What’s the most TLD has ever scared you?

I was at Timberwolf mountain and I had just killed a moose and while I was harvesting it I took a sip of water when the harvesting was almost done and when it finished a bear had snuck up behind me and roared and charged at me I was still drinking water and I was quickly trying to put my cup down and not spill water everywhere but it was too late I got mauled 

• Upvote 1

I don't like the bears off passive so I started a custom stalkerish run with bears totally off in the settings.. I'd already been walking around crystal lake and the birch area so thought I only had to listen out for wolves... when I started up the save one morning I was quite happily walking towards the forest when I suddenly heard a very loud roar right next to me..  I had no weapon on so I was already panicking .I span round trying to find it but couldn't see anything.. paused the game briefly to try and think, then went back in to still hear it roaring..it was right next to me somewhere but I just couldn't see anything.. Ibeing the chicken I am I just paused it and switched it off.i then deleted the save and went back to custom pilgrim lol..

This was several days after the last bug fix... 

I thought the invisible bear in mystery lake was creepy but that scared the wotsits out of me😁

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

I had a simelar experience as @Just some guy being a dude, where I had shot and killed a wolf right near an ice fishing hut in Crumbling highway region (the one with the quonset garage) and finished harvesting it.  When I got up a bear reared up just in front of me and I shot it square in the face with my only flare shell, stunning it.  It ran off, stumbled and died right next to the hut.  My younger siblings had been watching at the time and they full out screamed when they heard the roar, making it even more intense.

In that same world (my first longish stalker run), I walked outside the Garage and saw a moose not too far away, and because it didn't notice me I went back inside, loaded up one of my last rifle bullets in my damaged and precious rifle, and walked outside.  When I walked outside I couldn't see the moose, so I walked over to where I'd last seen it and just over a snow bank there it was, stomping the ground.

I was already holding the rifle, but by the time the gun was on my shoulder it was charging at me.  Shot it in the head, dropping it at my feet.

That run was so epic 😁(memories...)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Walking out of the Processing Plant and meeting the bear head on right at the corner of the building.  Scared me so bad I somehow caused Will to jump back and get stuck right in a pile of debris in the yard such they he couldn't move at all as the bear charged forward.  I thought he was absolutely done for... then, I laughed so hard when I realized there was no way for the bear to reach him either.  Run would have still been basically over since I couldn't get him unstuck except that there had been no saves since the point when I had first entered the processing plant so it was just a matter of reloading.

I still have no idea what I pressed on the controller that caused him to move in that manner.  I've tried several times to get him into the same spot deliberately and I haven't been able to repeat it at all.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

Recently, I was heading to the dam from winding River so I thought I would be smart and avoid the wolf by taking the path higher in the rocks. The wolf still saw me and was following me. It stopped making noise so I thought it stopped following me but when I stopped to repair a piece of clothing I heard his little foot pads in the snow running at me. Scared the absolute hell out of me because there was no time to react. Plus he wasn't making any noise whatsoever except for his running.

• Upvote 2

I'd just arrived in HRV, for the first time in that run, and I was doing my usual arrival task of clearing out a few wolves near the cave I use as my main base there, before I drop a coupla deer to start establishing the base camp. An extra wolf had spawned behind the cave and I dealt with it easily enough, but I was losing light by the time I harvested it and the weather had suddenly grown belligerent, so I sorta hugged close to the cliff wall and quickly made my way back to base.

I rounded the last tree closest to the cave and found myself almost literally face to face with a bear, barely more than a body-length away, and apparently almost as surprised as me. Clearly the scent of the two wolf carcasses I'd already dragged back to the cave, and the third I was carrying, had been enough to catch its attention and draw it out of its usual patrol territory, and the blustering wind had made it impossible for me to hear its approach. It reared up immediately, roaring furiously at me and giving me just enough time to deploy and draw my bow, and as soon as it dropped to all fours I was able to score the single luckiest critical shot to the face in my entire TLD experience, dropping it right at my (invisible) feet.

Sure, my base cave was very well set up with a healthy meat pile just a day after arriving, but it took that whole day of harvesting and cooking my spoils for my RL body to recover from the massive adrenaline dump I got from the encounter. I've never experienced anything even close to that from any other game. That's immersion.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 2

Arrived in Mystery Lake from the Skeg, quickly dropped some gear off @ trappers cabin and headed up over the hill towards unnamed pond. It was just fading from dusk into night itself and as I got to the pond I see Mr/Mrs Bear. Well I didn't bring food with me and I could use some more guts to cure so lets blast this foo. I lure it back up past the hunters blind so it's now climbing up the hill towards me. I ninja myself in between some trees so if I get charged I can at least do the dance with em. 

BOOM! Oh yeah they didn't like that one, instantly charges towards me and as I prepare to take my second rifle shot I hear a completely different animal call. My animation does a full 180 and all of a sudden im getting turned into bone dust by a moose. Oh it doesn't end there.. I survive the trampling in a daze only for the bear to seal my fate. I got double whammied. The moose was so unexpected I had real adrenaline pumping through my veins lol.

Edited by GOROKIO
assumed the bears gender
  • Upvote 3

On 11/15/2023 at 3:13 PM, hozz1235 said:

That surprise wolf (and bark) when you come over a rise too quickly.  Still makes me jump.

Been playing this game for a coupla years now, almost 3000hrs logged, and I still jump way too often when I hear that little bark, even when I'd already spotted the culprit. I feel kinda silly every time, but it's just part of the fun of the game now.  ^_^

Edited by artmunki
  • Upvote 3

The time I was most scared, in a slightly different way, was the time I was on a ledge halfway through a climb and then couldn't click on the mountaineering rope, couldn't find the clicker-thingy anywhere. It's happened a couple of times and I thought I was a goner both times.Picturing myself stranded powerless on a rock and freezing into the long dark. I did eventually find the right pixel both times and got away ok, but I was so scared I'd lost my runs.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, xanna said:

The time I was most scared, in a slightly different way, was the time I was on a ledge halfway through a climb and then couldn't click on the mountaineering rope, couldn't find the clicker-thingy anywhere. It's happened a couple of times and I thought I was a goner both times.Picturing myself stranded powerless on a rock and freezing into the long dark. I did eventually find the right pixel both times and got away ok, but I was so scared I'd lost my runs.

Some of those ledges you have to get dangerously close to the edge  to grab the rope again... ,it's very unnerving..

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xanna said:

If that ever does happen you can launch yourself off the cliff, and grab the bottom of the rope right before you hit splat. It halts your momentum and initiates a new climb, then you simply climb the remaining 2 feet to the ground. High risk move, but if you have an autoclicker to spam the rope as you approach the hitbox, it really helps.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

If that ever does happen you can launch yourself off the cliff, and grab the bottom of the rope right before you hit splat. It halts your momentum and initiates a new climb, then you simply climb the remaining 2 feet to the ground. High risk move, but if you have an autoclicker to spam the rope as you approach the hitbox, it really helps.

If I tried that, that would immediately become my new answer to what has scared me the most. Terrifying!

• Upvote 2

Once while playing, I was climbing the stairs of the hunting lodge in Broken Railroad during an aurora.  The windows were glowing with an eerie green glow and as I reached the top of the stairs, I see the rocker chair silhouetted in the window and the damn things rocking!  Suddenly both my dogs jump up from the dog bed they were both snoozing on and started barking and snarling with their hackles raised intently staring at the screen.  Scared me so much I had to turn on all the lights in the house just to make sure nothing had gotten in.  Creeps me out every time I go there now...

• Upvote 3

On 6/13/2022 at 7:33 AM, ManicManiac said:

While it wasn't my first encounter with a bear... it was one of my earlier encounters and most memorable.

I was hunting the bear that liked to stalk through Hibernia on Desolation Point:

• I let it get too close; it started to charge
  • My shot was panicked and failed to bring it down
  • I back peddled to try and get another shot... heard ice cracking under my feet.
  • Got mauled...
  • Fell through the weak ice immediately after... pulled myself out (of course soaking wet and hypothermic)
  • Got mauled again, before I could even stumble away...
  • Very promptly died.  :D 

Never made those mistakes again.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On 11/17/2023 at 4:41 PM, ajb1978 said:

That will likely top my list of "dumbest reasons you've ever died".

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2023 at 12:41 AM, ajb1978 said:

I had to look for my jaw under my desk… perhaps this post rather belongs to the ‘Tips for new survivors…’ thread…?

any video of attempting and surviving this?

On 11/21/2023 at 4:59 PM, ajb1978 said:

Not my video but first one I found.

This is pretty amazing…

if I get it right, you still need to be within the weight limit to be able to catch it…, so all it helps with is to save some fatigue… quite a big risk for little gain I think.

looks awesome though:)

1 minute ago, AdamvR said:

This is pretty amazing…

if I get it right, you still need to be within the weight limit to be able to catch it…, so all it helps with is to save some fatigue… quite a big risk for little gain I think.

looks awesome though:)

Only time I ever use it is on speedruns, or in Story mode where I can drop a save at the top of the rope.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Only time I ever use it is on speedruns, or in Story mode where I can drop a save at the top of the rope.

I've accidentally flung myself off the top of a rope once or twice by missing my grab.  I was too stunned to even think about trying to grab the rope on the way down.  Hopefully, I won't need to ever use it, but it's worth remembering it as an option in case I mess up ever again.  Otherwise, I think I'll stick to old-fashioned goating my way down when a rope isn't an option. 😀