= Ptarmigan Haven!!!

= Glimmer Fog Haven as well.  Lets add on Timberwolves - lots of 'em.

Just got to the Transfer Pass transition.  Came in from ZoC.  Love the roadway along the cliff!

Love the new waterfalls.  Still playing...

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for starting this thread!

Initial Thoughts ....

Really Beautiful Region (when first entering from the cave and walking forward, it  was close to breath-taking)

Definitely seems like a mix of Ash Canyon & Hushed River at this point, not my favorite regions, but I like the challenge so far. 

I've not found a really good place to make a "base", even on Pilgrim where the wolves and bears are not aggressive.  The small cabins are cute, but very limited for a lengthy stay. I've found a really nice area with a warm cave and easy access to deer (& rabbits??), cattails and lots of firewood, but it might be a dead end as far as exploring outward.

I've also come across a couple of places where there's a gap in the path/road that certainly looks "jumpable", but I chickened out because it might end up as death ( Astrid/Will can't "jump") . 

Need more charcoal .... 

...Kudos to Hinterland!! 

• Upvote 2

Started a new stalker run in transfer pass when the update dropped.  after looting the airfield I headed towards the cave to the mine region.  By chance I decided to head to the control tower which triggered all 3 tales to begin, so do remember to do this rather than going straight to the new region if you want to start the tale!

Spoiler

I didn't expect that cave to lead directly to the new region now too! what a journey that is!

I then managed to find my way to the weather station and start the new tale, before getting low on food and having to goat down to the lower levels.  Cue 

Spoiler

TIMBERWOLVES!!! used most of my rifle ammo, 2 noisemakers, 3 flare shells and a stim, and still they kept coming...

In desperation as my last torch burned down I goated down a 200m cliff, and then frantically found and crafted some old man's beard to avoid infection.  found a little rock dugout shelter and slept for two hours with a coal fire to get a tiny bit of health, then realised I was right by a proper cave entrance- safety!  Definitely my most perilous escape in TLD.  Probably not wise to go into the new area without the tech backpack, crampons, moose satchel and more ammo, but I'm glad I didn't as that was a great evening's gaming, and I am fully invested in this new survivor now after getting through that.

• Upvote 3

My view of the map is that it combines all the harsher maps in the game. It desolates like Bleak Inlet and Forsaken Airfield. It has many different bridges and climbs like Hush River and Ash Canyon. It cold as Timberwolf Mount., Bleak Inlet, Forsaken Airfield, and Black Rock combine. The most forgiven part is the weather unpredictability like Pleasant Valley and what I experience at Zone of Contamination. The locations on the map are a mix bag or the lack of locations. You have the Weather Station which is not really rewarding once you get up there, like there's a workbench in the hangar like building and one explorable interior building. The valley section is full of animals, and you can live out there with the only cabin in that section of the area. The three cabins on the winding mountain road feels natural and good place. The cabin at the unmark settlement, which just be called the Avalanche Aftermath has a cabin that is unique to explore and the doors that lead into the snow is funny. The cavern system is a complex maze that I thought I was looping at some points. Overall, it better than Forsaken Airfield but seems bit of a down grade from Zone of Contamination. 

It seems you're not supposed to go up right away if you want to reach the weather station. But I haven't quite figured out the map yet. The lower path has a nice place to stay with food nearby.

They've really outdone themselves with the ice caves and the transition cave to ZoC. Looks much more natural than previous caves. Even the ice caves in HRV.

I'm not a fan of the multiple 5-6 strong timberwolf packs camping paths you pretty much need to use though.

17 minutes ago, Serenity said:

It seems you're not supposed to go up right away if you want to reach the weather station. But I haven't quite figured out the map yet. The lower path has a nice place to stay with food nearby.

They've really outdone themselves with the ice caves and the transition cave to ZoC. Looks much more natural than previous caves. Even the ice caves in HRV.

I'm not a fan of the multiple 5-6 strong timberwolf packs camping paths you pretty much need to use though.

Yay, after playing the area for the story is complete lack luster. Also I played on the lowest difficult and seem more Timberwolf packs than any region in the game. It was shooting at them with both a piston and rifle just to get away from them as I became uncomfortable. 

Absolutely amazing imo, and while i also liked FA and ZoC alot, this one could easily be my favourite. Breathtaking views everywhere. Lots of ways to get around, little nooks to discover. Unpredictable Weather and gosh is that cold... regularly around -54 Degrees with mostly -18 and higher Windchill. Cold Meter on interloper is empty in like half a minute, torches wont help because of the wind. Not a surprise that its my fav Totft Area though, as i always prefer wilderness areas over industrial ones

Shelters are well spread out. Even quite many of them, how i feel. Went in blindly with my interloper and i had much less struggle to find safe places compared to my blind FA/ZoC runs. If coming from the transfer pass entrance, going west, straight or east doesnt matter. Easy to find shelters and explore from there. Cabin in the woods seems best, as it has an outdoor workbench with fire barrell, loads of animals and fishable ice nearby while being most central. Also a cave to stave off cabin fever, and another cave leading to other parts of the map. Only downside is that theres no bed, which takes a toll on the bedroll :P

Caves are as amazing as they are confusing. Much more realistic, given how many dead ends there are. And the new waterfalls are beautyful

Wildlife seems abundant in the woods, ive seen many deers, like 6 rabbits, a bear and several wolfs around that cabin. Ive never seen that many animals around on the same time on a 500+ day loper. Food is much sparser on the higher areas, though

Cant say much about the size. Estimated from going around and map here and there, it feels like its (unfortunately) the shortest of the new areas, but only slightly smaller than ZoC. Could be wrong though, im not through yet, just judging by how fast it is to move from A to B and by the discovery of every charcoal mapping. The latter could be misleading though, as everything is much higher and therefor more mapping area

I like how every 3 Totft Areas are not only connected by the transfer pass, but also by the cave system

The forest in the middle is in my favourite place in that area. Tight forest, lots of wildlife, mountains all around.. can easily see myself spending dozens of days there regurarly, hunting, fishing and crafting. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Shadox said:

Only downside is that theres no bed, which takes a toll on the bedroll :P

Spoiler

There is a bed and storage containers in the room behind the door, which you unlock by doing the story.

Later Thoughts ...

Finished the challenge this morning. Still a bit confused about the  intended purpose of the  machine & bad guys/good guys.

Ending "journey" seemed forced and almost annoyingly drawn out (but with clear "oh, I need to pick these things up and go here " hints" ... until the end-ish part where I somehow fell down a weird overhang, with minor damage and took quite a while to re-orient myself while inexplicably hauling a heavy hammer). & duh! forgot where the heck was that bunker.

Can not imagine playing this out on any level but Pilgrim, as death awaits at every turn & I can barely walk through Mystery Lake on Voyager without fading into the Long Dark

Love the challenge of conquering the caves -- LOVE the little cabin in the "Giant's Thumbprint" area & how nice it would be as a getaway (except for spraining every limb trying to figure out the hill area & climbs directly above it)

I still want to go back and see if I can make that jump over the broken roadway below Cabin "A"

Final Thought ...

The Far Territories are truly fantastic for the story-line and as a challenge to complete, but I don't feel that I would ever make any area there a long-term place to stay and make "home" -- just too harsh, industrial (excepting Sundered) & stark/bleak overall.

Kudos to Hinterland! Well Played! 

3 hours ago, twyn1 said:

Later Thoughts ...

Finished the challenge this morning. Still a bit confused about the  intended purpose of the  machine & bad guys/good guys.

Yeah I kind of got that too. The story is kind of nothing. What exactly is even the mystery or even the solution to the mystery? It went over my head and left me wanting.

Yeah, the overall story is a bit disappointing. I enjoy doing the tales for the gameplay and giving me something to do. And some aspects of the final tale like the foreman chasing Rüdiger around are nice, but nothing in the background story is explained. I really wanted an answer about what they were doing exactly, but all we got was more crazy manifestos.

• Upvote 1

Just finished the Tale, and gosh, that Area is much bigger than i initially thought. In the ~30 Days ive been there, i constantly was around 30-50,% health because its just crazy cold and windy all the time on interloper.

I also like the fact that timberwolfs are just around the northern side of the map, making it easy to avoid them

Cant say anything about the new gear, because the only thing i found on my interloper there was ruined tactical gloves. But thats to expect when playing interloper

Loved this area from the very beginning. So far also my favourite Totft Area. For my taste its perfect, and i'll return to it soon

I still hope that more areas will follow, and that hinterland keeps making dlc's. Seriously, i'd even pay the 20€ price for an area like this alone, given how good it is

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2024 at 10:36 PM, twyn1 said:

Can not imagine playing this out on any level but Pilgrim, as death awaits at every turn & I can barely walk through Mystery Lake on Voyager without fading into the Long Dark

Yeah, on Interloper, past 50 days, it's tough. Very cold, timberwolves are a bitch to deal with.

I failed once, need to bring travois with more supplies next time.

-t

Finally finished exploring SP with my junior explorer ( Scurvo, 107 days Loper ) and I have to say: HL level design never, ever leaves us wanting, what a masterpiece of a region. 👏 

It's absolutely gorgeous, if I had to guess this is one of the regions where the modelling folks got closest to the concept art they were shown. I love the forested valley and the Last Cabin, there's fishing available, outdoor workbench and plenty of game to be had. Cabin itself is different from the basic presets we get on older regions, I just wish it was transitionless like the cabins in FA. Other than that, top marks.

The multiple ways in which the region interconnects and the abandoned mine were awesome surprises and aha moments, I just kept getting a feeling of awe whenever I found a path I had previously scouted as possible from afar a few days prior. Timberwolf pass is also brilliant, getting inside the snowed in cabin by the window and the trolly doors downstairs made me chuckle. Not thrilled they were there, but at least there's plenty of locations where you don't run into those annoying boys.

Overall, the region alone makes the update more than worthy. Well done HL.  Now excuse me as I have to bring the big dawg, Will F. McKenzie to explore the region.

Spoiler

PS: I was confident we would have a way of destroying/turning off the machine after the last tale, a bit miffed I can't get rid of Glimmer fog. Tale was cool, but It left me with more questions than answers.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, turtle777 said:

need to bring travois with more supplies next time.

This is possible but very difficult and tedious; I would not recommend it for Sundered Pass.

Travois is usable once in SP, but it isn't possible to bring one directly from any other region without it being packed. You would need to pack/carry one to SP or craft one into SP. I would also recommend against Travois in Sundered Pass itself, given:

Travois cannot be used while:

• rope climbing
  • through caves/mines/indoors areas
  • "one way" routes: e.g. a steep terrain, drop-downs (e.g. falling from a higher overhanging terrain to a lower one), or cracked road/terrain/doodads blocking the path or requiring Crouching

In my opinion Sundered Pass is a:

Spoiler

"crescent shaped" region, and the fastest ways to navigate are via a rope climb, cave network, and both routes "around" these obstacles to circumnavigate the region require either a Rope Climb, crossing a broken road gap or ledge drop-off (non-Travois passable while packed)

It is still possible to use Travois despite these obstacles, like in other Travois-unfriendly areas, but it requires (tedious, slow and considerable risk to Freezing/Weather/predators):

1. Drag Travois to obstacle
  2. Fully unloading Travois
  3. Packing empty Travois
  4. Carrying the empty Travois across/through obstacle
  5. Re-deploying Travois on the other side
  6. Make repeated trips ferrying the supplies between where you unloaded the Travois' contents and the Travois on the far side

If you do choose to do this, I would strongly encourage bringing Stones (in amounts of 50) as well as fuel (ideally Coal), so that you can build Rock Cache(s) and stay warm at these obstacles, transfer your resources into the Rock Cache, carry your (packed) Travois across the obstacle, and then ferry supplies between the Travois and Rock Cache much quicker than picking items up manually. This will save you a lot of time, cold damage, and tedium clicking: especially if you intend to bring many small non-stacking items.

Additonally, Sundered Pass features a large number of

Spoiler

Timber Wolves, which are difficult and dangerous to use a Travois near, since the player is unarmed while using a Travois and requires playing the "drop Travois" animation before you can ready a weapon. If you do do this, I would strongly recommend picking up your Travois with the weapon you intend to fight Timberwolves with in-hand. This will cause your character to already be holding this weapon when they drop the Travois, which will save you precious time needing to draw the weapon.

Oh, that was not my experience. I got a ton of the glimmer fog while there. It absolutely tanks the performance of my puny PC, that also happens in FA and ZoC ( specially near the concentrator ).

I saw some people post bug reports for it but they all seem to have stronger rigs, so I don't think a bug report is justifiable in my case. I'm running an old 1060 and a Ryzen 1400 so I guess that's kinda expected with the hardware. 

16 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

I'm running an old 1060 and a Ryzen 1400

Yeah, that's ought to give ya some problems.

I do feel like the Travois should be usable in a sense for rope climbs.

in actual mountain/rock climbing, you don't scale up with your supplies, you tie a rope to them and leave them down there, climb up, and then pull the rope up, acting like a pulley. this could be replicated in the game by perhaps tying the end of the already existing rope to the travois (I think maybe our bag would work better) and then climbing up the rope, than pulling the rope up and the bag with it. Or, if the Devs feel like there needs to be some sort of price, maybe you could need an extra rope or maybe a specific rope to tie to the supplies before tying the rope to your waist and climbing up, pulling the supplies up after.

You could also add weight into the equation, maybe needing to keep your supplies at a certain threshold or you risk pulling yourself off the edge when pulling supplies up. similar to the current weight mechanic for climbing.

• Like 1