Hollow trees

Hotzn

I may be mistaken, but I have a feeling of not seeing (m)any hollow trees in the game lately. That just occurred to me in this very moment as I found a hollow tree mentioned in another post.

I remember I had high expectations when hollow trees were introduced many versions ago - that they would bring new aspects to the gameplay, and that they were heralding the further development of certain game mechanics. I was especially hoping that they might play a role in enhanced hunting, or in making a camp in the wilderness. My hopes were that deer would be made so they detect me much earlier than they currently do, and that in order to get them with a bow shot I might have to hide in a hollow tree, downwind from them, and wait patiently until they pass by. Or that I would be able to make some kind of shelter in a hollow tree, protected from the wind, where wildlife would not harrass me. Alas, none of this has come to be so far, and as a consequence I do not "need" or "use" (transl fr. new Hinterlandish: eat, wear, harvest, cook, repair or otherwise interact with) the hollow trees. Which somehow is a shame, since they COULD be cool.

I would like to hear comments from other players (astute TLD scientists included) on hollow trees in general, and on the following points in particular: Have you seen any hollow trees lately, and if so, where? Do you "use" them in any way, and if so, how (screenshots would be awesome)? What, in your opinion, would be a cool change to make hollow trees become more relevant in the game?

I have seen some hollow trees (mostly in PV) and I have always been like "oh cool that's a great place to make a fire if I need to survive a blizzard or stock some emergency supplies in there" and then I walk past them and forget them completely until I pass by one again.

Hollow trees have so much potential I just wish they could be used in some clever way:(

Hushed river valley has countless, so does TWM and Forlorn Muskeg also has a good amount, not to mention the awesome huge hollow tree by Muskeg Overlook.

You can still fit the new bigger campfire inside the hollow trees but it takes some angle adjustments and manouvering to get them there. My first night at HRV I killed a bear and harvested him by a hollow tree near Stairsteps Lake, if you feed the fire slowly and manage to microsleep they make for great camping spots, I wish I had a screenshot to show. 

Thanks to everybody for the input - so I gather the hollow trees have not been removed or reduced, I just didn't come across that many lately or didn't pay attention. I'll just leave this thread out here for Hinterland to see. Make hollow trees great (again)! :)

Maybe when I have some room between two achievements in my ongoing achievement run and come across a hollow tree at the right time, I will do some research. For example, concerning making a campfire inside the hollow tree, I would be interested to know whether the fire would have wind protection from all directions.

8 hours ago, Hotzn said:

concerning making a campfire inside the hollow tree, I would be interested to know whether the fire would have wind protection from all directions.

It doesn't. The open side is open, and if the wind changes direction to blow that way, it'll vanish your fuel down to 9 minutes' worth just the same as anywhere else.

In fact, I haven't tried building a fire in one of them for a long time - certainly not since the last update - simply because it's not terribly useful to do so in most circumstances. But now that campfires have a larger 'footprint' in the world than they used to, due the stones around the outside of them, I'm not even sure that one would fit inside the hollow tree-base at all. Placing fires does seem to be more restrictive now than before Vigilant Flame came out.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:07 PM, RossBondReturns said:

I think the only regions without one might be Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway...ans maybe Desolation Point.

There's at least one in ML, it's up the first rope to the Lake Overlook... if I'm remembering it right, that one's facing the rock wall.

Hollow trees are not that hard to spot, usually there are some wood logs lying nearby, or a flare, or an occasional backpack inside.

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

But now that campfires have a larger 'footprint' in the world than they used to, due the stones around the outside of them, I'm not even sure that one would fit inside the hollow tree-base at all. Placing fires does seem to be more restrictive now than before Vigilant Flame came out.

campfires have become difficult to place indeed... but they do indeed still fit inside a hollowed out tree..

Capture.JPG

14 hours ago, Pillock said:

It doesn't. The open side is open, and if the wind changes direction to blow that way, it'll vanish your fuel down to 9 minutes' worth just the same as anywhere else.

In fact, I haven't tried building a fire in one of them for a long time - certainly not since the last update - simply because it's not terribly useful to do so in most circumstances. But now that campfires have a larger 'footprint' in the world than they used to, due the stones around the outside of them, I'm not even sure that one would fit inside the hollow tree-base at all. Placing fires does seem to be more restrictive now than before Vigilant Flame came out.

TLD science demands that I ask for clarification here: Do I understand you correctly that you had a fire placed inside a hollow tree and it was blown out, that this happened some game versions ago, and that you did not (yet) see this phenomenon confirmed in the current game version?

12 hours ago, Hotzn said:

TLD science demands that I ask for clarification here: Do I understand you correctly that you had a fire placed inside a hollow tree and it was blown out, that this happened some game versions ago, and that you did not (yet) see this phenomenon confirmed in the current game version?

Yes.

Archived