a fire to sleep in them through the night, so you build one in the entrance way and lay out your bedroll next to it after you feed it up to twelve hours. When you awake, the outdoor cold fire bonus will mean you'll still have hours left; feed it back up to twelve and head out for the day. Go collect your wood and do any hunting that may need to be done than return. Feed that fire back up again to twelve hours, start doing any cooking, crafting, repair, and watermaking you may need to get going on. When you're ready for bed, feed it up to twelve again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This cuts way down on the match consumption, a finite resource, by using gathered wood, an infinite resource. Also, your fire will rapidly find itself at its max temperature (80C) and if you get cold you can always roll back to the cave and with a roaring hot fire you'll warm up very quickly so you can continue your day as once you get within a few meters of it you'll get three up arrows and will warm up in very good time, giving you more time to head back out and do more of whatever it is that needs doing.

It's a crucial technique and works extremely well; so well that I rarely put bases in buildings any more (Trapper's is an honourable exception). The cold bonus will cut way way down on the amount of wood you need to keep it going, and always having a fire available will be a life-saver on a routine basis.

Ah interesting, I'll have to attempt this later on. Thanks for the explanation 

Once you start to get into the good clothing, cave living is the bomb. It turns out that one fire is plenty to be able to cook your food on, and the huge advantages of being able to run a permafire (hey, torches on demand!) just can't be beat, imho. You can cure your stuff in the back, and while some caves are remote from worktables, there are plenty that are not. Even if you're on an extensive stay in someplace like HRV, just so long as you go in with lots of arrows you can stay for a very long time in any of the caves up in there. I'm very partial to the waterfall cave up on Monolith lake, the cave that's near an ice cave entrance up in the north west corner of the map. Both have plenty of wood nearby and good hunting. Monolith gets moose and the cave near the ice cave gets a bear; if you can ping pong back and forth while getting deer and wolves on the side you can live extremely well for a long time. 

My long run guy spent a lot of time in HRV, heading out to the trailer in MT to use the worktable to make arrows every few weeks. Once you're past the early game and settling in to just live for a while HRV can be a very nice place to do it. The amount of natural resources in there is incredible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2019‎/‎09‎/‎14 at 5:12 PM, stratvox said:

So you're telling me if the fire is not super hot. I.e. not reaching the max temp it does not consume as much wood? Can you explain the cold bonus to me a bit more??

No. The cold bonus is a time bonus, not a heat bonus. It's based on the environmental temperature of the player while both the player and the fire are outside. If you're within range of the fire, it's based on what the player's environmental temperature would be if there was no fire present. The fire itself gets as hot as it gets based on the amount of fuel fed into it; for example one stick equals one degree centigrade, one cedar equals four, and so on. However, when you put the stick in it'll show you a "time left" on the fire. If the temperature's cold enough, it won't tick down on a one second per second basis; as the environmental temperature drops, it'll do so on the basis of say .8 second time left per second of time passing. Let's say for example that the cold bonus means that each second passes eats .75 seconds of the time left on the fire; if the fire has one hour left, after one hour of time passing in the game, the fire won't go out; instead it'll have fifteen minutes left because 60*0.75=45 minutes consumed of the hour, leaving fifteen minutes showing on the time left on the fire. The fire will in fact last for one hour and twenty minutes before it goes out, because 20*0.75=15, meaning that it'll take twenty minutes for the fire to consume all fifteen minutes of the time left. The further the temperature drops, the more that factor increases. This makes judging exactly how long a fire will last while outdoors harder to figure out, but the benefits far outweigh this unpredictability.