Skillet struggle weapon

Smellyfries

I'll be honest this is a very dumb suggestion, but the first time I got my hands on a skillet, I've thought about how effective it would be as a weapon. I mean, it's got a decent handle and weight behind it, so if you'd ever get into a wolf struggle and don't have anything ells, perhaps the good ol' skillet might be enough to stop the wolf from eating you for breakfast by serving it up a delicious cast iron sandwich.

Or you could cook up the wolf a meal and become friends!

Either way I just wanted to share something that has been in the back of my mind for a while.

• Upvote 4

I dunno. I mean, we're playing a game where the aurora borealis turns all the predators into finely tuned killing machines, winter lasts for literally years, every day is twelve hours no matter the date despite being set in Canada's north, and rules of mass and weight kinda don't matter (e.g. water weighs less when it's tea... I mean wtf?)

I think a special dispensation for the skillet as a melee weapon is not a terrible idea given it's ... weighty place in the culture, and I can't help but note that in the context of the game, a skillet is a tool item.

Actually what would be really sweet would be permitting the player to load it up prior to the charge and if they time it right smoke the wolf in the side of the head on leap causing it to miss the player and run away whimpering would be freakin' hilarious.

<charge> <swing> KADONG!!! <flee>

It'd be a bit expensive to implement because of the need to do animation, but man... totally worth it imho. Bonus if you can also use it to bring down deer that happen to be running right by you, as happens from time to time. Here comes the stag, and KADONG!!! and down goes the stag, with the option to use a hunting knife, revolver, rifle, etc to do the coup de grace similar in principle to how we do bunnies now after hitting them with a stone, with a decision needed in like a second or the deer gets up and runs off.

I love it.

Should have a skill associated with it; call it "domestic mayhem" or something.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

While I like the idea… I would worry that this opens up the door to melee combat, which, in my opinion, would make TLD much like The Forest. If we can swing a pan and fend off wolves without a struggle or klonk passing deer, why not do the same with a hatchet? Or a prybar? Or a knife?

Not that The Forest is a bad game… but it’s not TLD. TLD has its own unique flavor, and more opportunities for combat, would, in my opinion, ruin that flavor.

• 3 weeks later...