pigbull320

I don't like how when turning the lantern on/off you have to stay still and it snaps your camera forward. I turn it off once I look around a room because I have a good memory, and I turn it off/on when I leave a building and would like to walk while doing so.

Very small thing I don't like, love how the lanterns work in the new update tho. 

I really dislike the new lantern interactions.  Super slooooooooow and the lantern interactions override stuff you choose to do.  Not just stop/turn you, but shut your active lantern off if you happen to try to loot an additional lantern (and then stop/turn you too).

Not once did I hear anyone complain about the old lantern interactions.  I don't know what the point of these changes were but they are clunky.  Taking TLD in the wrong direction.

8 hours ago, pigbull320 said:

I don't like how when turning the lantern on/off you have to stay still and it snaps your camera forward. I turn it off once I look around a room because I have a good memory, and I turn it off/on when I leave a building and would like to walk while doing so.

Very small thing I don't like, love how the lanterns work in the new update tho. 

1+ 

On 27.9.2016 at 1:16 PM, Ruruwawa said:

I really dislike the new lantern interactions.  Super slooooooooow and the lantern interactions override stuff you choose to do.  Not just stop/turn you, but shut your active lantern off if you happen to try to loot an additional lantern (and then stop/turn you too).

Not once did I hear anyone complain about the old lantern interactions.  I don't know what the point of these changes were but they are clunky.  Taking TLD in the wrong direction.

That's the only point i agree with: why shut the active lantern off when grabbing another one? The guy has two hands: he should be able to hold the active lantern and take the new lamp with the other hand, no?

Besides that i do not think, that the new lantern interaction is clunky at all. How would you use a lantern in reallife instead?

I agree on the lantern interactions.

If a torch, matches, or flare is sitting on the ground unlit, it acts like it always did before.  If it is LIT, then the slow hand comes swooping down, and that makes sense.

For the lantern, the slow hand comes swooping down even when unlit, and it screws up whatever else you may be holding.

Seems to me if the lantern is UNLIT it should act like every other object in the world, including other light-making objects.

when it is lit and set down then I am fine with the hand animation (although a bit faster moving hand would be good)

I dont think the lighing animation is that much different in timing to really affect gameplay. The picking up part is though.

Its just the fact you have to stop moving whenever you light the lantern and that picking a new one up forces you to drop your old one that makes it annoying.

The player holds this lantern above his head which i dont like.

20 hours ago, aurora said:

How would you use a lantern in reallife instead?

In real life I would not even look at the lantern while I turned it on.  You you focus on your hand as it moves a fork toward your mouth?  Do you focus on your hand as you open a door?  Focusing 100% of your attention on the whole interaction for routine tasks is not normal for people.  Your mind is already reaching ahead to the next thing.

The genius of the game is how it makes the world real with a minimal visual details (and excellent sound design).  We use our imagination and experiences to fill in the gaps.  It's brilliant.  And that's what some of the first person animation sorely lack.  I have an imagination, let me use it!

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

In real life I would not even look at the lantern while I turned it on.  You you focus on your hand as it moves a fork toward your mouth?  Do you focus on your hand as you open a door?  Focusing 100% of your attention on the whole interaction for routine tasks is not normal for people.  Your mind is already reaching ahead to the next thing.

I wouldn't focus it, but it would probably be in my sight, no? Or do you always look somewhere else when opening a door? Why? The fork is in my sight too. How should it be not? I cant turn my head but would have to close my eyes to not seeing it. Or the lamp: pressing on/off on an electric flashlight is a little different than turning on an oil lamp.

4 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

The genius of the game is how it makes the world real with a minimal visual details (and excellent sound design).  We use our imagination and experiences to fill in the gaps.  It's brilliant.  And that's what some of the first person animation sorely lack.  I have an imagination, let me use it!

Depending on the type of lantern you have to be looking at it to light it :D

For instance, Coleman Naphtha stoves have a fuel control knob, fuel pressurization pump, fuel/air mixture valve, and a way to ignite it (matches in my case). To light the thing you have to pressurize the fuel, start the gas flow, increase the fuel richness and then get the mantle to light. After doing that you've usually lost so much gas pressure that you've got to re-pressurize the fuel as you adjust the fuel mix and flow to get the hot, white light needed to actually see things. In my case this normally takes two hands and a stable surface to pull off without damaging the mantle or setting myself on fire :silly:

While the game's depiction may not be as involved (nor should it) I'm happy to let it slide as a good approximation :winky:

18 hours ago, cekivi said:

While the game's depiction may not be as involved (nor should it) I'm happy to let it slide as a good approximation :winky:

Yep, and I think this is where my standards are just a lot higher than some.  I believe the goal of 1st person stuff should be to engage our feelings.  Not trying to beat up on the game or Hinterland -- what they've done for the rest of the game with graphics and sound design proves they are geniuses in this regard.  But there's much more they could do to engage our feelings do 1st person animations (+sound design).

Namely, focus on our in-game avatar, "me."   Not the tool I happen to be using but my body, the clothing I've worked so hard to obtain and maintain, and the purpose I'm using the tool for.  Let me see my gloves and coat, or the scratches on my hands from the wolf fight that destroyed my gloves.   I realize this is planned and NYI, but it's far more engaging than watching a slow, meticulous animation of turning on a lantern (again and again).  Instead, make turning on the lantern peripheral to my character and my character's purpose.  Suggest the action minimally, use great sound design to keep it believable and crisp.  And deliver the goods emotionally: focus on me (not the tool) and my purpose (in this case, light the way ASAP).

2 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Yep, and I think this is where my standards are just a lot higher than some.  I believe the goal of 1st person stuff should be to engage our feelings.  Not trying to beat up on the game or Hinterland -- what they've done for the rest of the game with graphics and sound design proves they are geniuses in this regard.  But there's much more they could do to engage our feelings do 1st person animations (+sound design).

I don't think that has anything to do with higher standards, but is just a matter of taste.

Archived