Helicopters

traceyle

1 hour ago, traceyle said:

Can you guys add some Helicopters. :) Love to see it in this awesome game. The idea just come to me. We have ships. trains, planes, why not helicopters too? And maybe something more like this. I cant wait to see a crashing site of helicopter.

can you find the right game that needs your helicopters maybe?

3 hours ago, traceyle said:

Can you guys add some Helicopters. :) Love to see it in this awesome game. The idea just come to me. We have ships. trains, planes, why not helicopters too? And maybe something more like this. I cant wait to see a crashing site of helicopter.

+1 !! 

I like to see crash site !!! :D 
And I suggest CH (Costal highway) !!!!  

High tech areas and airports are something that a few people (myself included) have put on the alpha wishlist forums. That being said, a crashed helicopter would be neat to find. Only catch is to make the site either really hard to get to (e.g. the Timberwolf Mountain summit) or have it purely as set dressing so @EternityTide doesn't get too many ideas about what to do with hundreds of liters of jet fuel. 

On 14.9.2016 at 1:28 AM, EternityTide said:

8e3bf27377130fd18e21c042fac17585a094ae76

Haha, no, much too small ;)

as @cekivisaid, many people, himself and myself included, would like to see a bit more high-tech areas in the game, and an airstrip with a crashed and/or inoperable helicopter would really be neat. Or maybe a burnt-up helicopter so you don't get to ask where all the fuel went ;)

12 hours ago, EternityTide said:

That's not me in the photo, this was just the first appropriate pyromaniac picture I pulled off of Google. I have burned bigger fires.

I wasn't directing my comments at you personally, I was just "ribbing" whoever that is in the pic. My buddy and I do that to each other all the time, and I guess it's starting to show up in my internet personality too! :durbear:

Sam

I'll leave you with this: the last "big" fire I lit spontaneously exploded halfway through, with flaming debris hitting the kitchen window over 50 metres (160 feet) away from the fire. Note to self - do not leave half full containers of turpentine in the stack of wood you are burning. They go boom.

My dad has only recently regrown his eyebrows since the incident, and this was 5 years ago.

18 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

A crashed coastal rescue helicopter would be a pretty cool find, maybe halfway submerged in the ice, with the victims still inside...

Probably a little too harsh. Helicopters are designed to land without engines. The catch of course is that all of the controls are electronic so you could have everything from gently coasting into a tree to flipping upside down and exploding. Plus helicopters build up a huge static charge so it wouldn't surprise me if the electronics are hardened to have at least some protection against EMP effects.

Lastly, if they do manage to land without exploding the crew would probably be the best equipped and trained people in the game for surviving post-aurora.

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Probably a little too harsh. Helicopters are designed to land without engines. The catch of course is that all of the controls are electronic so you could have everything from gently coasting into a tree to flipping upside down and exploding. Plus helicopters build up a huge static charge so it wouldn't surprise me if the electronics are hardened to have at least some protection against EMP effects.

Lastly, if they do manage to land without exploding the crew would probably be the best equipped and trained people in the game for surviving post-aurora.

I seriously doubt that civilian helicopters have hardened electronics system, they are simply not designed to operate under conditions as military ones. Autorotation is of course an option, but how many pilots would be able to pull it off.

Rescue helicopters have 2-3 crew members and 1-2 paramedics. Not exactly sure how they are supposed to be best trained and equipped for post-Event time. I dont know if crew are allowed to carry firearms, and they most likely have only emergency rations and some medical equipment. Not really at all that much. Sure, they likely have some survival training, especially crew, who are mostly ex-military, but still, Event is not something they are equipped to deal with.

On 2016-09-20 at 10:58 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Not exactly sure how they are supposed to be best trained and equipped for post-Event time.

Canadian Search and Rescue on the coasts are carried out by the Canadian Coast Guard. Their region includes not only all-weather Pacific ocean rescue but also the mountains of mainland BC. If anyone has the breadth of skills and experience to survive the initial crash landing and subsequent lack of technology I'd say SAR techs would be a good bet.

13 hours ago, cekivi said:

Canadian Search and Rescue on the coasts are carried out by the Canadian Coast Guard. Their region includes not only all-weather Pacific ocean rescue but also the mountains of mainland BC. If anyone has the breadth of skills and experience to survive the initial crash landing and subsequent lack of technology I'd say SAR techs would be a good bet.

SAR people are equipped to expediently arrive and evacuate people in distress, not to setup camp and sit there for months, or build a tank and drive every1 out. Once chopper is down they will be in same situation as every1 else - while they have some survival and medical skills, its offset by their lack of supplies and knowledge of surrounding areas. That if we presume that none of them is injured.

I might be wrong, but in case of crash they are supposed to sit tight and wait for rescue, that is supposed to arrive on rather short notice. Not to hike across unknown frozen land for unknown duration. And how exactly they are equipped to survive lack of technology ?

I did a bit of digging on the subject and im not quite sure that they are supermen as you describe them.

Great discussion. All helicopter pilots are trained to land in the event of engine failure, but it's only possible with sufficient altitude and/or airspeed. Further, there are still a lot of helicopters (both military and civilian) out there without 'fly-by-wire' control systems, i.e. everything's connected with cables and hydraulics. They'd be pretty much totally resilient to EMP-type events (and I'm guessing that's what The Event is!).

Archived