Make Tinder great again

BeardsAreFreeScarves

I still use tinder at level 5..  if you pick cat tails then why not use them,it's better than leaving them scattered all over the island..

I must admit that sometimes I move the papers around in houses to make it look like someone's been studying or catching up on the news lol..😁

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

using tinder as a fire fuel source, which I think makes sense

I agree it makes sense, maybe even just to add 1-2 minutes. at the same time, sticks are so abundant, it is not very much "needed" per se...
I'm using them after Level3 for marking routes in the snow/caves, dropping one every 7-8 steps - handy in fog or blizzard.

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 2

On 11/1/2023 at 2:20 PM, hozz1235 said:

Yeah, there are actually quite a few items in game that become obsolete (I'm thinking clothing now).  There is a mod that allows using tinder as a fire fuel source, which I think makes sense.

Obsolete clothing = cloth, which is never obsolete.  Socks always need repair and torches and snow shelters require it.  I do use tinder plugs and cat tail heads as trail markers a lot since they are each to gather at any place (even if I wind up breaking sticks), unlike spray paint which I don't usually carry on me.  Of course, the advantage of spray paint is that it places a marker on your map (if you're using charcoal to fill it in, which I usually don't bother with now that I know the maps).

Allowing for the use of cat tail heads to make torches (as suggested on another thread) seems like a good idea.  I'd hate it though if HL stopped allowing us to pull torches from fires as a result.  Perhaps they could disallow the breaking down of torches into sticks to make the practice or overloading a fire with sticks and then pulling tons of torches less beneficial as a rebalance if they allow us to craft torches from tinder.  Newsprint could also be used in the making of another type of insulating undershirt (perhaps a little heavier and less effective that the ptarmigan down one).

28 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Obsolete clothing = cloth, which is never obsolete.

I was specifically referring to the usefulness of clothing.

Sure, I get cloth is not obsolete.  With all the bedrolls, couches, pillows, drapes, beach-combing, etc., is it even possible to run out of cloth??

Edited by hozz1235

Just now, hozz1235 said:

I was specifically referring to the usefulness of clothing as clothes.

Sure, I get cloth is not obsolete.  With all the bedrolls, couches, pillows, drapes, etc., is it even possible to run out of cloth??

Depends on the zone you're in, doesn't it? and whether or not you have the tools to tear down bedrolls, couches, and pillows.

23 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Okay, I'm wrong.

Not saying you're wrong.  Over all the maps, it is virtually impossible to run out of cloth; but you know, I do tend to do one-zone challenges.  In many zones, finding excess clothing is a cause for intense celebration because it equals cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of times when I'm in a pinch and I need a few more minutes of fire but I only have tinder. It would be awesome if you could burn tinder for another 2 minutes of fire. I think, at the very least, tinder should slightly improve your fire starting chances even after fire starting level 3. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2023 at 4:52 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

use of cat tail heads to make torches (as suggested on another thread) seems like a good idea

I agree. that is a great idea. I'm never making torches, as I do not want to waste cloth on such a thing (there is a lot, i know, but still). If instead of cloth we could use cattail heads, maybe even 2 of them for torch, I'd probably make a few, and spend some of the fish oil on it. Otherwise, pulling them from the fire is the way to go...

Yes, some tinder items are useless after your fire level increases enough, other than using as bread crumb trails. (I use sticks for that, normally, because at least they're something useful & therefore it's not carrying weight for nothing)

I'd like to be able to craft them into fire logs.

• Upvote 1

This is the #1 reason I use the Fire Pack mod, personally. It breathes a ton of life into Tinder Plugs.

It also adds renewable firestarters, but unless you go for role-play where you regularly start tiny fires to cook what you need when you eat it (thereby completely nerfing 6-burner stoves), it's not gonna affect your game all that much. "Cook literally everything you have when it's sunny" is a rock-solid, time honored strategy that is gonna be tough to dethrone as one of the cornerstones of survival mode.

On 11/18/2023 at 11:12 PM, Enigmaecho said:

I’ve wished for flint for a long time so we have a renewable means of fire ignition aside the mag glass and it think it could maybe even help fix this with tinder,  turn tinder to char cloth or just require tinder when using flint as the ignition 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, or use tinder as a requirement for making a friction fire.