Best uses of new recipes?

AdamvR

I’ve only recently started experimenting with the new TFTFT recipes, and have been wondering what others have found to be the best uses for them (I haven’t yet gotten all alternate recipes) I’ve seen some earlier discussions which were mostly about what people do not like about them - this time I’d like to focus on which ones and how you are using mostly.

Some of my experiences:

- since calories are a non-issue after the initial challenges, I decided to largely disregard whether they add o or reduce calories of ingredients.

- As most ingredients are non-renewable, I think they are best used for their buffs, or other qualities for special situations - as opposed to replacing staples of cooked meat/fish.

- broth I find to be a great way to carry some heatable, non-smelling liquid for colder areas - similar to teas -, where birch bark is not easily available. It only needs salt in addition to ptarmigans. One piece of salt giving a 100 portions make it seem ‘almost renewable’.

- stews only need a little bit of flour in addition, to give the buff improved rest, without the more limited herbal teas, so I found it also helpful after losing a lot of condition.

- oatmeal were handy as-is at the beginning, as easily made, and weigh little uncooked.

others?

Edited by AdamvR

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I still don't really like the idea of these food items giving buffs/debuffs...
so for me, I'd only really "use them" for the roleplay value.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Have to agree with you on that...   I'm quite happy to make them just for the fun of it,and calories of course..  I'm not even sure which gives buffs or rebuffs. I just like porridge and hate wasting bunny meat.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

Are you not worried about them attracting predators? That seems to be my major concern about most pies…

I'm on pilgrim,but I don't think they give off much smell..  I've got six pies on me at present and that's just one on the smell detection.

• Upvote 2

On Interloper, I could almost argue that porridge is a superfood in the early game...it doesn't weigh much when uncooked, the oats are generally easy to find, and it gives the Warming Up benefit. The only limiting factor in its use is that it needs a pot to prepare.

I know some people will argue with me and claim that cattails are the Interloper Superfood, but not every map has large numbers of them, and they're not heatable.

• Upvote 3

I think the ingredients are plentiful right now, but I expect them to be scaled back and become rarer after this introductory phase (which seems to be the pattern for every other item I've seen introduced to the game over the years).

Once the recipes are made, they are cooked items, so I expect their rate of spoilage will be a non-issue once cooking level 5 is attained  (I've not attained cooking 5 yet in any of the short runs I've started in various parts of the map, so perhaps someone can confirm this notion).  Do they still give the buffs after spoiling once Level 5 cooking has been attained?

Anything we can find to cook helps us level up cooking quicker, so that's not a bad thing.  However, it is more efficient to level by just cooking the meats and canned goods as in the past; and then make bannock, pancakes and porridge with the found ingredients (flour, cooking oil, salt, & oats).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

They're absolutely delightful in Challenge modes. Some of the TFTFT content isn't available, some is. But the fact that Challenge modes are inherently temporary frees you up to use your resources liberally, and on a lucky run even wastefully. So you can really have fun with cooking with what's available.

Edited by ajb1978
typo
  • Upvote 3

BREAKING!
Breyerhouse Pie does not smell! :) (or does it...?)
At 7083 calories / kg it beats even salty crackers, so seems to be a great item for a long journey. (Forsaken Airfield Island to Ash Canyon GoldMine...?)
My only problem with it was, that I expected it to smell - like the other meat pies, which would kinda defeat the purpose..
So I made it just for fun, and was surprised to find that it does not show a smell icon, not even two of them does.

I've tried testing whether that is really the case, and am 90% certain, that it does not smell:
- the wolves do not seem to be coming/going when I pick it up/put down, like with fresh guts.
- but, when I press 3 (to drop decoy) it still drops it, which is a bit confusing... (previously it was a great way to keep pressing 3 until I dropped everything smelly; Fishing bait also does not seem to follow this rule, as it is not dropped as decoy, while definitely smelly...) Not sure if it is intended or a bug...
- also, I feel I've had more wolf encounters on my voyage than I expected, while carrying two pies with me... - not sure if that is only a perceptional distortion.
If it does indeed not smell, this can be a superfood for long trips...
Has anyone else tried it?

Edited by AdamvR

I have noticed some items don't register on the smell-o-meter, but still attract predators. Other pies have done this for me. I think they have to be almost rotten to show a line or something.

As for your main question, it's something I think about perhaps too much, so I will share :)

rabbit stew and pie are a pretty good deal on calories if you need them, and of course the pie has a nice bonus. You can get rabbits easily early and sort of bug in eating stew for a while if you find or make broth early. ptarmigan stew is similarly efficient, but you probably need a bow to stock up reliably compared to bunnies.

prepper's pie makes NOGOA settings a lot more interesting as a long term survival run, and one I am finally considering giving a go as a result. More health than a stim and lots more available.

stalker pie has a bizarre mix of bonuses that seem to support both going out hunting with ultralight loadout, or staying in and catching up on chores or something and avoiding cabin fever.

camber flight porridge gives a lot of bang for your buck, calorie wise, with easy to find ingredients. It also doesn't smell. This is probably the best travel dish.

The other recipes are more situational to your exact need and nothing stands out as particularly powerful. I haven't made fishcakes but I think it makes 4 of them? seems pretty efficient for having only one meat. probably best for making clothes in quonset for a long weekend.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BeardsAreFreeScarves said:

prepper's pie makes NOGOA settings a lot more interesting as a long term survival run, and one I am finally considering giving a go as a result. More health than a stim and lots more available.

This is a really good point, and I like the idea that a new recipe can 'unlock' a challenge for you by making it just a little bit more manageable. If you do try a NOGOA run, be sure to tell us how it goes!

I'm aware of someone (I can't remember who) using rosehip pies to max out a speedrun, since they mean you can keep running for longer. Great use for them.

• Like 1

When they first came out, I was all about finding the recipes and making everything.  With that done, I've reverted back to Vanilla foods (good ol' meat and water).  I've still got quite a stash of ingredients, just not using them anymore.  "Bang ain't worth the buck" to me.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 2:00 PM, hozz1235 said:

When they first came out, I was all about finding the recipes and making everything.  With that done, I've reverted back to Vanilla foods (good ol' meat and water).  I've still got quite a stash of ingredients, just not using them anymore.  "Bang ain't worth the buck" to me.

+1

The running Astrid almost never has all ingredients with her and the static Astrid doesn't need the buffs. ☠️