How did we end up going from 8-10 weeks to 6 months for one update?

It was planned to release an update every 8-10 weeks. We know that didn't work out... but how on earth did we end up with 6 months per update?

Part 4 was release on 21. June and part 5 is planned for the end of the year.
That's almost 3x the time planned for each update. How did this happen?

From what I see we will get 1 map + tale, Travois and the first person hands/gloves. That's really not that much content for 6 months of work. 

Edited by hipsu555
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

As much as i love this game and are gratefull to Hinterland for making this great survival game i have no idea what is wrong with the studio atm. I dont want to speculate much but a lot of ppl noticed the lacking in communication and failure to meet/ unable to set the deadlines and its a bit disturbing. At least we know that they want to/will finish the full update to survival and deliver ep 5 next year. Im not really optimistic about future updates tbh. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

They've had a lot of bugs to sort and fix...  it's perfectly understandable why they're doing them first..   personally I'm glad they are, I think they're much more important than new stuff.

All you have to do is look on the known issues pages and those threads to know how many people want them fixed..

I'm more than happy to wait for the updates if it means that everyone has better gameplay and less issues,some of which are game breaking .

A bit more info from them would've been nice I'll agree .

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I'm glad it takes so long for new content to come out! After all, when you wait for a very, very, very long time, frantic interest appears: “What’s there? If they’ve been doing it for so long, it’s probably something very large-scale?!” And when it comes out, you rejoice and run to explore this is what you have been waiting for so long!!!

Than if new content comes out every week! There would be no interest!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DIA said:

“What’s there? If they’ve been doing it for so long, it’s probably something very large-scale?!”

We already know what's gonna be there and that it isn't "very large-scale"

They work almost 10 years on this game and have released a dozen of maps, after all this time they should know how long stuff takes (including testing & bug fixes).
I feel like they reduced the team to a bare minimum for whatever reason

• Upvote 4

The schedule was overly ambitious from the start. Hinterland always took a lot longer for updates. And they probably underestimated the difficulty and overestimated the benefits of splitting story and survival mode. It introduced a lot of small issues, and maybe even more than what can be seen after release. But other studios would have struggled with this too.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

They're apparently working on numerous other new projects/games simultaneously. RVL even promoted his second-in-command to take charge of TLD while he concentrated on these new efforts. I feel that's the primary mistake they're making and why everything keeps getting delayed all the time, too many eggs in one basket. Well, this and continuous bug fixes that still keep piling up + unrealistic promised timeframes on top of that. Consoles also need million years of optimization and they still haven't managed to pull out the Switch port.  Splitting the survival mode and story mode as separate technical entities was given as explanation why we were supposedly gonna get new updates faster, but obviously that didn't really happen.

They should just concentrate on
1) Finishing the DLC
2) After that finishing EP5 
3) Then final optimizations, bug fixes and touches to the game + console ports = official finalization of TLD
4) Only then think of the next project(s).

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Hinterland has given several news/update posts, feedback from Admins, and Dev Diaries... this thread feels as though it was just made to be antagonistic.

(or possibly just created by a poster who hasn't read any of the of the news/updates or dev diaries)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Hinterland has given several news/update posts, feedback from Admins, and Dev Diaries... this thread feels as though it was just made to be antagonistic.

(or possibly just created by a poster who hasn't read any of the of the news/updates or dev diaries)

I didn't see it as antagonistic.  I just see someone expressing their frustration.

• Upvote 8

On 9/25/2023 at 1:16 PM, hozz1235 said:

I didn't see it as antagonistic.  I just see someone expressing their frustration.

Agree.  When people put out money for something and it doesn't turn out well due to the seller's pledge and expectations, the buyer has a right to be upset.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 3

I'd say that Hinterland has given me nine years of a wonderful game (and likely for many more years to come).

A game that's been greatly updated, expanded upon, and continues to grow far above and beyond what I've ever gotten for my money with any other game.  Even between the game itself, two soundtrack volumes, and The Far Territory DLC... I've still paid far less than most games I have in my library.

I know there are some folks here who seem to like "throwing stones" when they feel they are not getting what they expect fast enough, and sure... folks have the right to feel however they want about it.  However, I think some of the rather harsh assumptions and accusations are rather unwarranted (given what Hinterland has already provided over the years and show no signs of stopping).

It's not like Hinterland has abandoned the game, took the money, and ran... they have not.
(there are several examples in the Kickstarter/Early Access ecosystem where that was precisely what happened)

Hinterland has been continuing to show and communicate their plans, work, and intentions throughout the years.
I suppose for some, Hinterland may not communicate enough for it to suit some folk's apparent feeling of entitlement... but they do communicate with us.

From what I see, they work hard to deliver on their plans the best that they can, and it's clear to me that they work to fix issues as quickly as they can when things don't go to plan.  We can't know all the issues and challenges they face... I think it's evident that the team is doing the best they can.

I feel that Hinterland has earned a lot of good will.  To me, they more than deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I understand that some feel upset, but I'd also encourage folks to take in a little perspective...

I've said my peace... I'm not interested in being drawn into any protracted arguments about it.
If we don't agree, that's okay. :)  

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 5

It's not entitlement if you've paid for something that was not delivered as advertised. Hinterland has a history of underdelivering in terms of time frame and that's on hinterland, not on the people who have paid them for the work. Canadians should be double upset with them as we have paid for the game twice now.

That being said I personally am glad they're taking time to do things as well as they can. I am perfectly happy to wait for a better product, and I am not personally bothered by the delays. As long as the final product is good I will be happy and I will be more likely to consider buying their next game.

edit----------

Actually thinking about it I realize maybe some people do sound entitled....but that's justly so because they're entitled to the thing they paid for which was not delivered as advertised.

Edited by odizzido
  • Upvote 6

I'd say that Hinterland has given me nine years of a wonderful game (and likely for many more years to come).

A game that's been greatly updated, expanded upon, and continues to grow far above and beyond what I've ever gotten for my money with any other game.  Even between the game itself, two soundtrack volumes, and The Far Territory DLC... I've still paid far less than most games I have in my library.

I know there are some folks here who seem to like "throwing stones" when they feel they are not getting what they expect fast enough, and sure... folks have the right to feel however they want about it.  However, I think some of the rather harsh assumptions and accusations are rather unwarranted (given what Hinterland has already provided over the years and show no signs of stopping).

It's not like Hinterland has abandoned the game, took the money, and ran... they have not.
(there are several examples in the Kickstarter/Early Access ecosystem where that was precisely what happened)

Hinterland has been continuing to show and communicate their plans, work, and intentions throughout the years.
I suppose for some, Hinterland may not communicate enough for it to suit some folk's apparent feeling of entitlement... but they do communicate with us.

From what I see, they work hard to deliver on their plans the best that they can, and it's clear to me that they work to fix issues as quickly as they can when things don't go to plan.  We can't know all the issues and challenges they face... I think it's evident that the team is doing the best they can.

I feel that Hinterland has earned a lot of good will.  To me, they more than deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I understand that some feel upset, but I'd also encourage folks to take in a little perspective...

I've said my peace... I'm not interested in being drawn into any protracted arguments about it.
If we don't agree, that's okay. :)  

PPL have the right to state their feelings about the paid update - its not intended to "throw stones" at Hinterland but to maybe mobilize them to make changes. They did make a nice game but how they handled it the last year or so is just unprofessional and YES im not affraid to say it some ppl may feel cheated. Just because YOU feel like they did so much good stuff that it can slide now doesnt mean others think that way as well and maybe you defend Hinterland too much.... and god forbid someone criticize the studio. 

Anyway it's clear for me from some time now that we "dont agree" and thats ok. 

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

It's not entitlement if you've paid for something that was not delivered as advertised. Hinterland has a history of underdelivering in terms of time frame and that's on hinterland, not on the people who have paid them for the work. Canadians should be double upset with them as we have paid for the game twice now.

edit----------

Actually thinking about it I realize maybe some people do sound entitled....but that's justly so because they're entitled to the thing they paid for which was not delivered as advertised.

Well said. 

In the end i support the studio from the moment i saw the game, bought several copies of the game and would gladly pay for future content  if it comes out but in the same time i would like Hinterland to deliver as planned/promissed in the future - especially if they charge money for it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Like 1

Every few months someone starts a thread just like this one..regardless of how long ago the update or fixes were.. 

It usually ends up as an argument that  gets shut down or it dies out but I'm not sure what's to be gained by writing these threads..

As for mobilising hinterland to change how they do things ,well.. that's not for us to do..  they work hard and produce content when they are ready to..

As it should be....  

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, James Hickok said:

PPL have the right to state their feelings

And I said as much. 
But I think it's bad form to start trying to get hostile just because another opinion won't acquiesce or capitulate.
I wasn't pointing out anyone in particular... why do you assume I was talking about you?  :D 

3 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Anyway it's clear for me from some time now that we "dont agree" and thats ok.

If you really felt it was okay... they why continue to try and pick fights?
I'm not going to take the bait. :D 

Anyway... as I said, I'm not going to be drawn into any protracted arguments about it.
As I mentioned before, I said my peace... and I stand by it.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

If we don't agree, that's okay.

This.  But you didn't say this in your initial response.  Why not just say how you feel and not tell others how they should feel or label/judge them with words such as antagonistic.

hostile

That is your interpretation.  Perhaps it is just how they choose/know how to express themselves.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

And I said as much. 
But I think it's bad form to start trying to get hostile just because another opinion won't acquiesce or capitulate.
I wasn't pointing out anyone in particular... why do you assume I was talking about you?  :D 

If you really felt it was okay... they why continue to try and pick fights?
I'm not going to take the bait. :D 

Anyway... as I said, I'm not going to be drawn into any protracted arguments about it.
As I mentioned before, I said my peace... and I stand by it.  :) 

I didnt assume nothing and im not picking  a fight.  Relax. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

As for mobilising hinterland to change how they do things ,well.. that's not for us to do.. 

Well Leeanda in the end ofc they decide how they run the business but who else than the customers can influence the company to change for better? Dont You think?

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

they work hard and produce content when they are ready to..

As it should be....  

How do you know that for fact? Its just your opinion not facts. 

When they advertise a product and charge money for it they make a contract with the customer to deliver. I dont see them produce when they are ready for after that tbh as you stated. Ofc I personally got over it and will w8 no problem but from a business point of view... well thats my opinion. 

Dont get me wrong i have a lot of respect for the team and their work. I love the game As much As you @ManicManiac and @Leeanda

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

Well Leeanda in the end ofc they decide how they run the business but who else than the customers can influence the company to change for better? Dont You think?

How do you know that for fact? Its just your opinion not facts. 

When they advertise a product and charge money for it they make a contract with the customer to deliver. I dont see them produce when they are ready for after that tbh as you stated. Ofc I personally got over it and will w8 no problem but from a business point of view... well thats my opinion. 

Dont get me wrong i have a lot of respect for the team and their work. I love the game As much As you @ManicManiac and @Leeanda

No offence but I'm not going to get stuck into this debate..  I have enough real life crap going on at the moment..

But are you suggesting that they don't work hard and only put out content when they can be bothered to?  

I bought the dlc and I can't even go to forsaken airfield and I'm not complaining.. sure I'm disappointed a bit but that's not their fault and I'm not demanding they change anything..

I'm not going to say anything else on this.. 

I'm  off to play this beautiful stunning game and maybe kill a moose or two..

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1