TALES, Part Five, tease...

On 5/3/2024 at 1:32 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

I said *bite-proof*, not *barely bite-resistant*, lol. 

Ballistic vest prevents bleeding chest wounds 100%. I want a Joe Brown helmet that gives me a bit more than 4% protection- give me at least a 50-50 chance of a bear or cougar not splitting my noggin in two.

I tested the Ballistic Vest in TWM against the bear near Crystal Lake...I survived 4 back to back maulings...and died only because a blizzard stopped me from making it back to Mountaineers Hut.

I think it'll do just fine against a Cougar.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

tested the Ballistic Vest in TWM against the bear near Crystal Lake...I survived 4 back to back maulings...and died only because a blizzard stopped me from making it back to Mountaineers Hut.

I think it'll do just fine against a Cougar.

True, it is very effective against bears which tend to cause chest wounds, and moose, which tend to tap dance on your torso. In my testing, it seemed to have little protection against wolves or timberwolves though, other than maybe less torn clothing like coats and shirts. But I consistently sustained wounds on arms, legs, and the head. IRL cougars tend to kill by biting the heads or face to crush the head, or the neck to rip out the throat. So, it depends on how real-world "realistic" they made the attack. Which is why I want a helmet to protect my pretty face. 😅 And the hardhat only gives 4% protection, and I am wondering if it is enough to make it worth going into the ZoC to grab before heading into the new Mountain Pass region and dealing with a cranky kitty. 😾

I would kind of expect a caving/climbing helmet in a region where climbers might have been, but it is just a wish made with a bit of humor. :)

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 5:01 PM, Leeanda said:

A rocket launcher would be awesome lol😁.   Slice and dice any predator in seconds

On 5/3/2024 at 6:34 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

I don't want to worry anyone, but the Cougar attack is...terrifying. 😬

Some animals think they can outsmart me. Maybe maybe.....

I've yet to meet one that can outsmart the bullet.

Edited by Bearimpaler101
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Sounds like a good place to bring out old "sasha". If we end up getting a trader maybe we could pay 400,000$ to fire it for 12 seconds!

You'd need a lot of gold nuggets to get that much money😊

what you will bring with yourself venturing in the new region ? i am playing a custom stalker with a few interloper elements (and a slower item decay because i like to collect food). Since is a 800 days old game i dont want to take risks... so Vaughn's Rifle with at least 30 rounds, some good wood (at the end freezing is always the bigger risk), at least 6 cloth, 2 leather, 6 antibiotics, at least 6 bandages, 6 flares, one 100% for each repair item, modified bedroll... i dont want to die.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frantz70 said:

what you will bring with yourself venturing in the new region ? i am playing a custom stalker with a few interloper elements (and a slower item decay because i like to collect food). Since is a 800 days old game i dont want to take risks... so Vaughn's Rifle with at least 30 rounds, some good wood (at the end freezing is always the bigger risk), at least 6 cloth, 2 leather, 6 antibiotics, at least 6 bandages, 6 flares, one 100% for each repair item, modified bedroll... i dont want to die.

Any stims?  Birch bark too maybe...    

24 minutes ago, Frantz70 said:

I'd also suggest starting a side run to check it out first.. I've just beaten my record and I'm not going to lose it yet so I'll be doing another run there first..

Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

'd also suggest starting a side run to check it out first.. I've just beaten my record and I'm not going to lose it yet so I'll be doing another run there first..

Though my preferred experience mode in Survival is vanilla Stalker (no custom settings), I pretty much always start a disposable Pilgrim Run to explore new regions before taking a long-time survivor into the region. FA killed me off a few dozen times in Pilgrim and Voyageur before I ever dared to take a Stalker save there, and starting there in Stalker did not work out well, lol. 

I'll be doing the same for the new region- a new Pilgrim run that I don't hold dear will go there first to see what the terrain is like, what the looting possibilities are like, and what shelter is available. And then I hope my current long Stalker run has enough stashed in FA, Transfer Pass, and the ZoC to deal with it.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Though my preferred experience mode in Survival is vanilla Stalker (no custom settings), I pretty much always start a disposable Pilgrim Run to explore new regions before taking a long-time survivor into the region. FA killed me off a few dozen times in Pilgrim and Voyageur before I ever dared to take a Stalker save there, and starting there in Stalker did not work out well, lol. 

I'll be doing the same for the new region- a new Pilgrim run that I don't hold dear will go there first to see what the terrain is like, what the looting possibilities are like, and what shelter is available. And then I hope my current long Stalker run has enough stashed in FA, Transfer Pass, and the ZoC to deal with it.

With the weather in forsaken I can well imagine how many died there...  My son quit his save because he got stuck inside for nearly a week.   They're Definitely not places to take lightly.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'd also suggest starting a side run to check it out first.. I've just beaten my record and I'm not going to lose it yet so I'll be doing another run there first..

Nah that would ruin the experience, the emotion, so i prefer to run the risk to lose my 800 days character than losing the breeze of going into the unknown FEARING the worst.  The things i remember the most (from so many years of playing TLD) are some fights for survival, either the ones with a good ending or the ones with a very bad ending. 

Every time i wanted to go "light" into a region to be able to carry more loot i always risked to die (or actually i died) so this time i will carry an extra bit of equipment (but i dont know if i will carry a lantern...) 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Frantz70 said:

Nah that would ruin the experience, the emotion, so i prefer to run the risk to lose my 800 days character than losing the breeze of going into the unknown FEARING the worst.  The things i remember the most (from so many years of playing TLD) are some fights for survival, either the ones with a good ending or the ones with a very bad ending. 

Every time i wanted to go "light" into a region to be able to carry more loot i always risked to die (or actually i died) so this time i will carry an extra bit of equipment (but i dont know if i will carry a lantern...) 

I can understand that..  I would usually but for this run ,it's a second attempt because I lost my last attempt at 1000 days due to the fail to save bug..   it took a while for me to get over that and try again..

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 10:15 AM, ManicManiac said:

I mean, just imagine wandering too close to and past a tree, having neglected to look up because we are too preoccupied with looking out for wolves on the ground... and then, "Death from above"  :D 

When I've said "it would be cool to have something in trees & a reason to look up," .... this was not what I meant. 🤣😬

Edited by Sherri
  • Upvote 4

I am very glad that I've been playing with looking up and around rocky parts and trees....because in reality why wouldn't you?

There's been sounds in the game forever that sound like something knocking a rock against a rock, or small rocks falling.

When those sounds happen I try to look around and up because it seems natural.

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2024 at 7:51 AM, ThePancakeLady said:

On 5/3/2024 at 7:35 AM, Leeanda said:

I have several friends on Steam who only play Pilgrim, and have thousands of hours into the game in Pilgrim only. […] Dying of cold or dehydration seems to be the most common way they fade into The Long Dark,

LOL, it takes some special skill to die of blizzards in Pilgrim AFTER thousands of hours of experience. I can not fathom…

-t

6 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

LOL, it takes some special skill to die of blizzards in Pilgrim AFTER thousands of hours of experience. I can not fathom…

-t

I haven't except on purpose, but everyone has different play styles.. besides that some areas like forsaken ,even BlackRock can get exceedingly cold ..   I've seen plenty of long time players get lost in places they say they know well during blizzards too.. admittedly not pilgrim but all other difficulties, so it's perfectly plausible to..

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

To be fair... 
I don't think it matters what mode one is playing on.  I think that if a person is caught in a blizzard unprepared and ill equipped... or just happen to get turned around when trying to tank the blizzard trying to get where they're going, one can always get stuck in bad circumstances and face a fade-out.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

To be fair... 
I don't think it matters what mode one is playing on.  I think that if a person is caught in a blizzard unprepared and ill equipped... or just happen to get turned around when trying to tank the blizzard trying to get where they're going, one can always get stuck in bad circumstances and face a fade-out.

Usually is the same chain of events, that can kill even an expert player.   You are trying to get to a place, blizzard arrives (or you stumble on a bear), and you dont get wood before is too late because you think you can reach a safe spot. So you get lost, you start risking to go in hypothermia and you cant stop anymore to collect wood because you would froze to death, then you continue to walk desperately to reach a cover. 

But even stopping is VERY risky if you dont have enough wood... Happened to me to be awake before dawn with wood already burned and nowhere to go in the dark ...

But if you are not in a hurry you can easily evade all this chain of events. If you are equipped and cautious is very hard to be killed even at Stalker (never played Interlooper because i like loot too much). BTW painting direction signals on trees saved me many times. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Not necessarily true... @turtle777
I think your assumptions about the playstyle of all "expert" players is a bit of a fallacy. :) 
Not all experienced players will feel the need to always lug around coal.

I often go for rather long stretches without carrying around any coal...

If a player plans a route carefully and knows the routes well, I find that carrying coal isn't really necessary at all. :D 

Yes, it's a nice safety net... but some may find that it's not really needed (especially when looking to save on weight as one roams from place to place, "prospecting" along the way).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 5