Is anyone else bothered by all the crybaby reviews on steam?

I just checked out the first hundred or so negative reviews, and I only found a couple that the player had a substantial amount of time playing, and only one of them was over a hundred hours. the next closest was 70 something.  What bothers me is that what seemed like an overwhelming majority of them were people with just a few hours in the game, and the only bad thing they had to say was "lack of story mode".  Now, MY perception of this, is they are players who come in thinking they are all badass, start on stalker, die repeatedly without ever really experiencing the game, get sour because they cant "win", and rather than admit in a review that their skills just arent up to the game, they post a bad review saying same crap 75% of the other bad reviews say, and then pout to steam about a refund. Ive been with this game since a few months after launch, and it has only gotten better and better and better with every update. I really hope the Hinterland team doesnt take some of these reviews to seriously. I gotta say, if story mode NEVER releases, I still got more than I paid for.  

10 minutes ago, TROY said:

I really hope the Hinterland team doesnt take some of these reviews to seriously. I gotta say, if story mode NEVER releases, I still got more than I paid for.  

Which is why I feel guilty and bought a second copy to help fund the studio :D

Maybe I'll gift it to someone. But for now...

17 hours ago, TROY said:

Now, MY perception of this, is they are players who come in thinking they are all badass, start on stalker, die repeatedly without ever really experiencing the game, get sour because they cant "win"

I agree.  This is something I've been thinking about for a while: how to convert these "badass wannabe fails" into success for the game.  Honestly I think these guys are approaching the game the best way they know how, and that's the problem.  They don't have experience with building up skill or knowledge since so many games are mostly twitch.  And the only milestones the game gives them at the moment are days survived and Challenges -- both of which require a lot of game knowledge before you can be "badass."

TBH I don't really know the answer, although I wonder if something akin to Feats at the new player end of the game might be an answer.  Easier, short (but satisfying) milestones that are challenging for the new player.  In part so they aren't measuring themselves against the folks who are already very skilled & knowledgeable, but also to give them some upfront investment in the game and some motivation to learn the mechanics before they give up.  

20 hours ago, cekivi said:

Which is why I feel guilty and bought a second copy to help fund the studio :D

Maybe I'll gift it to someone. But for now...

That might actually be also a pretty elegant solution to get rid of the feat bonuses. Guess I'll buy myself a second TLD copy as well.  :silly:

While I do see the value of a "pregame tutorial" in the "options menu", the ABSOLUTE last thing I would want to see is some form of "ingame" hints or popups!

Talk about breaking the total immersion of the game!!

My absolute FAVORITE PART of this game is starting a new one and BAM!!!!   There you are,... out in the middle of nowhere, .......Welcome to reality!!!

Survive!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or die!   Your choice!

I don't think it needs a tutorial. I actually quite like that it doesn't.

Basically, you have to fulfil four basic health requirements to stay alive: warmth, food, water and rest. If you're cold, you light a fire or go indoors or wear warmer clothing; if you're hungry, you eat; if you're thirsty, you drink; if you're tired, you sleep. It's no more complicated than that! Common sense tells you how to solve your survival problems at a basic level. The only thing that might not be immediately obvious is that you can melt snow for drinking water - but the first time you light a fire and click around in the fire-menu, you're going to figure that out.

When you first start playing, you don't need to know what the most efficient survival strategies are: you work them out for yourself over time, which is part of the challenge of the game.

And anyway, I would expect the story mode, once it arrives, to probably introduce players to the various challenges and dangers of the environment in a more gradual and methodical way than the Sandbox does - a tutorial-based introduction would make much more sense in that context, and may well be what new players go to first when they buy the game after Early Access development is over.

I consume my TLD news here and on Reddit.  I used to lurk the steam forums but I just couldn't take another "N E 1 tinkk TLD should be co-op??  Co-op plzz111!!!!!!!11!!!!!" type tread. If it wasn't co-op it was something equally ridiculous.

Kidding the aside the level of content here and on Reddit far, far, far outshines the content users post on Steam. 

That said I think, like a few others here, I might gift a friend a copy of the game as a thank you to Hinterland as well and add a positive review this evening.

• 5 weeks later...

Do these people just not understand that the entire point of the game and the most fun aspect of it is to die over and over and over again when you're first learning?

If they think it's supposed to be a 'normal' game I guess I could understand their frustration. How sad for them.

I bet they're also mad there's no map!

20 hours ago, morgellons said:

Do these people just not understand that the entire point of the game and the most fun aspect of it is to die over and over and over again when you're first learning?

If they think it's supposed to be a 'normal' game I guess I could understand their frustration. How sad for them.

I bet they're also mad there's no map!

Fun ?!? You and i have different definitions of fun. I find such "features" in games to be sign of laziness or incompetence. Its as stupid as calling crashes or gamebreaking bugs fun.

• 3 weeks later...

No, because I wrote one of those reviews. (You can read it here if you're curious. I thought I was relatively fair, for the most part. You may disagree, as is your prerogative.)

I also made a point of reading some of the reviews voted most helpful before posting here, to see what you were referring to. By in large I found them to be dated, but accurate.

To be clear, I like the game quite a lot: I think it stands as an incredibly impressive and immersive work of art (more than any title I've played actually); I just wouldn't recommend it as a "game" because in that regard I think it lackluster.

Cheers.

On 9/23/2016 at 8:24 PM, cekivi said:

Fair criticisms and welcome to the forums @deimos790 ^_^

Although personally I find that there is more than enough game in the Long Dark for me :winky:

Although I may revise my review based on the sheer level of immersion alone. I'm from Minnesota, and so I'm familiar with Winter (to say the least), and this game does a phenomenal job of capturing its essence. The sound effects alone are top notch.

I know as soon as this game receives mod support my review will be seeing a significant update, as that's the number one issue I care about.

Archived