Have a New Good Interloper Run Going

Ahatch

A month ago I died foolishly on my best interloper run and since then I have died a bunch of times. I had some Desolation Point starts that went bad once I died on the Crumbling Highway and once on Coastal after eating a granola bar and getting food poisoning. A couple TWM starts that went bad , but alas after so many failures I got a decent interloper run going. Started on Timberwolf Mountain good starting point as I entered Cave D (Whiteberry Map) popping out by the Engine. I managed to get some matches off the hop as well as collecting cat tails before making it down to Crystal Lake. I collected all the cat tails/ mushrooms from the lake before heading to Pleasent Valley. I didn't make the mistake I had made on previous attempts dying of starvation at the farmhouse. I managed to make it to the Farmstead in reasonable condition with just the heavy hammer and close to 50 cat tails. I then spent the next couple days on loot runs to the barn, radio tower harvesting a couple dead deer to maintain my condition. Then I made for the Pensant pond and collecting even more cat tails and mushrooms and made the journey to Mystery Lake via the Winding River / Hydro Dam. I still had not found the bedroll but found the hacksaw in the Dam. I was lucky to make it to the trailers to sleep but after another day looting the Hydro Dam  I had to sneak out of the yard to avoid the wolf (who was blocking the trailers). I crawled towards the bridge then made the dash across making it safely to the area by Allan's Cave where I located the bedroll at the hunting blind there. So now I'm at Mystery Lake in one of the little cabins. The plan is to make for the forge while I still have enough food. My condition is very good so far and I have staved off starvation well so far. I manage to get gloves and a toque so no danger of frostbite. This is actually a better start than my best game just hope I don't mess it up. 

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

Well my new run is still going and I did follow through with my plan to visit Forlorn Muskeg to do my forging. So I made my way through all the lake cabins on Mystery Lake looting everything there. Then I went to the Camp Office and cave above the camp office looting some more. Then I made for Trappers Cabin where I stayed a couple days taking a short hike up the unnamed pond. Things went really well and I managed to kill a few rabbits with stones and harvest a couple dead deer. So then I made the journey to Forlorn which went very smooth. Weather was decent so I crossed from the Poachers Camp to the High Blind then to the cave behind the bunkhouse. I collected a boat load of cattails. Currently at the Spence Homestead where I have crafted 6 arrowheads and a knife. I have the permafire going and there's a wolf munching on a deer outside the barn. Kinda trapped here for now will have to figure out a plan to get back to Trappers unscathed. No bow and not enough metal to craft an ax which isn't the end of the world as I managed fine last run without it for over 100 days. Hope I can get out of this cabin and look about here a bit to see if I can find some more metal before my fire runs out :)

TLDNR_2.png

INTNR_1.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Played a fair bit today run is still going, made it out of Forlorn as I decided to pack up used up all the remaining metal I had on arrowheads and made for the same cave I stayed at before . Too many Wolves hanging around Spence Homestead and no way to deal with them. I crossed to Poachers Camp cooked up some mushrooms then made the trip to the trappers cabin. Spent the next days crafting a bow and 3 arrows (as I had 1 maple sapling and 1 birch sapling curing on the floor). I then put the bow to work bagging a deer. Then I made it back to Camp Office where I herded a deer into a wolf then scared the wolf with an arrow. So harvested a second deer. I found the Magnifying glass behind a crate in the camp office which was a big win :D. Plan is to stick around Mystery Lake and pay a visit to the Ravine and go looking for some more saplings as I have just the one maple one. Hope I don't mess this run up.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Seems like a great start and if you've made it 100 days before, you know what you're doing.  My last run of 44 days had fuel problems that dissuaded me from chasing game I had shot and ended in me desperately eating wolf and bear meat and contracting intestinal parasites (14% come on!) which eventually led to my body littering some cave for another survivor to pick crow feathers off :(

Keep the struggle and don't mess with the intestinal parasite Gods! lol.  GL to ya 

• Upvote 1

Not going to mess with any wolf or bear meat until I hit level 5 cooking . Harvesting meat 0.5 kg at a time to try to boost my cooking skill a bit faster. I will have to move around a bit between Camp Office , Hydro Dam and Trappers Cabin as deer spawning  dictates. If I play it safe on this run I should easily make a 100 days . Just the travelling about that is a bit scary as your an ambush away from being dead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just hit 37 days and doing very well , playing it safe just sort of repeating the same pattern as my last run . I am at level 4 cooking so it won't be long when I can start munching on some wolf meat but for now playing it safe. Living at the back of Mystery Lake . Killed  a few deer and caught some fish on the lake so eating well. I plan to eventually make my way back to the Hydro Dam then over to the Ravine and try to find some Maple Saplings as I have just the one bow. Every time I build a campfire I am super careful LOL 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Up to day 70 doing fine , did a good job of NOT eating bear and wolf meat and just hit level 5 cooking. So playing it safe I was able to find 3 maple saplings near the cabin by unnamed pond behind the clear cut along with a bunch of birch saplings. It's been a uneventful 35 days since I last  posted. I have stuck close to Mystery Lake at the back of the lake. I made a change up from my last run going with the Bearskin Jacket rather than the bedroll. I have killed only 4 wolves so far (avoiding them like the plague and have their pelts all over the place so no wolf coat yet. So the plan is to stick around the Camp Office :) Continue to hope I don't mess this run up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Just hit day 90 on this run :) I just finished the wolf coat as I made the trek to Carter Hydro Dam and pick up the 2 wolf coats there. So now my clothes set is better than in my last run with a +26 warmth bonus at the moment. I am currently at 31 matches so there is no panic for me to leave Mystery Lake but I have some plans to visit the Ravine in the next few weeks. I took the rope from behind the small cabins and brought it over to the Dam. I can go down to the Ravine and hopefully find the flare gun down there. From there I may make a loot run over to Coastal Highway / Desolation Point . I didn't forge an improvised ax last time at the forge so could use one . I am going to play it pretty safe though. I killed my first bear way back when I had level 3 cooking and I still harvested the meat but I never cooked any of it. So there was a big pile of ruined meat near the fishing hut at the back of the lake. So now I have level 5 cooking I have been digging into that pile and cooking that meat while fishing. That has made the cloths crafting really possible as I spent one day fishing / cooking to ward off cabin fever. Then I was able to focus on the crafting without having to worry about hunting in between. A long way to go to match the 235 day run but I have a great chance to catch it if I don't do anything stupid. 

TLDCloths.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I just past the 100 day mark on this run and things are going just fine but I continue to play a very safe game. I did make the return trip to the Hydro Dam as there was no deer spawns on the lake and I wasn't have much luck fishing. I scared a deer into the wolf guarding the dam and made my way into the fenced in area. Had a sleep and the went back outside and disposed of the wolf. I then took the rope into the Ravine and went down and got the flair gun. I didn't spend a whole lot of time before heading back to the lake and the camp office. I made some snares and put them near the camp office and bagged a couple of deer. Then I hit the jackpot as the bear respawned at the back of the lake. I easily disposed of him and now have a huge store of cooked meat. He fell in his cave so I had 2 fires going in there so was able to cook him up as well had 3 pots going after the meat was cooked and boiled close to 25 liters of water. Basic same MO as my last big run. Collect sticks all day hunt if there is deer and wait for the sun to build any fires. I have 30 matches so going to try to stretch it out here on Mystery Lake as long as I can. I have to be careful though to not let complacency set in which was my downfall last time.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

120 days now still plugging along slowly. I have spent the last 20 days jumping between camp office and the little cabin at the back of the lake. Still munching on bear meat but had to find things to do so have been collecting a lot of wood. I disposed of a wolf that was lurking around the central cabins and I killed one guarding the river path to the the Hydro Dam. I have been fishing as well as bagging a couple deer near the camp office. So I have no shortage of food and I continue to build all my fires using the magnifying glass so still have 29 matches. No plans to leave Mystery Lake but I will have to make a stop at the Hydro Dam in the coming weeks to restock on cloth and metal. I am running low on sharpening stones so there will be a time when I will have to go on a loot run to Coastal but for now I may switch to using the hacksaw. I have level 5 carcass harvesting now and getting close to level 4 fishing , archery and fire starting. I will continue to play it safe and hope I can make it over my previous mark of 235 days at least. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Day 130 Just hit level 4 archery as I wasted 3 wolves from the rock outcrop near the back of the lake. I have so much meat right now I don't need to hunt but just working on my skills and killing boredom. 

TLDNR_3.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit 150 days on this run , starting to make some blunders already . First I seen my cloth was low and I know I left some crappy cloths over at the Trappers Cabin so I decided I would scoot down the tracks but had to turn around as there was a wolf blocking the way. So I decided I would take the route I tried in my last run going up the hill (rope climb by the lake) then scoot down by those rail cars. Like last time I sprained my ankle going down and had to quickly pop a painkiller / bandage  and use one of my flairs to scare off another wolf. I was disappointed to find only a few items at the cabin and no game hanging  around so  no option to stay there so I made my way back to the Camp Office. I killed the wolf guarding the track from a rock outcrop after I made it safely back to Camp office. I bagged another wolf at the Creek leading to the Unnamed Pond and feeling pretty cocky. I shot another wolf near the Camp Office from the rock outcrop by the cabin using stinky meat to lure him towards me. I tried this strategy a couple nights later but missed on my arrow shot and was attacked by the wolf before I could drop the sticky meat . I managed to fend him off but took a health hit and lost one of my ear wraps. Other than that though things pretty good have not used any of my matches and have plenty of cooked meat and water (at least a couple weeks worth). I know I will have to eventually leave here and make for Coastal Highway at some point or at least the Hydro Dam and Ravine.  With the new strain system I will need to harvest some more cloth  as well for bandages and I don't want to break down my 2 ski jackets just yet . I also need to go find some more birch bark so I can try out that new tea . :) 

• Upvote 2

170 days now  on this run :) still on Mystery Lake and still 29 matches. Last 20 days pretty dull . I returned to the Ravine / Carter Hydro Dam to loot metal and cloth and got some birch bark for tea. When I returned to Mystery Lake the bear had respawned so I killed it again so really loaded up on the meat. Then some wolves moved in again and I killed one who ran off with my arrow. I lost 2 arrows in that same evening as another wolf spawned. I gathered all the arrows from the lake and seen I had just 8 arrows including the one from the dead wolf. So 2 arrows were missing along with 1 wolf so I wasted a few days searching for the other wolf. Bad weather rolled in so I was unable to locate the corpse but later found 1 arrow up on the hill beside the cave on the lake. I keep walking around the lake looking for the other arrow without luck. I going to stick it out here until I hit level 5 on my available skills and still have 2 spare bows and 23 arrow shafts so looking good. 

• Upvote 3

Closing in on my best run ever currently around 220 days. I have for the last 50 days been circling Mystery Lake. Days have been spent gathering firewood , hunting and cooking and fishing. The bear spawned again at the back of the lake so I have a hefty pile of meat by my cabin.  While harvesting the bear fog rolled in so I decided to build 3 fires to light a trail back to the cabin and speed up cooking the bear meat as well as ward off any wolves during my cooking . It looked pretty cool as well :)I also have my fishing skill at level 4 so catching a lot of fish. I made about a 4 day stay at the Hydro Dam to break down office chairs to get cloth. I had a  pile of deer meat at the ravine cave to feed on and I killed a couple wolves hanging around there. Animal spawning is getting a bit slower I see less wolves on the lake but more blizzards so I have been staying in the cave to ward off the onset of cabin fever. Resource wise I know I will have to do another run to the Dam to get cloth but don't want to do anything to risky until I surpass my previous best run of 235 days. The plan is to try to avoid the Dam until about day 240 then get enough cloth to get my through until I need to leave Mystery Lake for Coastal Highway. Not so fussy about crossing the Ravine railway though always get queezy on that narrow part. I still want to wait until I have the level 5 archery though before leaving this region. 

tldnrbf.jpg

TLDNRFH.jpg

tldnrca.jpg

• Upvote 3

Well this is officially my best run ever as I just reached 236 days . I spent the last 16 days mostly at the Carter Hydro Dam busting down office chairs and hunting deer. I then went back to the camp office with all my cloth and had to craft some arrows as I broke some :) Managed to reach level 5 archery though. Down to 18 arrow shafts , 25 matches so not sure how long I can stay on Mystery Lake but going to try to make 500 days which I've never done so hope I don't mess this run up. 

TLDNRRR.jpg

tldnrrr2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Just made the midpoint of my quest for 500 days on Interloper and made a major blunder that could have costed this run. I got the cabin fever warning after spending a day inside cooking a bunch of meat at the Camp Office. I decided I would make a trip to the forge on Forlorn Muskeg with 20 metal and 3 cloth with the goal of crafting 2 axes and another knife. I was certain I had left a heavy hammer back on Forlorn as I had found one on Timberwolf Mountain. I was sure I found another one somewhere along the way (ravine I think) so I must have got mixed up with my last long run. Anyway I went all the way to the forge with this thought I had a heavy hammer there in a box. Well I get all the way there and guess what no hammer. I also made the mistake of not picking up some rocks along the way and found myself trapped inside the loft with wolves all over the place but no way to deal with them. So after spending the coal I collected just to keep warm I decided after resting to make some mushroom soup and make a mad dash the heck out of there and used one flare round to scare a wolf on the swamp and made for the cave near the Poachers Camp. I skirted the outside and made it safely back to Camp Office but I have decided after that I will not use that forge again and will go to Coastal at some point then to the much safer Riken. :D 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Over the 260 day mark , the last 10 days pretty uneventful returned to the Hydro Dam for a 2 day stay spending the time busting down office chairs to get cloth. Returned to the lake and that bear respawned again so easily killed him but lost one arrow so down to 8 arrows now. Have tons of meat so just going to take it easy collect wood for a while and fish some. Fishing, sewing and fire starting still at level 4 so hoping to get these up to 5. Have 15 or so arrow stocks so looking ahead to Coastal Highway trip around day 300 I'm thinking as supplies starting to dwindle a bit here :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just over 300 days on this run and going well. On day 277 I crossed the tracks from the Camp Office then up the hill to the creek then back down the hill to the right to the logging camp. I looted all the cloth there so have lots now which is going to allow me to stay on this map a lot longer. I got my fishing skill up to 5 which was very good. So now I'm living more off fish than anything. Pretty uneventful anyway gather sticks and fish. I'm going to try to fish for most of my food and use my arrows sparingly as I have only 12 spare arrow shafts and I'm pretty sure I got all the birch saplings on this map. I have been shooting the odd wolf that shows up and expecting Mr Bear to spawn any day now :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

337 days in and still going pretty good. At long last I made my first venture into Coastal Highway although it was very brief. I was getting low on cloth again so I went back to the Hydro Dam. All the meat I had there was cooked and ruined so it didn't look good to stay there and break chairs down. When I went up to the offices in the upper level I realized I had broken all the chairs down anyway and all that's left is in the lower dam. So without food I went over to the Ravine and hunted the two deer that always spawn there. I decided then to pack some meat and make a venture over the ravine to the very edge of Coastal Highway. I looted the trailer and the little cabin by Bear Creek Campground as well I found some birch saplings.  I came away with 28 cloth and 4 saplings so I felt that was good for now and made the trip back to my base at the camp office. Down to 9 spare arrow shafts so this influx of saplings will allow me to stay here a bit longer and closer to my goal of making it 500 days. I am back to my usual haunt at the back of Mystery Lake. Wildlife spawning is a bit slower but the fishing has been good and I'm living mostly off fish of late. I have not yet even started a new sandbox and I haven't got around to trying out the new revolver and stuff added LOL . So once I get to 500  I want to start a new sandbox :D 

TLDLR_337.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just reached 365 days on this run , I thought something special would happen but the sunrise was pretty nice I guess. Very uneventful 30 days just shot 3 wolves and a bear and fished, gathered sticks. 

365DAYS.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4