Moose Do Not Bleed

selfless

The big change for this animal is moose do not bleed.  The only way to kill one that is not dead is to shoot it.  Again and again.  Until it dies.

I think I one-shot a moose once.  But everytime since it has taken two shots or more to kill.  Never more than four.

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

Will the moose still die if left for 8+ hours like a bear wounded in the leg?

Apparently not.. people have waited and waited, in vain.. seems they just don't bleed out. Some think it's that moose have an extra-tough hide, others think it's a bug.

It's possible that according to game logic, moose don't bleed externally because their hide is so thick. I've never seen an arrow stick into a moose -- only seen them bounce off (not that they don't stick, I just have yet to see it). Perhaps the moose die of internal bleeding.

Hi fellas! Bagged my first moose today, took three shots, two hit the neck/back area and the third one was right to the face. 

I just passed by to thank you guys for this thread, otherwise I would have waited for it to bleed out. The arrows indeed do not stick to the moose, which I suppose is a good tradeoff for the fact that it indeed does not bleed. I only had two arrows and it shed them exactly at the spot I hit the animal, saves a lot of arrowheads and shafts this way.

Question is: Do I make the cloak or the satchel? I'm at desolation point in a new run ( 35 days now ) and got wolf pelts to make the coat but I'm still rocking ski jackets. I'm tempted to go for that extra protection and lesser mobility penalty, although wolf + satchel would be good for offsetting the weight penalty. What do you guys recommend? 

I shot 3 mooses, two of them while standing on a fallen tree. Both of the times the mooses were bugged and started running in the same place right under the tree. (like the old bear bug) Took three shots total to kill them. Third time I shot the moose from Trappers Cabin. Got two shots into him before he trampled me. I got up and shot him for the third time when he was walking down and he got down.

@Patrick Carlson

So are moose going to remain as the only animal in game that does not bleed to death?

If so what is the dev logic behind this choice?

Regardless of their logic, then unlike the animals that DO bleed, do moose have a fixed hit point pool.... and do weapons do a certain amount of hit point damage to this pool?

It seems very unfair if moose don't bleed and moose ALSO don't have hit points, and weapons ALSO don't do a certain amount of damage to them that adds up until they die.

The mechanics of other animals in the game don't need hit points and weapons don't do a certain amount of damage because the other animals  DO eventually bleed to death....or are supposed to at least. So if you land a definite shot and then are patient and wait, then you eventually get a definite kill. (With the exception of bugged bears that are supposed to bleed but don't because of some bug that may never be fixed apparently)

I am hoping the moose not bleeding is an oversight and a bug, but if it is indeed intentional then I hope you at least give them hit points and make all weapons then cause an appropriate amount of damage based on the weapon (Bow, rifle, flare gun) that will kill them when you score enough hits to particular locations on the moose....

So it isn't JUST the lucky critical head shot game..... that's a BS way to go about adding moose....

Archived