re-used campfire

cekivi

So, I got to play some more over the Victoria Day weekend and encountered some things in the game that still bug me. The ones intrinsic to the new build (e.g. what to do with used brands) have already been mentioned but one that annoys me is how old fires remain persistent. If you're camping in an area for several days and don't want to keep your fire going you'll soon have multiple burnt out fires. It's worse if you're in an area with only one good shelter (e.g. the tail section) where your fires may overlap the old ones. For simplicity, the object for the burnt out fire should either disappear over time (perhaps with you helping?) or be something the player can interact with to relight. Rekindling a fire may even warrant a 5% fire starting bonus since the ground should already be fairly dry from having had a previous fire lit on it. Just something to reduce clutter on the various maps.

I've been living in caves for my last 170 game days, so I know this problem well.  The floor in my only storage, so I can't afford zombie fires all over the place gobbling up my storage.  I try to build all my fire in one spot, but it can become hard to target the active fire after a while.  I'm up for anything to fix this.

maybe they could just add a realistic approach to this problem.

picking up the dang burnt out logs and tossing them out would easily fix this...
or making it to where the logs burn to an ash. realistically, theres a tree outside my house thats fallen. all we can do is cut and burn it. and when we have these bonfires, theres nothing left of the logs by the time its over. its just ash in the old fire pit. so, yeah. thats what should happen on this game too, i think. after a fire burns out youre left with a pile of ash.

59 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

maybe they could just add a realistic approach to this problem.

picking up the dang burnt out logs and tossing them out would easily fix this...
or making it to where the logs burn to an ash. realistically, theres a tree outside my house thats fallen. all we can do is cut and burn it. and when we have these bonfires, theres nothing left of the logs by the time its over. its just ash in the old fire pit. so, yeah. thats what should happen on this game too, i think. after a fire burns out youre left with a pile of ash.

Unless wind blows the fire out (leaving charred logs), turning it into a pile of ash at the end is a great idea. It'd be very interesting to see the pile of ash implemented!

if your fire is simply blown out by the wind, you should be able to pick up and re-use whats left of the logs with a lower duration, depending on how long they were previously burning. your hands would get ashy, but that can be done.

3 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

after a fire burns out youre left with a pile of ash.

Well, the old mechanics kind of simulated  a complete burning of the wood to a bit of coal and ash in my opinion... at least I personally interpreted the campfires' disappearances this way.  Always thought the remains were blown away by the wind and/or covered by newly fallen snow.

That being said, I very much liked the old system and really hope campfires will become non-persistent again in the future. 

3 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

if your fire is simply blown out by the wind, you should be able to pick up and re-use whats left of the logs with a lower duration, depending on how long they were previously burning. your hands would get ashy, but that can be done.

Especially when you accidentally build your fire on a lake and need to quickly relocate it to shore! :silly:

Ah, fun adventures in the outdoors ^_^

1 minute ago, cekivi said:

Especially when you accidentally build your fire on a lake and need to quickly relocate it to shore! :silly:

Ah, fun adventures in the outdoors ^_^

I think building a fire on the lake should cause the ice to crack and break if youre standing near it.. i'm guilty of this, myself. built a fire underneath the train bridge near the dam, to get out of the wind. nothing happened :P

Just now, Tbone555 said:

I think building a fire on the lake should cause the ice to crack and break if youre standing near it.. i'm guilty of this, myself. built a fire underneath the train bridge near the dam, to get out of the wind. nothing happened :P

I am 100% positive the devs WILL do this and WON'T annouce this, just to **** with us. And you know, I kind of love them for that.

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

I am 100% positive the devs WILL do this and WON'T annouce this, just to **** with us. And you know, I kind of love them for that.

i won't be building any more fires on open water, that's for sure! :P

2 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

i won't be building any more fires on open water, that's for sure! :P

I just imagined a random youtuber doing a Let's Play of TLD building a fire on the coast on Coastal Highway or somethin', not realizing how the fire weakened the ice around him/her He/she suddenly suffers from a break-in and in the distance, a developer, most likely Raphael sings;

I'm assuming that persistent burnt out campfires are temporary.

But in the meantime I've been using them to my benefit to mark paths to the famrhouse in PV from pretty much everywhere. It definitely helps navigating foggy days when there is a path of burnt out campfires and brands to follow.

Yes, I'm a litterbug! BUT, it's biodegradable :P

I'm living now on the Jackrabbit Hill and there is no static cooking station. So i make campfire outside the house.But it's frustrating to search any day an other good place for the fire because i can't use the same place from yesterday.

So please make campfire re-use able or make them vanish in a short time.

Thanks

On 24.5.2016 at 8:30 AM, cekivi said:

So, I got to play some more over the Victoria Day weekend and encountered some things in the game that still bug me. The ones intrinsic to the new build (e.g. what to do with used brands) have already been mentioned but one that annoys me is how old fires remain persistent. If you're camping in an area for several days and don't want to keep your fire going you'll soon have multiple burnt out fires. It's worse if you're in an area with only one good shelter (e.g. the tail section) where your fires may overlap the old ones. For simplicity, the object for the burnt out fire should either disappear over time (perhaps with you helping?) or be something the player can interact with to relight. Rekindling a fire may even warrant a 5% fire starting bonus since the ground should already be fairly dry from having had a previous fire lit on it. Just something to reduce clutter on the various maps.

Do campfires and brands remain if you leave the area and then come back? Has anyone tested this I always assumed that  they disappear when you change areas.

On May 24, 2016 at 1:30 AM, cekivi said:

I agree with rekindling old fires for sure. Plus five percent chance to start if the pit has been used in the last 12 hours, something like that.

On 24. maj 2016 at 8:30 AM, cekivi said:

since the ground should already be fairly dry from having had a previous fire lit on it. 

what if its not dry it has been snowing and raining on last campfire (outside) it will be difficult right? sounds good for inside cabins

19 hours ago, vancopower said:

Do campfires and brands remain if you leave the area and then come back? Has anyone tested this I always assumed that  they disappear when you change areas.

Currently they stay forever.

But let me just say THANKS to the folks at Hinterland for swapping in a new model for burned out fires.  It's not yet the fancy thing folks were hoping for, but at least it's shorter so we can target the active fire.  My cave-dwelling playthrough is really happy!

Archived