Question for the Community re: Custom Code sharing

Custom Code Sharing -- Do you use this?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hi,

the code itself is usefull for the player. to share it, I've never shared it.

I wrote the code on paper preventing if  I died to adjust the settings (the first years). now, I'm used to play only custom mode, so no pb (even if I'm pretty sure to never be on the exact same settings each game. I think to know the code when you died is usefull.

I see some players sharing the code, but to be frank I never used it, because I don't know where it leads.

so, I think the sharing functionality is not so usefull, and players can share it by other means.

Edited by bascolais
grammar & sentence
  • Upvote 1

I'm a fairly new TLD player (finished Wintermute Episode 4 recently) and have been experimenting with different difficulty levels in Survival mode but the biggest challenge is that the default difficulty level goes up in pretty big steps that is why the custom settings are welcome. Saving your own codes and copying codes from others seems like a feature I'd like to keep.

Not sure what the actual technical challenge is but it shouldn't be a big loss if the previous generation of codes simply made the cougar setting to default to off.

I don't use it personally too much, but I know a lot of streamers will share their settings so their viewers can try the same settings. It's a really nice community-enhancing feature.

I mostly play on the preset difficulties, but if/when I start getting into custom runs, I'd definitely start writing down my settings' code so I can play the same later. There are SO many settings, it's really hard to remember what you chose for everything short of screen-shotting all the settings you chose and that's no good.

• Upvote 3

On 7/14/2024 at 12:57 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Before people get too upset or jump to conclusions -- we haven't made any decisions. Just trying to gather more feedback! 

I love how you interact with the community recently - being heard really makes a difference!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RaukGorth said:

I love how you interact with the community recently - being heard really makes a difference!

I wanted to say that also some time before. I really enjoy how Raph interact with us, the community. The Forum is much more interesting and it feels like much more alive. Thank you Raphael for your commitment here :)

• Upvote 3

• Hinterland
46 minutes ago, RaukGorth said:

Thank you for that! Trying to be more present and give folks what is hopefully an extra reason to hang out here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 5

When I tried the sandbox however many years ago now I thought it was a good idea but I never used it since I was still exploring what things were like. I imagine I would have used it if I continued to play. Either way doesn't matter to me though unless you add custom settings to the story mode(unless that already exists? I hope it does. I haven't played story mode yet)

• 2 weeks later...

I think what would be more interesting than setting codes was if you could share world seeds. That way you and your friend could play on the same world and compare how you do with the exact same loot drops.

Could make for some fun streamer collabs as well.

Edited by FlamingFuball
  • Upvote 1

I mean... the game world isn't really procedurally generated.  Yes, some elements (such as item placement) are RNG rolls/loot table selections... but I don't think that's really equivalent.

As far as I can see... the Custom Codes are a great way to share the unique experiences particular to very specific combinations of environment settings/behavioral parameters (be it animal or weather).

(I suppose one could say that the Custom Settings Code is essentially the TLD version of "world seed")

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 2

I use it all the time, but I don't share my codes because they're hard to read (I1l all look the same; there are other characters with this problem) and even more because I can't put the code into a clipboard so I can paste it here. I'd love to share some of the custom codes I've come up with for tweaking the game, but doing so is extremely difficult. Best way from UI perspective would be allowing the codes to be copy-pasted into and out from the clipboard.

Edited by stratvox
tyop
  • Upvote 3