Best resources in Forlorn Muskeg

I'd say cat tails,birch bark and wolf meat are all pretty plentiful in forlorn..   

Marsh ridge is a great place to chill out for a while,once you get rid of the moose anyway..

Milton basin is a great place as long as you can keep warm enough..  moose,deer,and birch bark around. A nice cosy cave ,or the ruined hut with the burner in both make good places to chill out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pyroxene said:

@LeeandaOkay, thanks. I think about creating a save where I hang out in Milton Basin/Forlorn Muskeg 

You can live on just birch bark if necessary, depending on what level you're playing on... There are bunnies in Milton basin too but if you're playing loper then I'm not sure there are any matches around..

40 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

You can live on just birch bark if necessary, depending on what level you're playing on... There are bunnies in Milton basin too but if you're playing loper then I'm not sure there are any matches around..

Not a problem. Pilgrim run.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 2:39 PM, Leeanda said:

There might be one in forlorn ... In a small cave  sort  of on the ice ,slightly south of poachers camp.

You mean here?

I'm not sure I know of a cave in FM that's "sort of on the ice"... 🤔

Screenshot2024-05-21at08_42_48.thumb.png.116a3a39b5c2b1b11db956b6ff5276d3.png

1 minute ago, PilgrimReaper said:

You mean here?

I'm not sure I know of a cave in FM that's "sort of on the ice"... 🤔

Screenshot2024-05-21at08_42_48.thumb.png.116a3a39b5c2b1b11db956b6ff5276d3.png

Not the best description I know, but I was trying to not send them too far south or east...  That is the mini cave I was referring to though..

• Upvote 1

Just now, Leeanda said:

Not the best description I know, but I was trying to not send them too far south or east...  That is the mini cave I was referring to though..

Hmm I remember that as being a corpse sitting against a tree... or am I confusing it with another spot...

1 minute ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Hmm I remember that as being a corpse sitting against a tree... or am I confusing it with another spot...

The corpse does sometimes sit next to the fallen  tree but he can also be in the cave near it..

Best resource in FM - Spencer’s Homestead and surrounding area.  There are two deer carcasses, cattails, a hammer and lots of coal and scrap metal (on PILGRIM), Dog Food cans, maybe a gun in the safe, a research book, and a prepper cache within short reach.  Wolves for meat up by the radio tower and prowling the lower homestead cabins.  Also a cave behind the tower.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Stick_icon.webp.65f00656f0062b17a6dfd4c0affabc04.webp
Yes, coal is perhaps the most efficient fuel... (burn time/weight ratio)
However, sticks are generally plentiful enough that if we are diligent about gathering them and stockpiling them at our encampments, I find we don't ever really need coal or to waste time & hatchet condition on chopping limbs.

The way I see it, the humble stick is the bedrock of the "survival economy" on Great Bear Island. :D 
Certainly in my opinion, one of the most underrated and undervalued resource available to us... in any region.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Stick_icon.webp.65f00656f0062b17a6dfd4c0affabc04.webp
Yes, coal is perhaps the most efficient fuel... (burn time/weight ratio)
However, sticks are generally plentiful enough that if we are diligent about gathering them and stockpiling them at our encampments, I find we don't ever really need coal or to waste time & hatchet condition on chopping limbs.

The way I see it, the humble stick is the bedrock of the "survival economy" on Great Bear Island. :D 
Certainly in my opinion, one of the most underrated and undervalued resource available to us... in any region.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

For me, coal is only for forging or extreme emergencies where I need a really hot fire really fast. 

I have a hard time passing up sticks when out and about (often to the detriment of my max weight carry limit). I love sticks. I crave sticks. I have huge piles of them at every camp. 

I don't feel bad about dropping 10 sticks to get below sprinting or climbing weight like I do if I have to drop coal or books (my favorite fire-starter). Sticks are super plentiful, respawn quickly, and use the least calories and energy to grab as I go through an area. No need to have a light source to go into a dark cave or mine to collect them.

I love sticks almost as much as I love Pancakes.

*Almost*. 🥞❤️🥞

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

For me, the "best resources" are whatever I happen to need at the time :)

I do like to use the forge there though (no cabin fever and a bed right there).

Edited by hozz1235

You could spend pretty much forever on Marsh Ridge even if you are playing with Scurvy. You have a warm loading screen cave, a relatively wind-protected outdoor cave to burn off Cabin Fever, birch bark, easy rabbit/bird hunting, no predators (minus the Uber eats moose on your doorstep), a forge/workbench a 1/4 days walk away, and fishing in Milton Basin. Playing interloper I rarely spend a lot of time in FM outside of forging, but when I stop at Marsh Ridge I usually end up staying a lot longer than I had planned.

To boot, the view isn't half bad either.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

In Forlorn, I find the scrub bushes that you can break up for multiple sticks and the cat-tails to be the best resources. Also coal & the Hammer if needed.

Playing on Pilgrim, I like to go around to the Shortwave Tower (East?) where a deer or two, rabbits and now Ptarmigans can be found. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, twyn1 said:

and now Ptarmigans can be found

Just letting people know (who may not already know)- Ptarmigan are only in the game if you have the Tales From The Far Territory DLC- they do not exist in the the base game without the DLC.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:10 AM, ManicManiac said:

I can tell you that I well remember years back when there was some serious discussion here about sticks, with a few vocal people saying they were way overpowered. 

It's a little hard to argue with that; you can basically survive almost anywhere using only sticks to provide fire, cooking, water, and heat from what I can see.

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

I can tell you that I well remember years back when there was some serious discussion here about sticks, with a few vocal people saying they were way overpowered. 

It's a little hard to argue with that; you can basically survive almost anywhere using only sticks to provide fire, cooking, water, and heat from what I can see.

sticks and stones may break my bones but how are you surviving off just sticks for warmth and water and stones for bunnies and deer? oh nevermind, you got scurvy. oh wait, still surviving with scurvy by all your needs met and birch bark tea?...well

but yeh, sticks are very valuable to me

I don't know if sticks are OP per se with the weight for burn time being what it is. Having said that, my 3 favorite fire fuels in order of preference are 1) sticks, 2) sticks, and 3) sticks. The biggest plus for me it it makes your fire exactly how hot you need it. Especially when harvesting carcasses, having really hot fires can mask changing weather until your fire suddenly gets blown out. With sticks and a fire at +1C I can see immediately if the wind has shifted or is picking up. Gives me more time to make a get away safely.

15 hours ago, Lunerse said:

sticks and stones may break my bones but how are you surviving off just sticks for warmth and water and stones for bunnies and deer? oh nevermind, you got scurvy. oh wait, still surviving with scurvy by all your needs met and birch bark tea?...well

but yeh, sticks are very valuable to me

I dunno, you might try reading what I wrote. Who said anything about only stones for bunnies and deer? I didn't.  I'm strictly talking about using only sticks to fuel your fires, which are used for warmth, making water, and cooking. 

Don't put words in other people's mouths. It's not a good look.

• Upvote 2