What Do You Do with All These Empty "Recycled" Cans?

UpUpAway95

I can't use more than two at a time in most places and I really don't want to just drop them all around the map, so is there a way to truly recycle them to get, say, a little bit of metal scrap.  If not, what do you do to manage the litter?  (The floor of the Camp Office in Mystery Lake in my game is really starting to look and feel like the inside of a dumpster).

There is a mod for that. Makes it a bit it too easy to get your first scrap scrap metal for forging though.

Ideally there would be multiple types of metal. Like needing iron/steel for crafting tools, but aluminum being good enough for hooks. Never going to happen though :(

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

There is a mod for that. Makes it a bit it too easy to get your first scrap scrap metal for forging though.

Ideally there would be multiple types of metal. Like needing iron/steel for crafting tools, but aluminum being good enough for hooks. Never going to happen though :(

Aluminum or tin just for hooks would be a great idea.

Guest kristaok
3 hours ago, Serenity said:

Too bad I think it don't work anymore haha. 

Every stove has a pot or can. Every cave I ever used as a base has a can on the fire. I leave one everywhere I have slept, just in case I somehow get caught out without one. If I have extras, I usually just line them up on a shelf somewhere.

There's the double boiler bug. Once you get it going, you can't take the cans you used to get the bug going in the first place without the fire resetting. I have a number of wind proof locations I have found where I set up the double boiler and just leave the cans there. Although to set it up with pots allows you to cook meat, instead of just boil extra water while you are using the fire.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:04 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

I can't use more than two at a time in most places and I really don't want to just drop them all around the map, so is there a way to truly recycle them to get, say, a little bit of metal scrap.  If not, what do you do to manage the litter?  (The floor of the Camp Office in Mystery Lake in my game is really starting to look and feel like the inside of a dumpster).

I just store them in a cupboard. They do degrade with use, so I guess there might be a point somewhere down the line (after about 400 years, maybe?) where you start to run out of them.

Do they really degrade with use, or do they have different base %s?

From a gameplay perspective, I really like the idea that they degrade and you have to replace them. Makes all those cans kinda useful, and late-game more interesting. But I strongly doubt that they do degrade. I spent more than 500 days without a single can needing replacement.

I'm surprised there are not candles in the game, both found and crafted.  What cabin in real life doesn't have a stash of candles?  Bear and moose should provide enough fat to make lots of candles.  The cans could serve to pour the fat in.  In RL I keep two cans on the window sill in front of the sink that I pour bacon grease into.  I have about six full cans in the storage shed with aluminum foil and plastic wrap (recycled) over them with a rubber-band.  These are my emergency candles. 

On 1/8/2019 at 5:56 PM, Doc Feral said:

I've read they degrade with misuse, they're virtually eternal unless you mess up when cooking, such as burning food or evaporating drinks.

They lose 10% condition when you burn food or boil off the liquid inside them.  It is a neat feature despite almost zero actual gameplay impact.

16 hours ago, galadhlinn said:

I'm surprised there are not candles in the game, both found and crafted.  What cabin in real life doesn't have a stash of candles?  Bear and moose should provide enough fat to make lots of candles.  The cans could serve to pour the fat in.  In RL I keep two cans on the window sill in front of the sink that I pour bacon grease into.  I have about six full cans in the storage shed with aluminum foil and plastic wrap (recycled) over them with a rubber-band.  These are my emergency candles. 

I think the idea is that a lot of Great Bear was abandoned long before the Geomagnetic Storm.  So a lot of stuff would have been stolen or is useless because it is so old.  

On 08/01/2019 at 1:01 PM, melcantspell said:

Do they really degrade with use, or do they have different base %s?

Both, I think. 

It seems to be that their base condition depends on the food's condition before you open it, and then the can's condition goes down by 1 or 2 % per use. If you boil it dry it loses more.

16 hours ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Well I designate a few containers in each region as sort of "trash cans" that I put all the recycled cans and other junk (like used up sewing kits) that I don't want anymore. 

This is actually what I've started doing in places like Milton, Carter Dam and such where I've seen trash cans.  The Camp Office in Mystery Lake sure could use a trash can though.  It's also no longer as big a problem as when I first started out with the game since I'm tending to leave more things behind where I found them in the first place rather than trying to carry everything about in order to  consolidate  it into a single spot.

I have a smallish "trash heap" near any base I'm at for an extended period of time.  Ruined whetstone, sewing kits, burned out flair, broken bows and the lot go there.  Now cans do too ... I kind of like seeing my effect on the post Apocalypse environment ....  

There should be an official feature to turn 2 or 3 of them into one scrap metal unit. I am currently playing a super challenging custom interloper run so I have 4 cans only (two more than I need) and NO cooking pots. But I have played lower difficulties and they pile up, fast. Why not make some scrap metal on the side, especially for higher difficulty runs where recycling metal structures is the only and (sometimes time-consuming) way to get it?

I usually leave as many as I can on any campfire I come across. My thinking behind this is that if I ever have to return to an area, or come back to that particular cave at a later date, I'll always have a cooking utensil waiting for me, just in case I didn't bring any with me to begin with.

1 hour ago, Ducky335 said:

I usually leave as many as I can on any campfire I come across. My thinking behind this is that if I ever have to return to an area, or come back to that particular cave at a later date, I'll always have a cooking utensil waiting for me, just in case I didn't bring any with me to begin with.

Iv started to do this recently also since I Im going for the "Living Off The Land" Achievement & forgot to bring some empty cans to boil water. Tried to place 2 dog food next to a fire, when heated up I replaced them on the cooking spot to cook them dry & what I thought gaining 2 empty cans but they immediately disappeared (dont remember what it said as explanation ).. 

15 hours ago, Arjuna_Blaze said:

Iv started to do this recently also since I Im going for the "Living Off The Land" Achievement & forgot to bring some empty cans to boil water. Tried to place 2 dog food next to a fire, when heated up I replaced them on the cooking spot to cook them dry & what I thought gaining 2 empty cans but they immediately disappeared (dont remember what it said as explanation ).. 

If you let any food cook for too long, it will turn into "Inedible Burnt Stuff" and will disappear if you interact with it. If you were cooking the item in a pot or can, it will become empty, losing a bit of its condition.

Archived